You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Protective Grandma

Real Ghost Stories

Protective Grandma

 

In late 2010, we were blessed with twins; a boy and a girl. We were overjoyed, but we learned that our daughter was ill and would need life saving surgery before her first birthday. That time came in April 2011. She had a very rough recovery, and there was a time that we weren't sure she would even survive. We brought her home in July, but she was still very sick.

Late one night shortly after she came home, I was watching her and her brother through the video monitor. Suddenly, a solid ball of light appeared in the middle of the room. It was roughly the size of a softball. I watched in amazement as it seem to float with purpose toward my baby girl's crib. It stopped directly over her and hovered there for several seconds before floating into the wall and disappearing. As it went through the wall, I saw and heard static on the monitor.

I instantly thought of the rocking chair in their room. It had belonged to my beloved grandmother, who passed away in 2008. It was so special to me and I felt lucky to have it. It was positioned between the two cribs, which is the general area this ball of light originated. From that moment on, it was my belief that she had a protector. I was still filled with constant worry about her health but it was comforting to think that she was being watched over.

Just the other day, we were talking about my grandma. The kids were asking questions about her, and my now 3 year old son (one of the twins) asked if she could whistle. A trivial question I suppose, but it was important to him. I said, "Yeah, I think she knew how to whistle." Just as I finished saying that, I heard the sweetest little whistle! My oldest daughter, who is 5, was the only one I wasn't looking directly at. I asked her if she did it, and she said she hadn't. I knew this was true because I already knew she doesn't know how to whistle. She seemed to be very interested in the conversation at this point and walked over to us. I just blurted out "Do it again!" And there it was, a second whistle! They were all amused by this and began to giggle. I said "Hmm, I wonder what that could've been?" Then my daughter, with her 5 year old innocence said, "Don't worry mommy, it was probably just the ghost." She then smiled at me like I was silly, and walked away.

Her comment reminded me of an incident a few weeks prior. We had a 5 year old family member staying the night with us. He calmly told me that he felt like someone was standing behind him, but when he turned around nobody was there. I knew exactly what he was talking about, but I didn't want to scare anyone so I said, "Really? That's strange, I wonder why?" He stated, "I think your house is haunted." I quietly suggested that it probably wouldn't be a good idea to mention it to my kids. His response to that was, "But, they already know." I asked him how he knew that. He told me that my oldest daughter told him that there is always a little girl in her room crying when she's trying to sleep at night. I wondered out loud why she never told me. He said that she couldn't tell me because the little girl told her not to. I asked him if my daughter seemed to be afraid of her. He said she wasn't afraid because she was nice. I was shocked by what he was telling me, and I was surprised that he was so calm. He relayed this to me as if we were talking about his day at school.

A little while later, I tried to delicately mention it to my daughter. She ignored me first, then changed the subject. I decided not to press the issue because I didn't want to create fear where there wasn't any previously. I don't know if this was an attempt to scare our guest with a story fabricated by my kindergartner, or if it was indeed true. I feel like if she was going to create a story, it would've been about a monster or something along those lines. One thing I am sure of; if my grandma has been looking over us, she will protect us. She never let anyone mess with her grand kids in life, I've got to believe that remains true to this day.

Other hauntings by Trio

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Trio, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Trio (4 stories) (24 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-10-13)
Ifihadyoux - Yes, she is doing better. It has been a long road, but she is now a sassy, back-talking princess;)

Sushantkar - It's quite reassuring. They know when they're needed the most, who knows you better than family, right?

Valkicry - That's very interesting, I never thought about it like that. I was concerned because I couldn't imagine why she specifically told her not to tell me. In my mind, that was anything but good. Thanks for the perspective. I also wonder who she is and why she was there. I can't come to a reasonable conclusion.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-10-13)
Hi Trio,
I'm with you - no way would Grandma allow any baddies around your kids. Perhaps this little girl spirit has had a bad experience with adults. Indulge me in a bit of conjecture to better illustrate my point; girl spirit makes friends with child, parents find out and make her go away. Again girl spirit makes a friend, but now doesn't want adults to know, out of fear they will make her go away again. Does that make sense? I do wonder why she cries though...
The only thing I can think of is to stay alert to changes in your daughter. If this is not a good spirit, then it won't be long before it starts showing its true colors. Until then, no harm, no foul. Besides Grandma is watching.
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-10-13)
Hi Trio! Nice story. I too believed that our dead ancestors do help us when we are in danger. My mother had seen her mother when my youngest brother was hospitalized due to illness.

With best regards
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-10-13)
I am so sorry to hear about the girl twin but am happy everything turned out all right [or at least I believed it turned out all right from what I gathered in the story]. Sweet that family always comes back to check on you!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: