You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: I Saw Ghosts As A Child

Real Ghost Stories

I Saw Ghosts As A Child

 

I grew up in a house which was haunted. Looking back (I'm now 43) I feel it was more of a portal than a haunting by one entity. My family consisted of my brother and I and our Mother and Father. My brother is slightly older than me, and I didn't know at the time, but learned many years later that he too laid in bed at night absolutely petrified. He also heard the rapid running up the stairs. I would lay in bed, unable to move and hardly breath through sheer fear. I knew everyone was in bed, yet sure enough was that horrible sound of somebody running very quickly up the stairs. It was horrible.

Sometimes the house could be fine for periods, but then suddenly the atmosphere would change, it was like this heavy (and scary) veil would drop on you. It seemed to be that particular parts of the house were the scariest, the hallway, the stairs and the upstairs landing. Our parents would have to shout 'cuckoo' to us if we ever had to venture upstairs, even in the day-it was that bad. Visitors to the house, but especially children were also afraid of going up the stairs.

The reason I described the house as a portal is because of what I saw, and felt. Now, despite all the horror endured there, and being so afraid that I dare not breath hardly, my ghost experience was not frightening at all. I think that's because the two were very separate things entirely.

Anyway, I was about six years old. I had woken from a very frightening nightmare, which was a typical thing, and left my room to go into my parents bedroom. The stairs were right outside my door, to the right, and my parents room was to the left. Instead of turning left I looked down the stairs. I will describe what I saw:

Five people 'coming up the stairs' but they were not actually using their feet to climb the stairs, they were walking in their own space and on their own ground, which can only be described as like a projection. The five people were walking side by side, and could no way have fit in the stairs like that. They were all dressed in peasant's clothing, and by all accounts were peasants like from the middle-ages. There was one woman, one boy and the others were men. There was also a dog running at their side. The boy had a drum strapped to his front and was banging it. All of them were very happy, celebrating. I stood there as a little girl and watched them. They were not looking at me, they did not even know I was there. I often think of that moment, and this feeling like time had stood still. They were not making any noise, even though it looked like they should have been, and the silence was absolutely deafening, and when I go back in my head to that moment I can still feel that unearthly silence. I just felt confused, but not in anyway afraid. After a short while of watching I turned around and went into my parents room.

My mum said that she remembers me telling her about seeing the 'people coming up the stairs'. I do believe that those people were in their own dimension, as I was in mine. Perhaps it was an event which happened on the ground hundreds of years ago, such as the peasants revolt. Perhaps it was a glimpse at my own past life (I have also had a few significant dreams about past lives starting from the 8th Century). All through my life I have had supernatural experiences, but not like that, which is a blessing because I was a child, as an adult I think it would be scary! Thanks for reading.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Chesscat, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

2nd1st (1 stories) (118 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-06-14)
That's quite similar to my own first series of experiences. You can find them through my profile.
The feeling you describe in your second paragraph - I know exactly what you mean.

Read ing your account was actually a little triggering for me:)
Breaghboo (2 stories) (15 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-06-14)
Chesscat, that was a great story. Can I ask, was your haunted house old, and what area of the UK was it in? It's strange how you didn't feel afraid despite how creepy the experience was, but for me that just makes it more credible. I have only seen a ghost once, I think, but strangely I only felt puzzled. My husband has seen a few but just brushes them off. If they don't mean any harm what's the point of being scared?
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-05-26)
That was a well-written account, very similar in some ways to an experience I had. How old was the house where you grew up? Might be worth finding out what may have been on the site where your childhood home was built. The clothing you described should guide you in your search. Local records might contain something.
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-05-17)
Interesting experience. Did anything happen to you as an adult? It were all your experiences when you were young?
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-05-17)
Great story! I have the humble opinion that residual haunts are imprints made into the fabric of space-time that can be accessed or energized by a gifted human being. By "gifted", I mean one who has a better than normal psychic gift. But then, this is only my opinion not backed up by facts. I envy your experience!
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-05-16)
I loved your story. I also believe that sometimes what we see is from another dimension, or another time. Or maybe even happening same time, but in a different frequency? Like deja vu. I get it so much now, I am starting to wonder how many times have I lived this life? 🤔

Anyways. Loved it. Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: