You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: One Unexplained Voice And One Odd Car Incident

Real Ghost Stories

One Unexplained Voice And One Odd Car Incident

 

I have never believed in ghosts of any kind. I was brought up as a devout Christian and still stand firm by my beliefs, although my understanding of those beliefs has developed as I have matured. However, despite not believing in ghosts, I cannot deny I have had strange experiences that to this day, I still cannot explain (even though I may have my theories).

The first occurred when I was in secondary school. I was walking to school one day (listening to music and not paying much attention to the road!) As I began to cross the road, I heard my mother's voice distinctly shout my name in a state of shock and then "STOP!" After hearing this, I stopped immediately and a car drove straight past me (it was so close had I taken another step it would have run me down!) I looked behind me instantly to see my mum. But she wasn't there. I couldn't understand it, I heard her voice clear as day as though she were behind me from a distance. She was nowhere to be seen though. This really confused me because I know I'd heard her and whatever had happened, whatever the voice was, it had saved me from getting hurt.

I asked my mum about it and she believed it was a guardian angel, protecting me from harm. Even though this experience unsettled me a little because I couldn't explain it, I feel at ease and do not feel disturbed when thinking about it or talking about it. I genuinely am thankful that it happened (strange as it was) because I know the events could have been much worse had it not happened.

The second experience, however, was a little stranger and slightly more disturbing. I think it also happened during my secondary school years but I can't specifically remember how old I was - although I did have a witness this time to confirm my story. It was early on a Saturday morning and my brother and I were downstairs watching TV. My brother was sat in the chair opposite the bay window in the living room. I was sat on the couch that was also in view of the bay window and directly in our view was our gravel driveway.

Then to our confusion, our car came down the driveway. It stopped and we thought nothing of it assuming that it was our mum. I asked my brother, "Hey, has mum been out this morning? It's a little early isn't it?" He shrugged it off and said she had probably been to a prayer meeting but he was also confused and a little unsettled. We waited a while, assuming that she would come in the front door any minute - but she never did. We went to look out the window and saw that the car was empty - there was no one in the driving seat and there was no one in the driveway.

Confused and a little bit freaked out, my brother went out to see the car. When he tried to open the passenger door, it was locked. He then tried the driver's door and that was also locked. When he confirmed it was locked, I was started to get a little freaked out.

So, we went upstairs to our parents' room and to our shock our parents were both in bed. I then went to check to see if the car key was in the bowl in the kitchen where mum always put it and low and behold it was there! The key was in the bowl and it was the only car key. We woke up my parents and told them what happened but they didn't believe us. They said we must have been dreaming or one of us had dreamt it and then told the other one and that we had got each other wound up.

The thing is, we know what we saw. We saw the car come down the driveway, we heard the sound of the wheels on the gravel. The one thing, I think about now when I think back to it that I hadn't noticed before was that I didn't hear the engine. At all. It was as if it was completely silent.

My brother, mum and I went on holiday last summer to the Isle of Man and when I brought it up again to my brother, he told me to stop because it was freaking him out. He remembers it to this day, so do I but it was so unusual and inexplicable that we can't seem to go on talking about it without feeling uncomfortable.

We told a few people during the time and I have told a few people since but no one believes us. It's difficult trying to make people believe something that sounds so ridiculous even if it did really happen. Nothing like that has ever happened before or since but it won't ever be something we'll ever forget. Just one of those things that won't ever be explained.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Rarrkel, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-05-28)
Rarrkel, the car thing does sound a bit ridiculous but I do believe because ridiculous things happen. 😊 it reminds me of Stephen king's christened and Maximum Overdrive. But I can't seem to come up with explaination for this, and it was a good thing you heard that unexplained voice.
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-05-26)
I don't suppose it could be possible that the parking brake wasn't on or fully deployed and the car rolled a few feet down the driveway, ran out of momentum or encountered an obstacle and stopped?
WiniPu4 (207 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-05-24)
Hello:

It almost sounds like you might have experienced what it called a timeslip. These are time anomalies, or rather glitches in the space-time fabric. These anomalies have subcategories, one of which are "time loops"; events which play out inconsistently with our linear timeline. They can occur before or after the actual event. In many time anomalies, a lack of sound or sound distortions are reported. There are also other characteristics reported which may be of interest to you if you care to research them.
There are many who believe that many of our "ghostly" encounters may actually be time anomalies.
Just a thought.
Blessings,
Lynev
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-05-23)
Hi Rarrkel and welcome to YGS.
Although I can't explain the car incident except to agree with Rook. The incident you had when you thought your mom yelled your name I can say that someone was watching over you. I had a similiar experience except I was physically grabbed from running across the street. I turned to look over my shoulder to see who had grabbed me but nobody was there. I turned my head back around and a car came
Speeding past me. If something didn't grabbed me I would have been gravely injured or killed. Just be thankful that you have someone watching over you. Believe me yours may save your life again one day.
Regards
Red
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-05-23)
One question I have is this... Is it possible that someone used your driveway to turnaround in... You saw them pull partway up the drive... But somehow missed them backing out? Just a thought I had while reading yor experience.

Thank you for sharing...

Respectfully,

Rook
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-05-22)
Hi Rarrkel and welcome.

It must be very strange when something happens that doesn't align with your faith. Then to have people brush you off or not believe you, well that's just frustrating and pretty rude of people too.

I have some physical suggestions for you.
The voice you heard yelling could have been your own subconscious manifested as your Mother's voice. Perhaps, on an unconscious level, you instinctively knew there was danger and acted accordingly.

I have some questions about your driveway.
Is it on a slope?
If so, was the direction the car was moving in down the slope or up the slope?
If the car was moving down a slope it could be that whoever drove it last didn't put the hand break on hard enough. Given temperature changes, humidity, and whatever other factors, allowed the right conditions for the car to roll according to gravity in that moment.
This would depend on your driveway and if there was a neutral point at which the car could come to a natural stop due to level ground or anything which would cancel gravity.

These are only suggestions to consider. Both incidents must have been truly bizarre to experience!
Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: