You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Person On The Roof

Real Ghost Stories

The Person On The Roof

 

This is my first story on this site, though I have been a constant reader of stories in YGS.com.

This incident I'm about to narrate to you, was experienced by my maternal grandmother.

This incident took place when my mom was 6 years old. Back then in my mother's village, there used to be a lady whom people in the village claimed retarded.

It seems that she turned that after her husband passed away. She would roam around the entire village laughing and playing pranks on people, and would stay away from a particular house.

She would warn people to not to go near that house during night time, especially on a new moon night as she claimed the house to be haunted.

People would reject her words and tell people she's mentally retarded.

Well all this changed during one summer night. As in Indian villages people prefer to sleep outdoors during summer and on clear nights, so did my mother's family, which includes my grandma, grandpa, uncle and of course my mom.

At midnight my grandma woke up, only to see a person sitting on the roof of the so claimed haunted house. As grandma still had sleepy eyes she saw a blurred figure, but on wiping her eyes, she saw a horror of her life. This is the way she described the apparition- There sat a person with folded legs, with hands on her waist, long hair, big eyes and a long tongue sticking out from her mouth, staring at my grandma. So, grandma screams at the top of her voice.

All the villagers came running thinking it might be a thief. Grandpa woke up to see what happened and found grandma shivering. He consoled her, by the time the villagers arrived. Upon coming they asked as to what happened and my grandma narrated it to them, to which they said it would have been a bad dream and left. This was a newmoon night, and grandma was terrified. After that my mom's family never slept outdoors.

After this incident many people claimed of seeing that spirit at night, so people around that house stopped sleeping outdoors.

Some claim it to be an ancient spirit. Well no one knows for sure.

Sorry for making it too long.

I hope you enjoyed it.

Thanks for reading.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Saturn, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Gj2005ster (9 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-14)
Cant even imagine the horror you must hv gone through... God bless you
sugarANDspice (19 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-10)
That was a horrible thing to see! 😨
You should be careful in that place.

Take care.
S&s ❤
the_superior (3 stories) (17 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-07-01)
[at] saturn
Very chilling story. Its very terrifying to see something like that at night leave alone on the goddamn roof!

I also believe that untied hair with long toungue is a sign of something very evil and violant! The description of mentioned apparition almost matches with the ghost named 'zakhin' in the south-west region of india.
valkricry (49 stories) (3270 posts) mod
+2
6 years ago (2018-06-27)
Saturn, please excuse my intrusion.

RedEyedDeath;
Let's see, apparently you have posted 5 times since joining this morning, and have managed to be insulting in every one. Result: I have deleted them all. That level of immaturity will not float on this site, and I suggest you go play elsewhere if you are incapable of intelligent interaction.
Saturn (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-06-27)
Redeyeddeath, as if you don't go to a chruch light a candle and offer prayers.
All is same.
Don't try to insult anyone or any country with your half knowledge.
Saturn (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-06-26)
And ladyglow thanks for the suggestion, will keep in mind for my next story. 😊
Saturn (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-06-26)
Ladyglow, like I said thorny bushes in front of house means no one should enter the house, and people did try to find logical explanations, but they failed to do so, as the house was not livable as the walls were completely damaged, and the insane lady slept in her home with her children, sorry for wrong information in the below comment, I asked grandma and she told the lady was alive. And moreover as I mentioned in the story, this incident occurred only on new moon nights. Few people did stay around only to find no one enter the house, as they to thought it might a human as in a thief or a drunkard, but they saw the demon appear on the roof without anyone seeing a person enter the house. And the relatives we're not in contact with anyone.
And the reason the demon didn't do anything was the village conducts a ritual every year where the ladies carry lamps to Goddess and ask the holy mother to protect the villagers from all bad things viz, diseases, evil spirits, black magic, etc. So according to grandma the goddess protected them.
Any more questions do comment. 😊
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-06-25)
Often people and especially in rural sector such incidents are talked and told and it spreads and become legends. Often these legends do no have proper logical tenets or explanations and they rely heavily on folktales.

Like good and bad legends, they also have a self-life.

Perhaps it is easier for the society to assume that someone is influenced by the upper forces rather than to diagnose the victim and investigate properly.

But what author's mother experienced whether it was actually a paranormal incident or was a victim of social deformation cannot be denied.

But still and I think we will never know.

Regards
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-06-25)
Saturn -thanks for replying though, in my opinion, it would have been better to provide all this information in the original narrative.

After reading your comments, I wonder if your grandmother completely lost contact with her relatives and previous duellers of the house.
By the many stories I have read in the forum, I'm under the impression that Indian people are very open when it comes to talk about ghosts and paranormal encounters, and rarely try to justify any event by finding 'a more logical explanation'.

This said, I find it odd that your grandmother's relatives wouldn't mention if something was going on at their house, and the way they left, not only abruptly but - didn't they keep in touch with their family left behind?

Also, your following statements seem to contradict each other:

"This incident took place when my mom was 6 years old Back then in my mother's village, there used to be a lady whom people in the village claimed retarded."

"Well when it happened the lady was dead and people had long forgotten about what the lady told them."

The third paragraph in your story makes it clear that the lady was alive at the time of this experience, nevertheless, your comment says she was dead... Which one is right?

Lastly and, from my point of view, there's not enough evidence as to say that the person on the roof was a demon... What self-respected demon would limit its evilness to just scaring people by sticking out its tongue on new moon nights?

Anyway, all of the above is just my opinion. It would be great if you remember to include as much details as possible in your further submissions.
Saturn (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-06-25)
Well when it happened the lady was dead and people had long forgotten about what the lady told them
rynne (69 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-06-25)
Could it have been the lady herself? Or perhaps due to power of suggestion, subconsciously aware of the tales of the lady, a shape was perceived as a scary woman? Just a thought.
Saturn (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-06-25)
Hello guys thanks for reading.
Lady glow my grandma told that house was abandoned, so nobody lived there. It's a practice in villages of South India if any house is abandoned they put thorny bushes in front of the door. And yes her screams are very loud.
Socracy5, the way my grandma mentioned it to me, I do think it was a demon, and that house belonged to my grandma's relatives who abruptly abandoned the house. And also that lady was called insane by others in the village as she claimed of seeing something that no one can imagine.
I still have more stories coming up. 😊
Socracy5 (3 stories) (64 posts)
-1
6 years ago (2018-06-25)
Hi Satan,

The figure you described more accurately fits a demon. Still a question if she's mentally retarded then how come she know that the house is haunted? That most of the village are unaware of, somehow her insanity and this house seems connected to me, impact of TV watching. Still I'm pretty curious about that house, any reason why is this house haunted? Any past incidents? Or anything like that?, By the way a warm welcome to YGS bro and thanks for sharing.

Regards
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-06-24)
Hello Saturn.

Oh boy, either your grandmother screams are very loud or the village was very small!

Has your grandmother ever mentioned if the 'haunted house' was inhabited or empty/abandoned? If empty, would it be possible that a homeless person was staying there? If in use, perhaps the lady of the house had a long tongue like the one in the following link:

Https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/news-photo/gerkary-brach-sticks-out-her-tongue-at-home-on-august-12-news-photo/597889428#/gerkary-brach-sticks-out-her-tongue-at-home-on-august-12-2016-in-a-picture-id597889428

I imagine seeing someone like that in the middle of the night would be scary, spirit or human, she didn't seem to mean any harm to anyone.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: