You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Hallway Of Footsteps

Real Ghost Stories

Hallway Of Footsteps

 

This is my 3rd story. As the previous story briefly touched on my grandparents, I thought my next would be of my own experiences at grandma's house.

Around 1980, when I was around 17 years old, I lived with my grandparents for about 6 months. I had spent the first 8 years of my life living next door to grandma and grandpa, with a gate in the back side fence for easy access. I was at grandma's every spare second I had. Hence, I was very close to them.

Age 17 I moved in with them. They had lived in this house for approximately 53 years at the time. They had a bedroom right up the front of the house and Aunty Dot (who was not a real aunty) also had a bedroom at the front of the house. From here there was a long hallway through the lounge room, through the dining room, past my bedroom door and out to the kitchen. The hallway had a plastic runner for the full length, and was easy to hear when someone was walking down the hall.

One night, around 10pm, everyone else was in bed, I was in my bedroom with the door closed, and I was reading and had the TV on quietly. I heard footsteps coming down the hallway from the front of the house. Now, it was quite common at night that Aunty Dot would get out of bed and go to the kitchen for a snack. So being the stupid teenager that I was, I thought I would jump out and give her a fright. I waited with my ear pinned to my door, listening to the footsteps as they got closer and closer, and just as they got to outside my bedroom door, I swung the door open and went "rah!". There was NO ONE there.

I closed the door, felt a little stupid, and then started wondering about the footsteps on the plastic hall runner, because they WERE there. Then I heard the footsteps making their way back up the hallway to the front of the house. I waited until they passed my door, then peeked out, NO ONE there.

Now I should point out that both Aunty Dot and my grandparents were elderly, and did not move very quickly, so it is not a case of them passing by quickly and I missed them.

The following day, over a cuppa, I related this story to my grandmother. I could tell her anything, as she was the best and kindest grandma in the world (I realize you think your grandma was, but you are wrong, lol). Immediately she tells me, "Oh that's just the ghost, she's been here since we moved here. I have seen her often." I told grandma that I didn't see her, just heard her footsteps, and grandma said she had often seen her walking the hallway. She was a girl of about 14 years, dark skinned perhaps aboriginal, wearing a long white night gown, and carrying a lit candle on a holder / plate.

This was all she said, and we never spoke of it again, as it seemed so ordinary, not at all unusual, and we just accepted it. In case you are wondering, there were no bad or scary feelings, and nothing bad happening, she was just there.

Other hauntings by luckdragon

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, luckdragon, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Ainhoa (4 stories) (20 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-15)
I have read somewhere that ghosts have tendency to repeat the same movements like an obsession. An it occurs in cases of attachment to the objects. I have a strong feeling that the holder/plate remains somewhere in the house.

By the way, your grandma was so cool! She was so chilled out and said "Oh that's just the ghost":) I guess I will never be a cool grandma since I'm a coward in these matters.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-15)
luckdragon- Your grandmother sounds like she's a wise lady.

I agree with Azraelx on this being "residual". Curious though how long has the "plastic runner" been there. Often residual would not include the runner unless it was there during their time.

Azraelx- Not all hauntings by actual entities are "scary". We had one at our last location that was a freaking HOOT! It had us laughing to the point of tears several times. I encourage you to read some of the accounts of our button pusher/tooter 😆

Thanks for sharing luckdragon.
sheld999 (14 stories) (74 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-15)
Wonder if she reacted to you...

:ghostly girl. Yawn what is this human doing

Lol anyways good story. You had anymore encounters with this girl?
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-15)
It would be interesting to do a bit of research on the land the house was built on - I don't know, I just get the feeling she is tied to the land. I wonder if any tribes once lived in the area or if a sacred site was nearby or maybe a school or mission. I don't know too much about the history of Australian Aboriginal peoples and their interactions with white settlers but a better handle might give some clue.

I wonder if her presence was active or residual - your grandmother (who sounds fantastic) said she saw her, was she ever doing anything other than pacing the hall?

Argette, what is a watch keeper? I like the sound of it:)
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (308 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-03-15)
This reminds me of when I visited my grandparents, when I was younger. My grandma told me about the woman ghost that lives in their house, and how she likes to hide their stuff etc. I might write about that experience someday too.
AzraelX (8 stories) (115 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-15)
In my opinion & understanding, there are two kind of hauntings.

Residual Haunting - in which images of life of previous occupant or person/persons are recorded on some medium and plays in loop in the present. These are not malevolent at all.

Hauntings by actual entities - These are scary. These could be just haunting by entities who simply don't care for who is there in th area and those malevolent entities who directly affects the life of the persons in the area.

I guess the "footsteps" is part of Residual Haunting.
Meghana23 (3 stories) (32 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-15)
Did you know why that girl was there in that place?
But it is a good story.
I liked it.

Thanks for sharing.
Argette (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-14)
Luckdragon, your grandmother was a very wise lady! Sometimes you just have to live side by side with spiritual entities. Your grandma knew that, and she accepted it.

The girl with the candle seems to have been harmless. Perhaps she was a watch keeper?

Grandma sounds very cool. I loved my grandmother, too, and spent about a month or so out of every year at her house.

Good times, gone too soon.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: