You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Shadow Under The Door

Real Ghost Stories

The Shadow Under The Door

 

I must say that I have had loads of things happan to me, and this is only one of them. On this day I was working for the local council, and was based in a very old farm house, which was said to be haunted by a old farmer who died on the farm.

On this day I came into work, and was getting on with some work, when the daily cleaner Linda, asked me to go to the rear of the old house as she had heard it was haunted and she was worried she might see something bad.

I went around back with her to check on these rooms. Now, these rooms were old, and you can see they were part of the old farmhouse as all the internal doors were made of old planks and had no locks or latches on them, and the hinges were made of leather.

The first room we went into was used for changing, when the children changed for football practise, and second room had a table tennis table in it and seating.

We checked around both rooms, and they were both clean and tidy so we started to leave when one of the old doors suddenly slammed shut. I tried to push it open but I could not move it. I also pulled but nothing would move it. Suddenly the cleaner shouted out. "Look!" she said. I went back to where she was standing and she was pointing to the bottom of the old door.

I looked down and saw a black shadow under the door, pacing up and down. I first thought it was another member of the staff playing a joke on us, so I shouted out, OPEN THIS DOOR, then suddenly the door flew open, all by it =self.

We expected to see a member of staff on the other side of the door, but there was no one about.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Skully, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-10-18)
It must have been the old farmer that died there perhaps? 😨 Maybe he doesn't want anyone there. I think the older a place is the more likely it may be haunted. Thank you for sharing and looking forward to more of your "happenings." ❤
RSAChick (115 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-10-15)
I also liked this story. Noticed you won't participate, hope that was a mistake and you'll come back to answer questions.

More stories from you also welcome!
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-10-15)
This is absolutely the reason that I do not close my bedroom door! There is a glow that comes from under the door when I close it and one of my phobias is that I will see a shadow walk up to the door and be visible under the door. Of course, when you investigate, no one is there. This has not happened only because I do not close my door!
WisconsinLady (1 stories) (52 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-10-11)
Great short story and welcome to YGS! Looks like the cleaning lady was right to ask you to accompany her.:)

I believe this could be paranormal, but I do have a theory about some "shadow under doors" experiences. If the floor or door frame/door is uneven, especially in older buildings, this can cause small changes in the amount of light coming in from under the door. If you move your head slightly, the changing light amounts look like shadow. I've experienced this. Sometimes it looks like everything is even until you study the floorboards, door, and door frame more closely. Just an idea.

I can't explain the aspects of the door not opening. You say it had no locks or latches? Could the old age of the frame or wood expansion from heat cause it to get stuck if a draft slammed the door shut?

Have others experienced this same thing? What have others experienced here?

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks for sharing your story!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: