You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Unseen Entity While Investigating A Crime Scene

Real Ghost Stories

Unseen Entity While Investigating A Crime Scene

 

I am a police officer in Florida. One night, while working the midnight shift, I was dispatched along with another police officer to the scene of a delayed burglary call. The burglary had occurred at a vacant residence, which was located in a rural area and located directly next to an old, closed down and vacant feed store. The feed store had been broken into as well, so myself and the other officer had a lot of work ahead of us.

I entered into the vacant feed store through the front door, and immediately heard what sounded like a "PSSST" type sound. It immediately made me perk up, because it legitimately sounded like someone was saying "PSSSST", as if to get my attention. I looked around with my flashlight and did not find anything there. Thinking my mind was playing tricks on me, I continued about my work and began processing the crime scene for evidence. It should be noted that I was completely in work mode, and not thinking about anything ghost related or paranormal related whatsoever.

After a short time, I exited the feed store to retrieve more supplies from my patrol car. When I walked back into the feed store, this time I immediately heard a loud, quick whistle. It was loud and distinctive enough to make me snap my head around, again sounding as if someone was trying to get my attention. This time, I yelled out "Hello!" and looked around again with my flashlight. Nothing there. For a second, I truly thought maybe the suspect in the break in was still inside and trying to play games or something. But I dispelled that notion after I searched the whole inside of the store and found nothing.

By this point in time, I was slightly freaked but knew that I still had a crime scene to process and a report to write. I shrugged the noises off and concentrated at the task at hand. After a while, I had finished in the feed store and responded back to the original residence, where the other officer was processing his crime scene. I did not mention what I had heard next door, as the other officer probably would have laughed and called me a scaredy cat.

While I was helping him process his scene, he told me the owner of the vacant residence had gone home, as the processing was going to take a long time, and it was about 2:00am. After about 15 minutes or so, we both distinctly heard the sound of a car door opening and closing. Thinking it was the owner, I mentioned to the other officer that the owner must have returned to the scene to check on our progress. Only thing is, no one came into the residence. About 5-10 minutes later, we both heard a car door open and close a second time. This time I said, "I wonder what that guy is doing out there?" Again, we both shrugged it off.

Now, picture this: My patrol car is parked directly in front of the residence, with the front door wide open and my headlights on to provide us light in the house (the house was vacant and therefore had no power). About 5 minutes later, we heard a car door open and close for a THIRD time. This time, the sound of the door closing was significantly close, and sounded exactly like my patrol car door. Thinking that some crazy person had maybe entered my patrol car to try and steal it, we run outside IMMEDIATELY after hearing the sound. We were outside by my patrol car in about 3 seconds. Now, I do not know any human being who could escape detection in 3 seconds. But I swear to you, the owner was NOT outside, and in fact we did not see ONE HUMAN SOUL outside at all. No sound of anyone running away, no one hiding underneath or inside our patrol cars, no NOTHING.

The other officer was more freaked out than I was. We agreed never to talk about it. To this day, this event remains unexplained.

Other hauntings by wolfhunterxx

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, wolfhunterxx, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

cassleigh (1 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-08-17)
Hello!
I am currently researching for a new paranormal show in Toronto Ontario called Unexplained.
I would love to talk to you more about this experience if you are willing. You can reach me at cclancy [at] creamproductions.com if you are willing!

Thanks!
WiniPu4 (207 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-07)
Hello, Wolfhunterxx:

I have many loved ones that have been involved in law enforcement and I have observed that due to their training and experience, their powers of observation far exceed those of us not in a profession that requires such skills. My husband is a former USMC fighter pilot (and civilian pilot) with superlative vision. He would point to a speck in the sky and tell me which airline, make and model of the aircraft it was. I would stare and usually respond with "You mean that speck in the sky?". He would point out the colors and figures on the tail, wingtip vortices, wake turbulence and contrail shapes to describe which precise model it was.
I was once in a nightclub on South Beach, Miami with my "brother" a local detective who whispered in my ear that the girl at the bar next to me was going to steal my purse. As soon as he went to use the restroom, she did.
I'm just saying that it has been my experience that those in professions requiring great powers of observation would naturally rule out scientific explanations immediately. I've seen first-hand how developed these senses are and have come to respect them. I am a former USN photographer, and they put me to shame.
Just my two cents:)
Kind Regards,
Lynev
CoryKeyb (2 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-26)
great story and its really freaked me out... Maybe that place has it own history... Maybe something bad happened in that place before and make it haunted... Try to get more information about it to seek an answer... Sorry for my very bad english...i'm asian.
wolfhunterxx (3 stories) (7 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-26)
Hello all, I just want to say I appreciate your feedback. Although many explanations can possibly be given, the fact remains that we searched the area for quite some time and did not discover any animals running around, and heard no other sounds once coming outside either. As a matter of fact, it was dead quiet outside after we heard the sound of the car door slam. Like I said before, the explanation for the noises I heard during this incident remains unknown.

I would like to share with you all another story from a fellow police officer that I work with. This is not my own experience, but I can vouch for this person and say that I have known her for almost 6 years and she has never told any sort of paranormal story before, and definitely has never talked about or mentioned believing in ghosts or the paranormal.

Two nights ago, my co-worker was laying in bed with her son, Brandon. Her son is 4 years old. (His name has been changed to protect privacy). While laying in bed with Brandon, he says to her, "Mommy, who could THAT be?" She replies to him, "Who baby? It's just you, me, and Onyx in here" (Onyx is her dog). "Do you see someone else with us?' Her son replies, "Yes, he is standing over there!" As he says this, he points to the far corner of the bedroom, and looks as if he is genuinely looking at someone standing there.

At this point, my co-worker became freaked out and scared. She asked her son to give her details about who he sees. He goes on to describe a man named "Mr. Tim". He tells her Mr. Tim was on a boat, and it was stuck on something. He says that Mr. Tim was trying to fix the boat, and he was pushed and hit his head, broke his eye, and died. Brandon goes on to say that Mr. Tim was put into a hole in the ground and had put dirt on him. Now according to my co-worker, her son Brandon has never seen a burial, nor at 4 years old would he know the significance of a burial after death. He went on to say that Mr. Tim was sad, and he wanted to go home but couldn't get there.

Additionally, my co-worker's nanny commented on her Facebook page this morning. The following statement was copied and pasted, taken directly from the comments she left on my co-workers Facebook page:

"So...I wasn't going to mention a word but yesterday when I was in Brandon's room picking up toys I felt not alone. Like someone was by the closet. Not in but by, if you noticed I got outta there quick. And when I went back in to vacuum it was a very strong feeling. But a heavy sad feeling. And when I was cleaning that bathroom as I was scrubbing the shower I kept making sure the door stayed open because I saw a shadow on the bath tub wall in that mirror on the back of the door."

This story is 100% authentic. This occurred just a couple of nights ago. I confirmed with her that everything she told me was the truth, and not an embellishment or her just messing around. Don't think you guys can explain this one away! And again, thanks for reading and contributing.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-26)
Hi, wolfhunterxx Nice story I am not familiar with that area... But just want to ask did you tried to get history of that place or house?
Angmorr (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-23)
What a great story! Very creepy experience indeed.

My husband is a police officer, and he has had a similar experience while searching for a suspect. Maybe I can get him to re-tell me and get it posted here. Thanks again for the post!
Raftingirl (2 stories) (113 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-21)
wolfhunterxx - I agree with some of the others. Many of the sounds you heard could have been an animal or animals. Did you check in the attic if there was one? Also rats can be prone to make both of the sounds you described, especially if in the walls.

Otherwise it sounds like it was creepy. Luckily no one pinched your patrol car:) Stay safe!
WiniPu4 (207 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-20)
Hello, wolhunterxx & welcome to YGS! I am retired military also living in FL (central). I enjoyed your story very much and have "favorited" it. My mother owned a home (when I was young) in FL which we called "The Enchanted House", where we saw & heard many unexplainable things. It turned out that the former owners had been metaphysical researchers during their lifetimes; studying paranormal things in a scientific way well before such things were mainstream.
I think you might enjoy another of my favorite stories, called "The Rundown Abandoned Farm" by a PO in Ohio:
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=13113
Warm Regards,
Lynev
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-19)
wolfhunterxx
I believe what you and the other officer experienced was an intelligent haunting. My question is why you didn't go back in the light of day to look around to see why the spirit was trying to get your attention? You may have stumbled onto a much more serious crime scene. Or you might have found a piece of evidence as to who broke into the feed store and vacant residence.
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-18)
When I lived in the bush as a kid, we had a wild lyre bird that could emulate the sound of a car door precisely... So funny... They hear sounds and replicate them, even chainsaws... This however, doesn't sound to me like any kind of animal (or the wind for that matter) ... My opinion is that the only way to really know the difference between an encounter with a spirit or a series of unexplainable events is intuition. You would know if the place was haunted because you would feel it. Humans are animals, like more sensitive animals such as horses or cats, we spook when we feel presence. We are only inclined to rationalise it in order to reassure ourselves we are the ones in control of this plane of existence. If you say the place was haunted, I'm inclined to believe you because this story is direct and credible and without embellishment.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2014-10-17)
wolfhunterxx- Seeing that you are/were are trained officer "in work mode", I think you DID hear what you explained. If in fact it was paranormal then I would say it was an intelligent "haunting". I haven't seen or heard any critters that "pssst" and whistle.

Now the car door sounds me more of a possible residual type haunting/experience. Both are possible in one location.

Thanks for sharing and your service to the community! Would love to hear more if you have any.
wolfhunterxx (3 stories) (7 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-16)
Oh and also the nearest residence was a good quarter mile away. And this was happening at 2:00am in a very rural area.
wolfhunterxx (3 stories) (7 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-16)
Answers to your questions:

There is no way the wind opened and closed the car door. When we went outside both of the vehicle doors were in fully closed positions. It was the distinctive sound of the car door opening and someone closing the door. Yes I was the one collecting evidence that's why we were on scene for so long. I agree it's possible the noises COULD have been the wind or other natural occurrence while I was inside the feed store, but the whistle was one of those quick loud whistles someone does when they try to get your attention. All in all just a creepy experience.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-16)
The only thing I would say is maybe the wind was making the car door move back and forth? The sound of it closing and opening could have been the door trying to clasp shut but it didn't so it opened again?
That's all I could come up with.
Or an animal.
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-16)
The Psst could have been an animal, since you said the properties are vacant. Vacant properties have a tendency to make strange sounds, from animals to settling, to water leaks.

The car door sounds I don't have anything for, since that is a fairly unique sound. How far was the nearest residence?

Random question: were you actually the ones collecting the evidence from the scene?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: