You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Only Exception - My Paranormal Experience Part1

Real Ghost Stories

The Only Exception - My Paranormal Experience Part1

 

Before I start, let me just tell you my views about the paranormal (ghost and elemental, etc). I am a believer that those things/entities really exist but I haven't really seen, feel or have any contact with them. I am now 27 years old, married and have kids and not one single experience with them (though I love reading horror, ghost, elemental stories and am never a scared cat). But, there is always an exception, and I have one.

Remembering, it seems unreal, like it didn't happen at all. But it did. It did. And it feel like it's just another scary story I have read or watched before. I never talked about it to anyone other than my family, never have the heart to tell anyone my story after it happened and ended. Only my immediate family knows of this and me. So let me tell you, how it all happened.

It was probably the year 2003 or 2004, I forgot the exact year, but I was in my 3rd year of high school when it all started. We live in a city in Cebu, one of those developing cities where urban and rural life is merging. We live near the business district, crowded yet there is a sense of provincial vibe to it.

My parents built our house in a lot owned by my mother's ancestors. I love that place. We were living next to our cousins, relatives, all of us living in one area/compound. Our house is right next to the ancestral home of my great-great-grandparents (mom's side). It's really very old, dating back Spanish era time, and have been renovated but preserved throughout the years.

Right next to it is the only living tree in our compound, which still survived. They could not cut it down because, according to our oldies, elemental spirits are living in the tree (forgive me but I don't know or forgot what tree it is). It is huge and looks really old.

Several ghost stories surrounding our ancestral home and the tree have been passed down from one generation to the next. White lady passing by floating in the air, squealing pig wearing bakya (traditional wooden slipper) roaming the second floor of the house, huge black man-like figure seen smoking cigar up in the tree, a sigbin (mythical creature in Filipino folklore) and other horror stories that I love to hear and enjoyed listening to as a child. I don't get spooked easily, so it never was a scary thing for me. But, everything that I believe in and not believe is about to change.

It was past midnight, I was sure of that, when I heard a woman softly calling my name. Her voice is very enchanting like you would want to listen to it and follow it wherever it leads you. I was already asleep by the way, I just sleepily woke up to her voice beckoning me to open the back door of our house and go out to her.

Now you would be alarmed if you happen to know where our back door actually leads. It actually leads you out to the canal dike about 10 feet (or more) high. If you open the back door, you'd step directly on the dike's topmost part. Ten feet below is the clean canal. This used to be a small river, leading to the sea. It's hard to explain but that's how I can describe it, since our house is built on the edge of the ancestral lot and the dike serves as the border.

It really didn't mean anything to me that time. Why is the voice beckoning for me to go out? I didn't even question what her motive is or why. But when I woke up the next day, I was sitting under our dining table in the kitchen where our back door is. I dismiss what happened, didn't feel alarmed or scared even. I just had a vague memory of what happened last night. But that incident was followed by another same episode. The same thing would happen every night, I would wake up (or be half-awake) to a voice asking me to come out of our house and wake up in the morning under the dining table. This went on for a week, and I never told my parents about it, I didn't think of it at that time as alarming. It was just probably sleepwalking, though I never was one who sleep walks before that or even now.

However, it escalates from simply hearing a voice calling me to go out. I also began having a dream. In the dream, I was near the sea, I'm in the beach collecting these pretty seashells. Then I look up and saw a white lighthouse in the sea (probably 20 meters away from me), there's a cemented path that leads to it from the beach. A figure of a man in white is there. He's beckoning me by his hands, like asking me to come to him. Then my dream would end and I would wake up the next day, again, under the dining table. This is when I started to feel uneasy, like somehow, something is not right. That I shouldn't be having that dream. I was beginning to get scared.

This went on again for a week, same exact dream. Same place (however not familiar to me), same scenario, same man. But, each night he seems to be getting closer to me. I can't see his face clearly, but I have this feeling that he seems good looking, must be my crazy teenage hormones, so I feel excited every night to have this dream and finally see his face.

That night finally came, I dream of me strolling the beach picking up seashells, and he's right there standing in front of me. And what shocked me is his face, it's the face of my high school crush then! And then I wake up, same place, same position. I don't know what the dream meant and why is he showing with the face of my crush. But this time, I got really scared. Scared to go to sleep, and scared to see him again, because every night he keeps motioning his hands at me, asking me to come with him.

This actually took a toll of my school days. I would just passed out while at school and when I wake up, my friends and schoolmates are already crowding around me, worried, asking me if I was sick, and if I'm feeling okay. I am okay, I'm not sick. I would just passed out in the middle of doing something (talking to my friends, listening to my teacher's discussion, eating my snack) and having no recollection of what happen before that to cause me to pass out.

The next night, I heard the same voice calling me out again. I went out of bed (I don't remember if I was sleepwalking), but it's like I'm awake but my eyes are close, and tried opening our back door. Now, sidetracking, let me explain to you the structure of our house. Our house is just small, we don't have any bedrooms yet. It is a nipa hut (traditional house in our country). We have a small closed balcony leading to our front door, that's where my two younger brothers sleep (I'm the eldest by the way). And in the living room is where my parents, me and my 2 youngest sisters sleep together. Then there's the dining area, where our back door is, leading outside to the dike I was talking about earlier. The back door, unfortunately, has a lock that is very hard to open and only my father can only open it. It's really hard to open, believe me, and only the strength of my father can open it by all his force. I think it's also a good thing since it can be dangerous for us children to fall down the deep dike, break our necks or hurt ourselves.

Going back to the story, so I tried opening the lock of the back door but to no avail, it's just so hard. The voice keeps on calling to me saying "Emilia (not my real name), Emilia. Come on out. Come here. Come." The voice is very hypnotizing, very melodic and its like really seducing me to go out.

I woke up the next day, guess where? Under the dining table, and funny, with a toothbrush in my hand and my mouth full of toothpaste. It was my mother who found me there and shaken me to wake up. She thought it funny why am I there with the toothbrush and toothpaste. But I was simply creep out. I look at the back door, and found the lock to it just a few move would have open it. My father who usually opens it in the morning to take a hike going to the sea, was also shocked who had open it more than halfway, knowing how hard the lock is. I know it was me, I know I did try my hardest to have it open last night and wondered what could have happened if I did open it all the way. That's when I started telling my parents what had transpired the previous weeks. The dream, the voice calling me at night, and me passing out at school. They were shocked and couldn't believe I keep it from them that long. But they believe me. And was scared for my safety.

I'm really sorry guys but I have to cut this since it's too long. And I'm about to go out of the office and go home already. It's past my shift. But I'll be posting the continuation of the story as soon as I can get to a computer. For now, I need your opinion and comments on what do you think of my story. I understand if you would doubt if it really did happen or was I just making this up. But as much as I wished for it to be just my imagination, it really did happen to me. And the continuation would be more alarming, scary and really difficult to understand or believe.

Other hauntings by wolfsnow916

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, wolfsnow916, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

wolfsnow916 (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-28)
[at] Triskaideka It's cool right? You get to learn new things from new people all around the world everyday. It wasn't implemented until 3 or 5 years ago, I think. Since most schools, and students and parents too, don't like the idea of having to go to school longer and finishing high school a lot later. HAHA. I remember my younger sister's batch being the pioneer to start the new senior high school system, so that's 3 years ago since she's on her 12th grade now.:)
wolfsnow916 (2 stories) (11 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-28)
[at] shelbyloree My sleepwalking episodes could probably be caused by stress at school. It is really demanding and stressful to be studying there, I tell you. HAHA.
But regarding the tree, I really have no idea if it had a history of someone being buried there. Hmmm... No one in the family made mention of that or have any story about that. Haha. I wonder though. Maybe I should ask my great grand aunt.:)
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-28)
No need for apologies, thank you for explaining~ I'm sorry for being so tangential, I was just confused (and still was even after your wonderful explanation, but I found a Wiki page explaining your school system and I think I get it now). Looks like the system has changed since 2011 as well. Learn something new every day!
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-26)
Night terrors and sleepwalking could coincide with stress and hormones. Did this start when you moved in or some time later when the heavy school work started?

I wonder if someone is buried under the old tree?

I'm just remembering usually if you want to find the oldest cemetery stones, you look for the oldest trees in there. I never know if that's because people would chose a tree to bury people under, which would result in 'don't cut that tree down! It's now in a cemetery,' or if they would plant a tree by the grave to mark it.

My husband's friend passed unexpectedly last year (late 20's). His parents couldn't afford a funeral so had him cremated and 'planted' with a tree in some type of 'green' burial. His remains are now entwined with the tree. Could be the same for the old tree at your house?
wolfsnow916 (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-21)
[at] Anno_Domini Hi there! Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I do agree that they are indeed tricky, imagine using my crush to get to me. It was really a creepy encounter for me and I do wish it will not happen to me again. Thanks for the kind words and advises. Will keep them in mind. 😊
Anno_Domini (3 stories) (167 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-21)
Hi wolfsnow916, I believe your account. There are many supernatural incidents that happen in the suburban and rural areas in Southeast Asian countries. I had a friend who was an Indonesian missionary in Philippines, and has encountered many incidents which involve "supernatural" phenomena.

It's fortunate that you did not come to any harm, and I would advise you to seek help from the pastors or priests at your local church if you encounter this situation again. It is obvious that the entity knew your innermost thoughts and used that to try and get you to fall and injure yourself (or worse). Although it happened more than 10 years ago, there is a possibility that it might return again. Time to these entities is not significant.
wolfsnow916 (2 stories) (11 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-20)
[at] lady-glow You're totally right. The rest of the family are really heavy sleepers (is there a term as that?). We don't have doors to open, connecting our living room (where we all sleep) to the kitchen, it's just an archway or a hole in the wall. If somebody did notice me, or saw me get up, they probably thought I was going to the kitchen to drink or pee. I'm sorry, I'm really terrible at describing things. The back door lock is something that is hard to open but makes no sound when you open it. You just really have to be strong enough to shake/pull the lock out. It's something my dad made, old fashion lock I suppose.
We still visit the place during family gatherings and dike doesn't have a fence on it up until now haha probably because it is also used as a walkway to and from the seawall.

[at] valkicry Yes, I suppose I forgot that part. I remember my room adviser informing my father of my passing out in school. They simply thought its because of fatigue or stress. I am studying in a Science High School in our country. It is a government funded school where students are all scholars maintaining grades and excelling both in academics and extra curricular activities. Its really a privilege and at the same time a big responsibility studying there. We have more and advanced subject loads than most schools, daily assignments from each subject, projects and quizzes almost everyday, and I remember sometimes I have to stay wake until 2AM to be able to finish my daily school paperworks.
So, at that time it may seem that overworking myself might have caused me to pass out (it may have been).

[at] Triskaideka Sorry for not explaining that part. Here in the Philippines, we only have 4 years of high school altogether, no junior or senior high school, so when I'm in my 3rd year I was probably 14 or 15. Our education system goes like this, Grade School - Kinder to Grade 6, High School - 1st year to 4th Year and then its College/University level. We just recently upgraded to the School system followed by everyone else all around the world, Kinder to Grade 12, about 3 years ago. I hope it makes sense now.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-08-19)
I don't get it. You share the room with your parents and two sisters but none of them noticed that you were getting up and walking to the next room every night for several weeks? Is the back door as silent as is hard to open? Your family must be able to sleep through a herd of elephants running and trumpeting outside!😴

Oh, wait... There's a toothbrush in this story... And somebody should build a fence at the edge of that dike.😝
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+2
7 years ago (2017-08-19)
wolfsnow, you were passing out in school, but no one notified your parents of this? They hadn't heard even through local gossip? 🤔
Things must be very different in the Philippines. Here (US) even if we said, "I'm ok. I'm not sick", they'd still tell our parents, because passing out is just not normal.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-19)
I'm really sorry but did you mean to write "junior high school" instead of high school? Or did you graduate high school at age 13-14!? I'm so confused.

As for the rest, these do sound like sleep-walking episodes. I had a few of my own in my teen years. So awkward. Looking forward to the rest of your story!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: