You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Shadow People :: Grim Reaper Or Shadow Person?

Real Ghost Stories

Grim Reaper Or Shadow Person?

 

When I was little, about seven years old, I would always see this sort of figure. It was almost like a shadow but it was pitch black. It had a pointed hood, just like the grim reaper. Now I know that some people say that the grim reaper is supposed to stand for death, but I didn't feel that way. Whenever this figure came around I wasn't scared of it. It was more like a companion.

One afternoon my best friend came over and we were going to go outside and play. We went out the back door and stepped on the back porch.

(I had previously mentioned to him that I was seeing this figure.) Anyway, when we stepped outside I saw it standing in between the neighbors yard and my yard. I pointed at it and told my friend that I saw it. But he claimed that there was nothing there. I didn't think anything about it and we just went about our day like nothing happened.

About a year ago I suddenly remembered that I used to see this figure. I haven't seen it since I was little. But I have done research, and I learned that they are called shadow people. Although, I am still confused on whether I saw a shadow person or the grim reaper. When I saw this figure, I also noticed that it didn't hold a scythe, like the grim reaper does. If any body has any suggestions to what I may have been seeing, I would love some input.

I haven't told many people about this experience in the fear of them not believing me. I haven't known of anybody else who has seen this sort of figure. But again, if you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Thanks, Em1234

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Em1234, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Vixenne (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-05-25)
I wouldn't say that it's the grim reaper. Usually these "grim reapers" are angels who help people on the verge of death/who are already dead, cross over. Azrael aka the angel of death, is the one most commonly seen but it's thought that he's not the only one who comes every time.

Whatever you're seeing is probably just attached to you for some reason. If it's not doing anything bad such as hurting you or those around you, you're fine.
8-bitDemigod (8 stories) (38 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-03-04)
I read in a tarot card booklet explaining what each card meant that the Reaper card, if not inverted, was a sign of new beginnings. If it's inverted then it stands for loss or death. It's been a while since I read that and I can't find my deck so I'm kind of paraphrasing. As long as you don't feel threatened by it don't worry too much, just be wary of it.
PolarianFox (2 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-02-26)
Grim Reapers are generally signs of death, most generally seen by the person who is about to die. Though there are times when a relative or someone you are close with is about to pass you are able to see the Reaper as a kind of early warning sign. Reapers do not always give the people who see them bad feelings though the affect differs from each experience. With Shadow People there are a lot of differing experiences and stories. I have had many experiences with a lot of different types of Shadow People and other entities over the years ever since I was a small child. Shadow People are usually tied to something that happened in the area or to a family. They can at times attach themselves to people or objects which can make their original origin hard to trace. Some Shadow People will choose to watch over young children and when you no longer see them it generally means they have decided you no longer need them to watch over you. Other Shadow People can be quite aggressive towards the people in which they are following. Based on how your Shadow Person acted and the feeling it gave you tells me that it was watching over you.
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-02-22)
Hi Em,

It sounds like this was a guardian of some kind. Whether it's human or other is anyone's guess. What matters is how you felt about it.
There's much debate about what shadow people are or are not. There's also a theory that sometimes ghosts appear as shadows because, for whatever reason, they can't or won't appear in a solid form.
I think the best advice you will get on what/who this was will come from you. There are many encounters like yours on the site. You can search by category.

You felt comfortable with this presence, and these are cool experiences to have, so nice one!

I enjoyed your experience, thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: