You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Dark Place

Real Ghost Stories

The Dark Place

 

When I was very young, my grandmother told me a story of when she was young. She said that she had played with a ouija board and that strange things began to happen to her. I have often wondered if in some manner she had submitted me to a lifetime worth of encounters. This is the time that I had been subject to something otherworldy.

I was 11, living in the suburbs of small town Osceola- a trailer park. My mother was a housewife, my father a truck driver. More often than not I would spend the majority of my day with my grandmother, she was sixty-two at the time and did not exactly get along with the rest of the family. She sometimes acted odd, doing things that did not make sense. However, I had become accustomed to these weird things she did and didn't think anything of it until this particular time I am about to tell you.

One day returning from school, I keep feeling a strange sensation-- almost like an electrical buzzing around my body. And I hadn't even gotten into my home yet, but when I did my grandmother was sitting at our kitchen counter. She was smoking a cigarette, drinking a Pepsi. Only something seemed different. I couldn't put my finger on it but something wasn't right. Having come home, I sat down my backpack and began watching television in my favorite chair. I Love Lucy was on, a show loved throughout the house. As I was watching I seen a black smear in the corner of my eye, drawing my attention towards the kitchen. Of course I looked; my grandmother was still sitting in the kitchen smoking. Didn't think anything of it. I felt thirsty and began to get up to get something to drink. Out of no where my grandmother got angry, she had a look to her face that I hadn't seen before. She told me I was in trouble for something I did not do, then pushed me into my bedroom. It was colder than the rest of the house, which wasn't surprising because I was never in my room and kept the light off as a result.

I tried to argue with my grandmother that I did nothing and did not deserve the punishment, however she did not care and rushed me into my room anyways. I thought it was some sort of prank or a surprise of some sort. It was not. I sat in my room for about an hour, seeing the sun set outside my window. Being a child, I was afraid to leave the room for any repercussions that may be waiting, also avoiding telling my parents because I had tried that path before as well. Anyways, it was getting late; was very boring. Decided I would take a nap to let the time pass so I could get the day over with. I turned off the lights, then things changed for the worse.

Not long after there was the strange buzzing sensation again. I was asleep but awoke having felt it. Upon opening my eyes it was apparently night. I got up, reached for my window shades only they weren't there; reached to turn on the lights, the switch was gone. This had to be some prank I thought. Ran around my bedroom only to notice there was a strange block that I didn't remember being there beforehand. Frightened at was was occurring I began to yell, hoping for some response outside the room. Nothing.

Like any child, I jumped into my bed and covered my head with my bedsheets. I felt a long cold breath behind me; scared I turned to see a shadow, only it was darker than the room itself-- I have no clue as to how that works. I screamed at the top of my lungs as I felt whatever reach out towards me. I could hear it making some very light whisper-hiss, like air rushing through a small crack. I freaked out, began running around my room trying to find a way out. It said my name, I heard it clearly; a gargled voice beneath the air itself. Whilst running, I fell over and hit something-- it was whatever was in the floor, the block. When I opened my eyes from the midfall. Everything was okay. It was as if it never happened. Stormed out of my room, screaming and crying. Told my parent what happened immediately, they did not believe me. My grandmother swore she didn't push me into the bedroom or blame me for doing anything. My dad looked at me strangely, a bit angry.

Till this day, I still have no answers; only more questions.

Other hauntings by Shadowwulf113

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Missouri

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Shadowwulf113, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

CuriousNEwoman (14 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-06-16)
I'm sorry... But I was a bit confused by your writing. At first I wasn't sure if you were retelling a story your grandma told you or if it was a story of your own... I had to re read the first paragraph a couple times to make sure I understood that this is your story. Part of my confusion is that next to your location it says your a young adult. Now I'm in my early 50s... I love Lucy was on in rerun when I was 11... That would have been 1977. Normally in most households old shows like that is not a family family favorite as you implied. You mentioned osceola. Missouri? I know there is an osceola Iowa named for an indian chief. But I'm unaware of an osceola missouri. But there could be...

Perhaps it was just a nightmare that you had. I mean if you were tired/bored you might have drifted off sooner than you thought. I mean no disrespect, in any of my comments. I'm just stating I was confused by the way you wrote things is all.
RSAChick (115 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-17)
Shadowwulf, with all due respect, you haven't cleared up anything.
Clearly relating your experiences with details will possibly clear things up.
Sticking to one experience at a time also helps to keep things unmuddled.
Shadowwulf113 (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-04-17)
Ah yes, sorry for the long delays but I've had some things happen and lacked access to a pc/laptop or even phone for a while and have been unable to attend to my postings.

But to clear things up, yes- I do have some older videos with some activity on them and I'm trying to get them as the data has been corrupted. Also, some old family films I am trying to get developed/equipment to use.

I would normally chalk it up to just being younger with an active imagination, however I wasn't the only one to experience such things from my grandmother; it turns out my mother and father have had similar experiences as well as some childhood friends. My mother did grow-up alongside my grandmother and has told me that she even remembers her being 'different' during those times. That being said, she was on medication in her later years but not for the majority of her life, drugs either- unless we count smoking. Not to mention, I found these things still occurring well into my adulthood, others remember so as well.

As aforementioned, please share your feedback freely- I will answer them whenever I can but I think it's safe to say my login's will continue to be time lapsing. I'm working on getting the videos- I promise such. There are still some stories in my bag of ghostly-goodies. Currently, my (other) grandmother's home has some activity going on in it and I lack a camera to capture the happenings but I would like to introduce this audience to what my family calls "black rats and cats"-- a small entity that acts like it sounds but scurries quickly when seen.

And thank you for your time and interest in these true stories.
RSAChick (115 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-02-11)
I agree with lady-glow. This could have been a dream/nightmare seeming very real to a kid.
From your comments on your fire man story it seems you have many other experiences and even video/s to share?
Mind not to take months or even years to comment or post again, this time round!
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-02-10)
Hello Shadowwulf.

Do you know if your grandmother had any medical condition, or took any medication, or something else, that could affect her memory and personality?
I don't want to speculate about your grandmother's character but, perhaps given your age, you couldn't notice if she "acted odd, doing things that did not make sense" after some specific cause or set of circumstances.

Have you considered the possibility of this experience being just a nightmare?
Did you ever feel the buzzing sensation again? Would it be possible that it had a natural/health cause?

I'm not trying to deny your experience but it is possible that, like the kid you were, you didn't take into consideration some facts that could explain what happened that day.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: