You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Man Under The Staircase

Real Ghost Stories

Man Under The Staircase

 

So this started while I was with a group of friends having a sleepover. It was in October, 2016. We decided we wanted to go for a walk in the dark, bearing in mind my friend's house is on a cliff by the sea. We went out, then came back in. Everyone wanted to go out again, and I volunteered to exit first. Now, to get to the front door you have to go down an outside wooden staircase. I stepped outside and underneath the staircase is an apparition. It's in a crawling position. It didn't have any facial features and was quite pale. It was wearing all black. I know it didn't have any features, but it's head was "looking" at me. It then said "boo". I stood there shocked and whispered "f*ck this sh*t run." Everyone heard it "boo" but I was the only person to see it. We all ran inside and I didn't go back outside. I researched a tiny bit, and the thing I saw resembled a "slender man". Ever since this happened, creepy things have been happening to me. I'll probably write a whole story on some of these things, as they're quite detailed, but I'll put in a quick one. It actually happened last night. I was staying at my dad's, girlfriends's, parents' house. I couldn't sleep at all. The whole night eerie stuff went down. I could hear constant heavy breathing, footsteps on the landing which lasted for ages, I asked my family if they had been walking about and none of them had. There was a mirror in the room on the wall, almost opposite the bed. I looked in it and a fuzzy, white thing was floating next to the curtain. I looked and it had disappeared. If anyone knows what the thing I saw was, or knows anything, please tell me.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, holly137, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-05-21)
Let's end this now...

The Slender Man (also known as Slenderman) is a fictional supernatural character that originated as a creepypasta Internet meme created by Something Awful forums user Eric Knudsen (also known as "Victor Surge") in 2009.

This was for a photo shop contest...

It went a little something like this...

The Slender Man was created on June 10, 2009 on a thread in the Something Awful Internet forum. The thread was a photoshop contest in which users were challenged to edit everyday photographs to appear paranormal. The above mentioned poster contributed two black and white images of groups of children, to which he added a tall, thin spectral figure wearing a black suit. Although previous entries had consisted solely of photographs, these were supplemented with snatches of text - supposedly from witnesses - describing the abductions of the groups of children, and giving the character the name "The Slender Man":

The quote under the first photograph read:

"We didn't want to go, we didn't want to kill them, but its persistent silence and outstretched arms horrified and comforted us at the same time...

-  1983, photographer unknown, presumed dead."

The quote under the second photograph read:

"One of two recovered photographs from the Stirling City Library blaze. Notable for being taken the day which fourteen children vanished and for what is referred to as "The Slender Man". Deformities cited as film defects by officials. Fire at library occurred one week later. Actual photograph confiscated as evidence.

-  1986, photographer: Mary Thomas, missing since June 13th, 1986."

These additions effectively transformed the photographs into a work of fiction and started an internet sensation. Subsequent posters expanded upon the character, adding their own visual or textual contributions, thus expanding and helping to create a complete mythology that people began to believe.

PLEASE, PLEASE do your research. Even the Simple Awful forums are running a campaign asking people to NOT BELEIVE the Slender Man stories that originated on their site... LOOK IT UP...

Http://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/slenderman-photoshops/1/

Respectfully,

Rook
Cimmak (1 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-21)
I have to highly disagree with the several people telling you that slender man is not real. The concept of slender man as a video game with tentacles coming out of him and what not is NOT real but there is a real slender man. I know this because in the summer of 2012/13 up until the spring of the next year my brother was being haunted by what paranormal investigators would call slender man. He is an eight foot tall shadowy figure who appears to be wearing a suit with a red tie and red glowing eyes (if he is angry). My brother described that 7 children would often be accompanied by him.
What you are describing does not sound like slenderman to me but most likely a form of a shadow person. Http://www.shadowpeople.org/
This link will give you more information if that is what you saw.
Since you are saying you continue to have creepy things happening to you, I would suggest doing a cleansing on your house before things start to get worse.
Https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ghostlyactivities.com/8-ways-to-clear-spirits-ghosts-home/amp/
I would suggest reading through the whole article. I would probably focus on telling the spirit to leave, saying things like "you are not welcome here" "leave this house" or I was even told to say "there's the door, don't let it hit you on the way out", smudging your house with sage, and probably putting a line of salt at the front of your doorway.
I really hope this helps! I know when my brother and I were going through similar, something like this really would have helped!
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-01)
Hah! I have to say, whether this was paranormal or a prankster, I love Holly's 100 proof pragmatic response - 'f*ck this sh*t'!
JackSnow47 (1 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-04-25)
Hi! My dad has many stories of ghosts when he was little he said he lived with three. I didn't believe him but I asked his mom and she said it was real but that's another story!
My dad said that the ghost told he "Ghosts won't appear in mirrors unless they are haunting the mirror. Has anything else happened in that mirror? Plus not to make you think I don't believe but if you were up late the ghost could have been in your imagination! Hope I helped
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-04-25)
I'll 'see' lady-glow's comment and raise another question...

If the Home your were INSIDE was raised how did you walk outside and, well here let me quote the O/P:

"We went out, then came back in. Everyone wanted to go out again, and I volunteered to exit first. Now, to get to the front door you have to go down an outside wooden staircase. I stepped outside and underneath the staircase is an apparition."

Were you looking 'DOWN' through the slats of a wooden 'porch/deck' where the front door was, or do you mean you were looking 'directly under' the stairs (had you gone down and turned around to 'encourge' or hurry the others outside)?

Let's see...

October: Check

Human Figure in a dark colored/black cloak/robe: Check

Scare Factor: Check (possible apparition says 'Boo'!)

Odd's of being a Prank: High

As far as staying "at my dad's, girlfriends's, parents' house." and the things you heard...

Is the home stand alone (or trailer), a duplex, a condominium or an apartment?

These can play into what you experienced... Also the AGE of 'said home'...How OLD is the 'building'? How hard was the wind blowing the night you stayed? What I am trying to point out is that if this was your first time in this house... Which sounds COULD HAVE had Natural Causes that you just were not used to? Footsteps can be old wooden floors or stairs 'pooping' back into place after being walked on. The sound of Breathing may have been caused by the wind blowing through a poor closed/insulated window.

Lastly, the 'fuzzy white thing' you saw... Could that have been the reflection of headlights shining through the window and being reflected in the mirror?

ALL possible 'Natural Causes' HAVE to be ruled out before the Paranormal can be considered.

Respectfully,

Rook
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-04-23)
Hi Holly

Thanks for sharing.

As LadyGlow has pointed out, this "Slenderman" myth is just that; an urban myth that has developed a life of its own thanks to the internet and is now considered by many to be actually REAL (and yes, some of our fellow humans can be far more dangerous and disturbing than our spiritual friends around us)

Consider changing the name of Slenderman to "The Bogeyman" and you'll get my point; a mythical, evil creature that is a manifestation of our fears of the unknown and a symbol of our own approaching mortality. Consider changing the word Slenderman to "The Grim Reaper" even, etc etc
Many people fear death, and these creatures become the embodyment of that fear, I believe.

The aspect of your recount that, for me, doesn't make sense, or needs detailing, is how if no one else in your group didn't see anything, but you suddenly bolted inside, why would they follow?

If I was in that situation, and someone suddenly legged it inside for no apparent reason, I wouldn't follow, unless I was in an already heightened state of fear as part of that group. And when you are in that heightened state of fear (teenage sleepovers - Bloody Mary - toothbrush assaults etc) then you are inclined to see or hear anything that is suddenly some kind of supernatural creature.

Obviously I wasn't there but I can guess on the mood when you all decided to go for a night walk - it was scary and exciting and thrilling and you all decided to go out because as individuals you were all too scared to go alone?

That group mentality can be a powerful feeling to be swept up in.

The feelings and experiences you felt post that night could all be the work of an overactive imagination?

Anyway, I hope I have been of some assistance.

Regards
Mack
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+4
7 years ago (2017-04-23)
Fortunately, Slenderman is not real:

Https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slender_Man

As for what you saw that OCTOBER night crouching under the stairs, it could have been a person in a costume playing a prank on you, there are many living weirdos in the world even more dangerous than any spirit. You're lucky he kept his clothes on.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: