You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: What's That In The Back Corner Of The Classroom?

Real Ghost Stories

What's That In The Back Corner Of The Classroom?

 

It was during school choir camp when I was in Sec 1. My school was (and still is) located in the western side of Singapore and in that particular neighbourhood, the surrounding area is well-known to have weird happenings. By the time it got dark, the school did look creepy. There were 2 blocks, of which 1 was out of bounds to anyone during the school holiday period. So we had to sleep in Block A, divided into 2 (I think) classrooms. Of course, the senior students kept telling us numerous scary stories about haunted spots around the school the entire day. One of the stories was that if you heard someone walking along the corridors, dragging their slippers, that's a tell-tale sign of a ghost. Not going to lie, I was scared but I had my close friends so I tried to be brave about it.

Before lights-out, most of us had already slipped into our sleeping bags for the night. We formed 2 rows of about maybe 7 girls in the room with all chairs and desks pushed to the side where the windows were. My friends and I took the back row, lying down with our heads towards the back of the classroom. When it's finally time, some of the seniors wished us a good night before giving one last scare, "If you hear someone asks you 'what's your name' in Mandarin, don't answer!" Then they switched off all lights in the classroom and scuttled away just as some of the more timid girls screamed. Me? I just froze.

But we all calmed down soon enough and there was just silence. I said a prayer and tried to fall asleep despite how uncomfortable I was. That's when I heard a soft sound of the back door opening. The same one that the seniors closed just now. I was like, really? Another scare? Some rustling... A couple footsteps...

"Eh sorry ah, I want my Oreo!"

I could hear a huge collective sigh of relief from all of us in the room when we heard our senior's voice. Basket! We shooed away whoever it was and she apologized before leaving. I said another prayer to further calm myself down and closed my eyes.

That's when I heard it. More footsteps, as if coming from the same back door. I can't remember if the door had opened before I heard it. But I definitely could sense someone walking behind my head. The footsteps were slow but not draggy. Very soft. What I felt the most was its presence and my fear. It was very silent and my heart started beating really, really fast.

I assumed it was another one of the seniors looking for more snacks or something but the footsteps went all the way to the back corner of the classroom and stopped.

So I did the not so stupid thing of slowly turning my head to peek at whoever or whatever is behind me. I didn't know why but in that moment, I wanted to see it. I was scared so I took my time turning my head to look up towards it and immediately bowed down when I saw something glowing white.

STUPIDSTUPIDSTUPID! (Sorry, but I was seriously freaking out inside)

NO IDEA WHAT THAT WAS, DIDN'T WANNA KNOW, OH MY GOD HELP ME! I quickly started praying, repeating whatever I knew over and over in my head. Not sure if it's because I was so scared that I imagined it but I could have sworn that it came closer to me. But I just kept on praying and hoping for morning to come. Thankfully, I somehow fell asleep with no further disturbances.

The next day, I couldn't stop thinking about it. I was petrified but didn't say a word to my friends or anyone else. What a crazy night. Ever since then, I hate the idea of camping.

Other hauntings by igotnorolemodel

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Singapore

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, igotnorolemodel, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

igotnorolemodel (2 stories) (13 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-15)
[at] Tweed: Your experience was a very good read! Thanks for sharing. It's interesting how the thing was that intrigued by the pen. Haha I look forward to reading about your Dad's experience. The other glowing type of ghost story was undoubtedly creepy.:|

[at] sheetal: Thanks, sheetal!:) Bad history? Not that I know of. All I know is that it's in a well-known "dirty" town. The whole place used to be a rural outback with undeveloped areas occupied by forests, farmlands and factories. The school itself is near a park where visitors can get disturbed by strange sightings. The school too is notorious for weird noises and sightings. People living near it have complained before about random ringing of the school bell and the lights of one classroom suddenly switched on, both happened late at night.

[at] lady-glow: You have an... Interesting name:| lol Thanks for reading.:) Yeah schools everywhere have their fair share of ghost stories. Oh your poor principal! Haha these stories can get quite ridiculous. As for whether my experience was a prank, I'm not sure. Could be, who knows? And yeah, I do keep in touch with some of my former classmates but I've never talked to them about this story. It was only recently that I posted my story on my Facebook (inspired by an article) and one of them mentioned how she also heard footsteps that night.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-15)
Ignrm: that's an interesting story.
I guess schools all over the world have their own 'ghost story'. The school I attended during my elementary studies was supposed to be haunted by the spirits of the kids the principal had killed by hanging them in the gym! 😆
...The principal was a really nice and good lady that wouldn't dare to smack a fly.

Would it be possible that one, or more, of the senior girls were playing a prank on the younger ones?
Do you know if anyone else ever saw something similar to what you saw?
Do you still keep in touch with your former classmates and if so, have you asked if they remember hearing and/or seeing anything that night?

Anyway, a camping night wouldn't be fun without a ghost story!

Thanks for sharing.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-15)
Hey, igotnorolemodel Very nicely written I enjoyed your story... Does your school has any bad history?
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-14)
Igotnorolemodel,

There's other stories on here with glowing type apparitions. Mine was some kind of non human entity I think. You can read it here:
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=22337

But your experience is more like my Dad's. He saw a human ghost. I would love to share his experience one day. I'd have to get his go ahead first though, sure that won't be a problem. I've been meaning to do this for a while but keep forgetting to ask!

Here's another glowing type of ghost story which may interest you:
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=21450
igotnorolemodel (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-14)
Hi Tweed, thanks for reading. Do share your experiences. I'd love to hear them:)

This story happened 12 years ago so my memory of it may have exaggerated what actually happened. But I do believe that I saw it quite well because it's still so vivid in my mind. I'm not sure how big it actually was because I only took a quick look at it before hiding in my sleeping bag haha Though I did manage to see what looked like the bottom of a white dress. Sounds weird, I know. But it's the only thing that makes sense because I've seen something else that looked like that before (another story for another day lol)

When thinking back about this experience, my adult mind is trying to reason that it probably looked like it was glowing because it's white but it's probably nothing and the classroom was just really dark. I can't recall if there were lights on outside. But I believe the shutters were all closed. It could be my imagination running wild after listening to the stories at the time though but who knows? Haha
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-14)
Hi Igotnorolemodel,

Your experience reminds me of a very bizarre mixture of two separate incidents. One happened to my Dad and the other happened to me. At different times with different ghosts. The details of your experience was like reading a strange dream for me with the similarities merged together. I enjoy weird coincidences like that, so it was a real thrill to read! 😊
How well were you able to see that glowing? How big was it? Did it resemble a shape? How bright was the glow?

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: