You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Soldier Shadow Girl

Real Ghost Stories

Soldier Shadow Girl

 

Let me tell you first that I come from a family of "gifted" women and as such I've been able to see and/or feel spirits from an early age. This story in particular took place in Ft. Jackson, SC while I was at the Physical Rehabilitation Unit after suffering a fall during basic training.

One night me and a buddy of mine were assigned guard duty at the side stairs of the barracks we slept in. These stairs were seldom used since they were actually the emergency stairs. My buddy sat at the bottom of the stairs and I sat at the landing between the first and second floor. The building had three floors and we had to check that no non-authorized personnel would come in or out of the building through those doors and from my position I had a view of the second and third floor doors. To pass the time, me and my buddy would talk about our respective hometowns and just talk about silly stuff.

Then all of a sudden, I detected movement on the third floor landing. I got up and climbed up the second set of stairs and turn to see up to where the third floor door was but there was nothing there, nada! I went back to my initial position and started talking to my buddy again, and it happened again. I got up to check again but this time I got the reaction I always get when there's a non-living presence around, I got goosebumps on my arm and the back of my neck and an accelerated heartbeat. I took a deep breath and went back to my post. My buddy then curiously asked me why I was getting up, to which I replied, "I keep seeing movement at the third floor landing but when I check there's nothing up there."

My buddy was an African-American girl, and after I told her those words her complexion went ashen. She started saying, "Oh my God, oh Jesus" repeatedly and I asked her what was wrong with her. She told me of a story she had heard about a woman soldier who had committed suicide and was found hanging from her PT shirt on those same stairs on the third floor. I had to calm her down and tell her not to worry and to not believe such nonsense and that anyway we were about to finish our guard shift.

Things didn't end for me that night. As I was getting ready to go to sleep on my bunk bed, I saw a girl standing in front of the doors inside our bay room (where upwards of 20 girls bunked at). At first I thought it was one of my other buddies that wanted to go to the bathroom or something but as she stood there in front of these doors with huge windows that let in the illumination from the fluorescent lights out in the hallway, I realized that I couldn't see any of her features.

My bunk bed was situated at the opposite side of the bay room door but at a diagonal (a couple of bunk beds away from the door) so I should have been able to see the side of her face and her body thanks to the light coming in since she was turned towards me. It was like she was a floating 3D shadow, I know because if she was a real person she would be casting a shadow on the floor but there wasn't a shadow on the floor! You maybe asking "If you could not see her features how do you know it was a woman?" Easy, she had what appeared to be a messy bun at the top of her head and besides that I felt she was female.

Anyway, even though I've had experiences before with ghosts it still amazes me and my reaction is not to immediately believe in what I'm seeing so I scrubbed my eyes a little and when I opened my eyes again, there she was standing at the foot of my bed. I kept staring at her for a while, still not visible features. I sat up in bed and asked her what she wanted because I was tired and I needed some sleep before wake up call, and she just vanished into thin air.

Later that morning another buddy of mine asked me if I sleep talked, I said to her "No, why?" She told me that she had seen me sitting up in my bed talking as if I had been having a conversation with someone but couldn't make out my words.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lince1307, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

JazzyBaby (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-10-18)
I had a similar experience during basic training. My battle and I had guard duty from 2 am to 4 am. The room was dark and had to use our flashlights as we would walk around to make sure every female was in their bunks and no one had snuck out. My battle and I were kind of already spooked because we were talking about the scary movies we couldn't wait to watch when we graduated. About an hour into our shift we were walking side by side in the bay counting the bunks and personnel who were sleeping to report to our Drill Sergeant, when both our flashlights started flickering and just turned off. We ran to the bay room door where there was a red light, took a breath, calmed down, and went back to finish counting... When our shift was about to end, which was around 3 am, we had to do another count... As we were walking through with out flashlights, one of the girls sat up in her sleep, like eyes closed and everything... She sat there for a minute and we just stared at her. Her jaw dropped and laid back down, sound asleep. We would talk about what happened and laugh it off, because we were all lack of sleep and stuff.
Fort Jackson and every military post that I've been to, just seems creepy.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-08-22)
Being sensitive to the paranormal must not make being a soldier any easier - I imagine you find yourself in areas just rife with activity quite often... From battle fields to war-worn forts. More power to you for being able to cope with it all!

Is there any way to confirm the story your buddy heard about the suicide?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: