You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Choices Of Life And Death

Real Ghost Stories

Choices Of Life And Death

 

This is an extremely personal, exceptionally painful account of life, death, and choices. I had not planned on ever posting this here as it deals with my and my son's souls. If you judge me, revile me, or hate me for my choices, know that I've heard it all. My own mother and father called me a murderer. My best friend took me off the street when the lover I lived with threw me out for the decisions and choices I made. Having said that, realize I will answer any of your comments, hate filled or supportive. I am not ashamed or guilty.

Just after my 16th birthday I found out I was pregnant. I wanted an abortion, but at that time, it was illegal for me to have one without parental permission. My parents flatly refused. Abortion was murder. To this day I have resentment for that. Not because of my child, but because they took my choice from me. I fully support a woman's right to choose. My opinion on that will NEVER change.

I was still 16 when I gave birth to my son Johnnie. The pregnancy had been easy, if long. I went the whole 42 weeks. Johnnie was born 8lbs 12oz. Bouncing baby boy and only 4 hours of labor. He was dark blue when he was born, but the doctors said not to worry and gave him oxygen. He pinked right up and started crying.

When we went for his six week check, the doctor was concerned. He didn't respond to visual stimulus and seemed very still. I didn't know any better, I just thought he was a sweet sleepy baby. That day, my world changed.

My son was blind. Optic Atrophy Hypoplasia. This birth defect happened in the first weeks after conception. In addition, more tests revealed brain damage. Severe cerebral palsy caused by the blue when he was born. In less than 24 hours I, a 16 year old single mother of a sweet, happy, healthy baby boy, to a blind, spastic quadriplegic, who, according to the doctors, was having severe petit mal seizures.

We lived with my mom and dad. While I went to school my mom took care of Johnnie. In addition to high school, I took classes on how to care for my baby boy. I never flinched or hesitated for his care. I learned how to give and measure medicines, orally and later through a feeding tube, and even later through a gastric button.

Time went on and I met a nice young man, another single parent and we set up household together. I worked as a homecare provider, attended college for nursing and played happy families. As I was paid to work, so was my mother, to care for my son. It worked out well financially and emotionally.

Because Johnnie was not active or mobile, he was prone to colds, bronchitis and pneumonia. Late in his 4th year, he developed a productive cough and started to run a low grade fever. I brought him to his doctor immediately. Doctor Graves said it was a cold and he would be fine. I didn't really agree. It felt... Different. Colder somehow. He never seemed to get better and his cough got worse by the hour. Every day for 7 days I brought him in to see Dr. Graves. On Friday at 8:30, she refused to see him. By 9:00 he was in the ER in respiratory distress. By 10 he was in heart failure brought on by fluid in his lungs. Dr. Graves transferred him to Children's hospital without ever speaking to me about it in person. She called and said that he was having heart failure and that he was critical - he could die. Hell of a phone call, and the last time I ever spoke to her.

Thanksgiving week they admitted him to children's hospital ICU. Doctors I didn't know told me that he had something called ARDS - Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome, basically the alveoli in his lungs were so badly damaged that they had sloughed. He had very little ability to move air in and out of his lungs.

Months passed in a blur. I truly have no recall of most of that time. I was staying at their critical patient family housing. They even gave me a voucher for meals at the hospital. I was there around the clock. I don't remember my 21st birthday. Not because I was drinking and partying, but because I was holding my baby boy. More time passed and he wasn't getting better. If anything, he was getting worse. He'd started having Cerebral Fevers of up to 105 degrees. It was soul destroying to see more and more of him slip away, even as he fought to hold on to me.

A few days before Easter, I looked at him and I... Really saw... The pain, the exhaustion... The anguish on his face. I went to him and kissed him and told him that he needed to stop worrying about me and think of himself, if he needed to be free to be with the angels, to fly away, I would be okay. I meant it with every beat of my heart. His pain, his agony, was clear to his soul, and it burned like acid in mine. I spent the rest of that day singing songs to him, never letting him out of my arms. When I left that night, I knew... I knew he would leave. The exhaustion was still there, but the fight was gone.

The next morning they told me he was doing well, for the first time he was breathing easily and the doctors felt he'd turned a corner. I felt that too, but in my heart, I knew it was his swan's song. Overnight his heart and lungs failed completely. They had intubated him and had him on full life support. I requested the removal of all life support. That Easter Sunday, surrounded by candy, bunnies, and symbols of childish joy of the resurrection I held my son as he left this earth.

My mother and father fought me, but could do nothing. My lover walked away and never looked back. He threw my things in the street and told my family to come get them or the trash collector would pick them up. They all called me a murderer. My four brothers... Two of them supported my right to make that decision even if they did not agree.

Needless to say, I was at an all time low. My reason for living, my son, was gone. My lover and my family abandoned me. My best friend invited me to stay with her to get my head together. My parents paid for the funeral and arranged it, for which I am eternally grateful. As my mother said at the funeral. Johnnie was her grandson, even if her daughter was a murderous slut.

After his funeral, graveside service and dinner, just as the sun was going down, I finally resolved what I was going to do. I was empty of everything but pain and the driving need to be with my baby boy again. I had to hold him, to smell the sunshine on his hair, to feel his arms clinging to me. I hurt so much, needed him so much, it was as if blackness of sunset had swallowed the world and I couldn't find a way back to daylight.

I resolved that if Johnnie couldn't live here in this world any longer, I would join him where he was. Remember, I still had all of his meds. Depakene, Phenobarbital, Depakote, just to name a few.

I didn't want to distress my best friend so I rented a hotel room, bought a fifth of Johnny Walker Red, and spread out the bottles of meds on the hotel room bed. I was determined to be with my son again. I want to make this plain, it was my intention to never leave that hotel room alive again. I knew very well what I was doing. My son had over 30 of each pill and one was a liquid that the bottle was completely full. I was going to chase it down with alcohol. Yes, I would have died.

I looked at the clock and thought that as it was 7:30 pm, that if I hurried, I would be dead today, the same day as Johnnies funeral. It seemed right somehow.

As I ran my fingers through the pills on the bed, mixing the colors up, making myself smile at the rainbow effect, thinking that now I'll be able to show Johnnie the colors on the other side, something very odd happened.

It was like my consciousness split in two. I was there, sitting on the bed and then I was... Somewhere else. And as I looked around, seeing a giant green terrace ringed with massive trees that I could hear sighing in the warm breeze I could feel on my face. The sky was an expanse of blue that went on forever, deep and rich, cloudless. I could feel the sun, but I didn't see it. The light was warm, and bright, but somehow soft. I stopped looking around when I saw the group in front of me.

A line of beings, I want to say masculine because that was my feeling, but I don't recall anything gender specific about them. In fact I don't recall their features at all. They were wearing long white robes with hoods that hid them for the most part. They stood almost in a chevron formation, with the point nearest me. The being that formed the point was holding Johnnie. Without a single hesitation I ran to him and scooped my son into my arms.

He gripped me tightly, nuzzling into me. It didn't strike me as odd that he was exactly as he had been, even wearing a diaper - but ONLY a diaper. He was naked except for that. I can't say how long I stayed there holding him, rocking him, breathing in the scent of his hair, feeling his light body in my arms, reconnecting with the love that flowed from him to me. It could have been hours or days. I never wanted to stop.

Then strangely, I felt something move across the light, like someone stepping in front of the sun, and a feeling of fear washed over me, a knowing, that the being that shadow belonged to, disapproved of my desire to stay, that my time was done. I clutched Johnnie tighter, my hand cupping his bottom, to pull him closer, and I noticed he was wet.

The point being stepped forward and removed Johnnie from my arms, taking him into his. Both Johnnie and I resisted, until I realized that my resistance was causing Johnnie pain. I released him, saying "He's wet he... I can..."

The point being said softly, gently, "We will take care of him now."

In a dizzying blink, I was back in the hotel room. I shook my head to orient myself and looked around. I was still sitting on the bed, but the pills, the meds, even the alcohol were gone. When I looked at the clock it read 7:35. Not five minutes had passed. I checked all around the room. Nothing. I sniffed the comforter and I could still smell the odd scent of the pills, but not a single pill to be found. I checked the bathroom to see if I'd maybe flushed them. The bowl was dry and still had the 'sani-paper' across it to show that it had been cleaned.

I was confused, but strangely I wasn't. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, then slowly opened them when I realized the darkness that had consumed me was gone. I hurt, I missed my son, but I wasn't going to die. It wasn't my time. Johnnie had someone to care for him and I... I had things to do. That much was obvious if the Being that Blots out the Sun thought so.

The next day I enlisted in the Navy. I have had 2 more children, which you will hear about by and by.

Occasionally, I will glance over into the passenger seat of my car and see my Sunshine-scented little boy sitting there enjoying the ride. Even more rarely, I'll hear a soft giggle and know my Johnnie is happy.

I welcome your comments, even if you hate me for my decisions and choices.

Other hauntings by MaggieMay_Not

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Nebraska

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MaggieMay_Not, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

CuriousNEwoman (14 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-06-14)
Oh wow.
First of all. I don't judge. Second of all... You did what you did, as hard as it was, for your son. For his "peace". We as humans tend to want to keep a hold of those we love... Be it children,parents,lovers whomever. It may not be best for them, but we just can't let go/ give up on them. It's more loving (in my opinion) to let them go- then to hold on to them... Putting them on machines that are basically mimicking life for them. It's really not a life for THEM, but for us.
So as for your decision, I find it strong and loving.
As for your pills disapearing. Maybe, when your mind was "with" your son and his caregivers, your body flushed the pills? Or maybe...possibly...
"angels are caring for your son... And for you. And THEY removed the poison from you. I don't think it was bad in ANY way.
Perhaps even... Tho he's an infant... It was johnie... You were looking out for him... So he looked out for you by removing the pills from you, knowing it wasn't your time. That you were destined to be a mom to his siblings, and he knew you would be a good CARING mom.
I didn't mean to go on and on. You are so worried about being judged, and yet that's the last thing I can do.
I know my answer wasn't too creatively paranormal, I don't know much about the paranormal, just have a huge interest and respect for it.
Serenflipppity (guest)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-30)
This has been an extremely difficult read. I read the comments and eventually had to quit - it's too heart wrenching! I feel your pain, Maggie. I'm crying for your loss but I'm also smiling for all the support you're receiving.

It was a difficult read because my mom's been diagnosed with cancer and it's always been her and I - even though I have an older brother. It's just always been the two of us against the world. I don't know what I'll do if I should be faced with such a tough decision, but somehow, I feel, I'll know when the time is right and she will tell me.

Thank you so much for sharing - seems so trite, but right now, it's the best I have writing this through a haze of tears.

Thank you everyone for your advice, support, insights and open minds - and massively open hearts.

All the best, Maxine
MaggieMay_Not (15 stories) (106 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-02-04)
Mr Riggs I am so very sorry for your loss. I thank you for your kind words and I promise you I will be praying and sending thoughts and prayers of healing and strength for you and yours. I wish you ease in your heart and mind as I wish your family members the same, and the departed soul rest and succor under the bright blue skies that stretch endlessly into heaven.

Maggie
MrRiggs (7 stories) (102 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-04)
Maggie,

After 21 days in the Medical Intensive Care Unit of a very good hospital, it was clear that it was time to make a decision about the future of a very ill and elderly relative. A doctor on the ICU team asked to meet with immediate family members about continuing medical care.

Without belaboring this commentary, all viable medical options were exhausted. The patient had coded twice during the previous night and resuscitated. Machines were keeping her alive. Her future, at best, would have been transfer to an acute care nursing facility for a daily kidney dialysis. With major organ failure and her fingers and toes turning black from a lack of circulation, the decision was an easy one to make.

With doctors and family in complete concurrence, life support was removed. She was given medication to help with post surgical pain. Her blood pressure plummeted and she passed peacefully in 3 1/2 hours.

I have no guilt, remorse or pangs of conscience. When medical options are exhausted, and medical staffs and families have done all they can, it is time to make a choice. We opted to end suffering, and more importantly, potential long term suffering, with a compassionate conclusion.

This ending of life was not murder, and I do not feel a murderer. I do feel I was a compassionate family member who ended pain in a situation that was without hope.

You showed courage, Maggie, in making your choice. You displayed great heart in telling your story. You made my job easier when my turn came to choose, and you helped ease the passing of a sick and tired soul. I thank you for that.

That you were called a murderer was a poor choice of words by people in emotional pain. People in great personal pain are capable of saying terrible things that may leave life-long scars. I find your hurt to be disturbing to me personally.

Perhaps the only path to healing great pain is forgiving the unforgivable.
MrRiggs (7 stories) (102 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-14)
Lady-glow,

I'm inclined to agree with you.

If there is no reasonable hope for the patient to be returned to an acceptable quality of life, the exercise may be pointless and unnecessarily painful to all concerned.

Needless to say, I do not wish to bring about death prematurely.

Close consultation with the medical professionals should be helpful in making a sound decision.

This person is 80 years old and in naturally declining health. Prior to this condition developing we had no expectation of her having a bright future with many years to live. This illness is severe enough that there may be no need to make a choice.

Today's developments indicate a slight improvement.

If she can be returned to the life she knew, we welcome it. If this is her end, we accept it and will make the appropriate choice. It would be cruel folly to let her linger pointlessly.

Thank you for your input and taking time to write. Shared wisdom is always welcome.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-01-14)
MrRiggs - in my opinion, many times keeping a patient in life support is nothing more than prolonging their agony.

It's sad, but letting go is part of life.
MrRiggs (7 stories) (102 posts)
-1
6 years ago (2018-01-14)
Thank you, ladies, for the kind words.

The most recent medical assessment shows slight improvement. That is a significant upgrade from the initial expectation of not surviving the first night of hospitalization, or the emergency surgery. During that surgery she was nearly lost three times. The outcome of all this is unpredictable.

We will do all we can by making the best choices possible.

A lesson I learned long ago was that people generally make the best decisions they can with the information available at the time. A new day may bring new information and decisions or choices may need to be revisited and reassessed. In general, I avoid second guessing my decisions.

That bit of information, along with $5.00, will get you a decent cup of coffee almost anywhere.

Somehow it seemed appropriate to toss that in as a lesson learned.

MrRiggs
EmmalineTexas (10 stories) (163 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-14)
Mr. Riggs - I'm so very sorry that your family is going through this. It's not easy to make the best decision for the person that you love so much. I've been in your shoes and all you can do is thank God for the time that you have with them, however long it is. Prayer and gratitude help to keep you together even when you face a potential loss. There are guides and they will not let you down. Again, I'm so sorry.

Emma
MaggieMay_Not (15 stories) (106 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-14)
MrRiggs - I can't express how very sad I am to hear you are going through this. Please know that I am in your corner. I support you no matter what your choices are. Please also know that I will pray for you and yours to ride out the storms that are blowing through your live. Much love to you and yours.

Maggie
MrRiggs (7 stories) (102 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-14)
Less than 72 hours ago a family member who stayed with us during Christmas was hospitalized. The following morning she had emergency surgery due to a very severe infection of the stomach and intestines.

Getting directly to the point of this message, it may be necessary to make the decision to remove her life support.

A meeting with her medical staff should help determine if her condition is survivable, and what quality of life is expected should she make it through treatment.

There is a choice to be made. If there is no reasonable expectation of survival we will remove life support. I regard this decision as a humanitarian necessity and a pragmatic option.

As it stands as of this writing, she will never live independently again. Her most likely option is to be placed in a nursing home. She will now have a colostomy bag, be on kidney dialysis, and has lost her ability to walk. Her internal organs (kidneys, liver etc.) are nearly disfunctional.

I personally heard her ask "How much longer will this go on?" when she was with us during the holidays. She said that after walking 15 feet and being helped up two stairs.

I do not send you this, Maggie, to open an old wound. I share this with you because life happens and illness and death occur. Decisions must be made.

In a previous response to you I said you are not a murderer. When illness or injury make the continuance of life impossible, and competent medical professionals are present, ending life support is a reasonable choice.

Depending on what the doctors have to say, and in concurrence with the rest of the involved family members, we are about to make that choice. I have no qualms about making the right choice, whatever that might be. I feel not the slightest guilt should it be the best choice to remove life support.

I was in your corner before and I'm in your corner now. This time it is my finger on the trigger.

Live your life, Maggie, let the wound heal. There is no guilt in making the right choice.
catleyablu (17 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-10)
I have never had an experience of my own, but this story gives me all the feels, both good and bad; bad only being that you and your baby had to go through this, but good knowing he had a mother with such love, courage, support and determination for the best. It's also awesome to have had the chance to experience such guidance ❤. It almost makes me a bit envious, however I wouldn't say I don't have my own group... The idea that there are others out there looking out for the people they love doesn't just give me warm feelings, it also asserts my beliefs within my inner intuition. Thank you so much for sharing such a person account of your life. ❤
MaggieMay_Not (15 stories) (106 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-10)
AussieDaz - YES I am still interested. Thank you so much! I've been googling for information
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-10)
"Journey of the Souls by Michael Newton". Finally found it for you Maggie if you're still interested in knowing more about soul groups you made find it a interesting read!

Regards Daz https://bazaarmodel.net/ftp/Project-C/Soul/JourneyofSouls.pdf
annie16 (13 stories) (53 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-10)
Maggie, I just read your story and could just not stop the tears. You are a true example of strength and courage to all. As far as your parents judgement of you... Well, you did what you needed to do and they will have to live with what they did to you. As the Bible says, "judge not least you be judged". I have nothing but the greatest respect for you because you put your son before yourself and your own heartache. Blessing to you.
MaggieMay_Not (15 stories) (106 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-09)
Overrated_7 - WELCOME! Talk about jumping in the deep end. Thank you for your kind words. I hope you enjoy reading, but also, if you have a story to share, then please do. I will read it and comment.

Maggie
MaggieMay_Not (15 stories) (106 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-09)
AugustaM - Thank you for your kindness. I am feeling a little sheepish, because everyone has been so kind to me. I am at a loss because I guess I just got so used to my family's condemnation that I expected it from everyone. I am very happy to have been proven wrong.
overrated_07 (1 stories) (2 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-01-09)
I just found this site and your story was the very first that I've read. Oh man, I had to take a breather after this one. I am so sorry for your hardship and loss. Thank you for sharing.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-09)
It is old news by this point but, I agree with Parallax's statement on abortion, at least - not the holding on bit. I have been raped and I have been faced with choices over abortion. So has my mother. So has my aunt. So has a dear friend. No matter what decisions we made, they were absolutely our own. The comparison with rape comes with the denial of consent and denial of ones right to sovereignty of their own body involved both in sexual assault and a parent's (spouse's, lover's or government's) refusal to allow a woman to make her own decision about abortion.

As for the comment as to your being wrong in having held on so long - rubbish. You made the decisions you had to at the time you needed to make them. In your heart you wanted what was best for your son no matter what and you listened to those instincts when the time came.

You are such a strong person and truly someone to be admired for that. ❤
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-09)
I have no hate for you. Only love and sympathy. I know how it feels when the most important people in your world turn their back on you. The shame is theirs for having done so not yours for having listened to your heart. I am glad you are still with us and that the road seems to have gotten a bit less perilous. Seems as though not even death could conquer love.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-07)
I did have some supportive family members including my wife Maggie of which made it easier for me to cope with never the less it does hurt when they make those emotional statements not fully understanding the suffering of the individual and what you go through when making the right decision in their best interest based on your love for them and not on the fear of not letting go.

It were the palliative care nurses who told me they see this all the time, the main carer is the one who copes all the backlash and blame for that choice of which is difficult one to make. I was blessed enough to see and talk to my mother from the afterlife so for me it wasn't as tough as what you endured and thank you for your kind thoughts about my own sitiuation.

On soul groups? I tried to find the book I read online about 8 months ago but can't remember the name of it... I have read about soul groups from a few different authors over the last 10 years and if you search on youtube often you can snag a good link that may make some sense for you I'll keep looking.

The book was written by a past life regression specialist who was able to receive information he's patients gave him in between lives from the other side. Basically we come here for tough lessons and sometimes we come an have a comfortable life but we shouldn't quit and stick on the path however sometimes even suicides are apart of an exit strategy according to the author but not in your case I believe... Our soul group will work hard at keeping us on coarse and in your case they just pulled you out of your body because you did wobble of coarse for a moment or two...

It's quite possible these people you meet are people you know from a past life, they can be spouses, friends, children and even strangers that seem to turn up out of the blue for that fleeting moment as you stated... Johnnie is fine, he probably has the soul of a warrior spirit because often it takes a very wise soul to enter into a body of someone who suffers from a young age... There are even lessons in Johnnie's life that are so precious and valuable to those soul groups in advancing their groups to higher planes and ultimately according to this book that is what we are all doing, evolving our spirit to higher levels of consciousness... If you are a white light, in a white room with white windows how do you know what darkness is like until you experience it for yourself.

Regards Daz
MaggieMay_Not (15 stories) (106 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-06)
AussieDaz - Oh my soul - my dear heart - Your MOTHER. I feel your pain and loss. Just the thought of your pain makes my throat tighten and my eyes sting with tears. I understand as much as anyone can, and please know that your kind words for me make me admire you that much more.

I have never considered the idea of a 'soul group.' Do you have a website or something that explains it more? I am asking for a specific reason - well several actually. You see, All my life I've met people I've 'known.' But I've never met them before - and They KNOW me. Sometimes we stay in touch, sometimes it's a fleeting meeting. Example - I was about 14 when I saw a man on a train. I knew he was 15 years older than I and I knew he was alone...lonely. He was glancing at me out the corner of his eye. I was caught by him - I knew him... I knew how he'd smile and laugh, I knew he loved to ride horses and hated peppermint. I wanted to go sit by his side and hold his hand. I knew exactly how his voice would sound. I nerved myself up to change seats to speak to him, and as if he knew, he turned and smiled at me and shook his head. It was the saddest smile I've ever seen. Deep inside I felt the knowledge bloom that I couldn't - not this time - and I felt a tug of sadness, tinged longing, along with knowledge that there would be another time. As I was visiting family in another state, it didn't make sense at the time, but... A soul group... I wonder if that would explain it.

My experiences with my son did make me strong, it actually gave me a very... Pragmatic? Attitude. I've truly had the worst any mother can face (in my opinion) and it has made me face the world unflinchingly. Something unpleasant needs doing? Get it done, it will hurt worse to let it linger. It has helped when my now adult children made choices that at one time I would have considered irreparable. Now, my thoughts are, as long as they are safe and happy, they are not hurting anyone, then I will accept everything about them, and only be glad that they are alive and healthy. I'm sure my kids would tell you I was overprotective. My credo when they were growing up was - I'd rather say I'm sorry for being over protective than stand over another of my children's grave.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-06)
Maggie, I understand that feeling when family members accuse you of murder when making choices about the suffering of our loved ones the same happened to me in relation to my mother and that decision to let her go after 8 months of suffering with cancer. You made the right choice and let me tel you, you are not alone many people go through it on a daily basis where family members disagree with tough choices. Although your account was extremely more difficult than the average being so young and directly blasted with emotional blackmail and blame that must of really hurt. I believe we belong to a soul group and often some of that group hang back and watch over us. You are right Maggie, it wasn't your time to go and the soul group you belong to basically pulled you out into an ethereal body state in that Motel to give you a peaceful moment and reunion with your son to encourage you in my view... To battle on and fulfil your life mission... You have had some tough lesson mate and I can gather by your tone now it has strengthened you up inside... Thank you for sharing your account I don't often comment here any more but your story did pull on the heart strings enough to offer you some support.

Regards Daz
Jubeele (26 stories) (892 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-06)
Our warmest well-wishes to everyone caught up in the dreadful nor'easter conditions. 🌨️ We'd like to send you some excess heat from our Aussie summer. It's 40°C (104°F) in Sydney today and even hotter out west (113°F). Bushfire season is on us now.

Be Safe and Well, everyone.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-06)
Pardon me while I hijack this thread briefly. I just got an email from Jubeele who heard about the nasty winter storm in my area. Yes, I had hurricane force winds (70+ miles per hour) with sub 0 air temperatures since Thursday.

I'm low on some supplies, but still alive, and not frozen to my chair. According to the National Weather Service, the worst of this storm should end in 17 hours.

And now back to ghost stories.:)
MrRiggs (7 stories) (102 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-01-03)
Maggie,

I read your post. I read the words, the lines, between the lines and "heard" your point of view.

There is no doubt in my mind that you experienced divine intervention. I will believe that as long as I draw breath.

My experience left me with some key takeaways.

Paramount in my mind is Divine justice. While there is Divine love in overflowing abundance, there is also Divine wrath, which I experienced. The trump card seems to be Divine justice perfectly applied.

While our world overflows with injustice now, that will be corrected.

Complex to explain but administered with the ultimate fairness.

There was much to my experience, which had multiple phases. Part of what I was shown was general, part specific to me. At one point I realized that the only way this could be happening to me was that I had to be dead. I was not ready to be dead and I wanted to go back. I was told yes, you can go back, but now, about you.

I was moved to a different place and went through what the criminal justice system refers to as pre-trial examination and arraignment. Much was done there.

Here is the point. Before I was permitted to leave I was told 3 times to write about what I experienced. Each time I was asked "Do you understand? Each time I affirmed that I did. Then I was told that it was important to write about what I was going through.

You felt a tug, Maggie. Perhaps a push. You felt, it appears, compelled to write. Why? Because it is important. Just as you appear to suspect, someone, perhaps a lot of someones, need to hear what you have to say.

Sorry, Maggie, no green terrace. I did see some stunning things though.

Best,

MrRiggs
Myst (63 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-03)
Regarding emergency supplies- I had a styrofoam cooler to keep liquids in to protect from freezing.

Maggie, I feel your pain on forgetting to take the kit after restocking. Yes, I did that too-once.
I'm so sorry for the issues with your son, but good to know you were able to make decisions your way, a way that made sense to you. Blessed be.
MaggieMay_Not (15 stories) (106 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-03)
valkricry - Thank you very much. And I love the gadget you describe. I am going to have to find one.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-03)
RC,
Something you might want to consider for your emergency kit is a hand cranked/solar powered flashlight radio. Mine includes a USB output/ charger for mobile phones. No worries about batteries 😊

Maggie, I'm not ignoring your story, but rather, I believe, as you yourself said, it needed to be told. Someone out there needs to hear it.
MaggieMay_Not (15 stories) (106 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-03)
RCRuskin - I have added solar chargers for the car battery (I got them from the boat section at Cabelas) and another for my phone. I've added a plug in port inside my glove box so I don't have to get out of the car to use the battery charger. I've also added a GPS beacon as my car doesn't have onboard GPS. Also the hand and foot warmer packets. Extra gloves, stocking caps and extra socks. Also a small air mattress - not to sleep on, but to make a small insulated wall between me and the back of the car. It makes the space to be kept warm smaller. A length of flexible plastic tubing to vent without having to open the window more than a crack also something to wrap around the tubing and seal up the window. I have one of those threshold blocks with a hole cut in it. Trash bags for waste control, a large container of wet wipes, because - ya know stuff happens. An old fashioned radio with batteries, replacement batteries as well, if your car battery dies, you will want to know what's going on. I think that's it. I am still on the fence about a portable CB. My list may seem excessive, but I am out on the continental divide mountain range constantly. I could be stuck for a day or two.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-03)
With the big winter storm approaching, nor'easter conditions expected in upstate New York by the end of the week, dad and I discussed our car's emergency kit. The 75 car pileup near Buffalo NY also played into our list.

Roadside flares, first aid kit, multiple blankets, water, rations.

Is there anything we're missing?

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: