You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: I Saw my Grandmother's Shadow

Real Ghost Stories

I Saw my Grandmother's Shadow

 

When I was a little girl, me and my family would always travel to Mexico for Christmas and New Years. It would be me, my mom, my sister, my aunts and uncles, and a few cousins. We would travel by bus or by car and drive to Mexico. We would stay with my aunt and grandfather at their house.

While we were there, me and my sister and cousins would stay up late, wandering the house. It wasn't big but it was a two floor house. Well, one night, we were wandering around and were sitting in the living room near the front door. We were sitting there and my cousin suddenly said, "Did you know that our grandmother died in this house?"

We were all started talking about this topic, about our grandmother and how our parents remembered everything about her. As we were talking, we heard clashing in the kitchen. It sounded like someone clanking plates and glasses together. We looked at the kitchen and it was dark.

We started telling one another to go check it out. I ended up looking and I was only about 8 or 9 back then. Well, I went to the kitchen and looked inside. I stayed there staring at what I saw.

It was a tall slender shadow holding one of the plates in it's hands and a towel in the other. I couldn't scream, or, talk, or even move. This shadow kept washing the dishes, and I couldn't move or do anything.

It was about 5 minutes later that my cousin said, "Adrienne, you okay over there?" The shadow turned and saw me. The only I saw was the shadow turning and then fading, letting the dish and towel fall to the floor.

When the dish shattered I yelped and my cousins all ran to the kitchen. Since then, they don't believe me when I say that I actually saw our grandmother's shadow. They only laugh at me.

Ever since that experience, I've been trying to learn more about spirits and paranormal happenings. I hope I learn enough and have another encounter with my grandmother again.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, PrincessOfPunk94, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

punkyXXmoi (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-07)
Omg! Pretty scary! 😢 I hope that my old relatives who passes away would not do that to me... Pretty scary!

😳
gsi0leader (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-04)
I believe you when you say you think you saw your grandmother's ghosts. Right now my grandpa is died and so is my great aunt. 😭 well bye. 😭 😭
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-19)
I was driving down the road today and a thought just came to me like the slap of my palm right on my forehead (can anyone else say "stupid stamp" with me?).
What are we doing here?
The answer for you is in all of the comments in every story of Shadow people right here on this site.
Ghosts need energy TO MATERIALIZE. If they are not strong enough, they are like a type of static that you can see. Like when you are watching television and the "snow" takes over because the channel has shut down for the night so that the workers can go home (can you tell how big OUR town is?).
They feed on FEAR. As this was a "shadow of your Grandmother" perhaps she could/WOULD not scare you enough to achieve the level of energy needed to completely materialize. Perhaps THAT is why she abruptly vanished. Maybe SHE did not WANT to scare you to be ABLE to show herself completely. Maybe it was her CHOICE to NOT gain the energy that would cause her to be recognized. Maybe she knew that would be the only way, and she took the Grandmotherly route and, IN LOVE, just disappeared to save you undue stress and fear.
I can not think of ONE other reason for you being able to KNOW this was your Grandmother in that this was "only" a shadow person. All I can figure out, providing you have given all of the information in as HONEST a recollection as possible, is that: She came to visit, but was not strong enough, and chose not to use your fear as a catalyst to make herself be known to you.
Other than that, I have one more idea. In talking with you privately I have been running the possibilities through my mind, and quite honestly, I feel the above thought may be possible.

The second idea being, you were eight or nine. Maybe instead of just being a shadow, she was a full body apparition. And in your fear, your MIND decided this could not be possible and erased the memory, and in it's place CREATED this shadow. You KNEW it was your Grandmother. ALL other accounts of shadow people show no signs of recognition.
I think both of these ideas may be plausible.
By the way, I love the glove. 😉
Thank you, Autumn.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-19)
I, too, am skeptical for reasons similar to Mustang's. It is not reasonable to assume that, upon hearing crashing in the kitchen, and your cousins sending you to investigate, that they'd merely wait around for 5 minutes while you had a supernatural experience in the kitchen. When people see apparitions (ESPECIALLY at age 9) it is very, very, very frightening. This is not a movie, it's real life and totally unnatural and an ultimately unique first experience. This has a profound impact on our psyche and it didn't seem to affect you much.

Plus, it seems pretty odd that out of nowhere, someone mentions a random fact: "hey, did you know..." while "wandering around" a house. Unless it's a mansion, I've never heard of or experienced an even childish desire to wander around a house.

My apologies if I come across harshly here, but I'm having difficulty believing this--too much just doesn't jive.

Thanks for sharing, though.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-17)
Hi Princess. I am thinking along the same lines as whitebuffalo when I ask this. How did you know that it was your Grandmother if it was only a shadow? I know that when I see shadow people, I can tell whether it is male or female so maybe you could tell by it emanating from her like whitebuffalo said. Also, curious as to why this shadow was actually holding a real dish and towel rather than a dish and towel that came with her from another realm. That is strange. Usually when the shadow disappears so does whatever it is doing with them, in this instance, a dish and towel. I can't believe you actually stood there for five minutes being nine years old without freaking out or saying anything. I wonder why your cousin's waited five minutes before calling you back. Were they not interested any more on what happened in the kitchen?

SHELBY ❤
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-17)
Hello Adrienne and welcome to this site. Reading your profile, I was surprised to learn that you draw your dreams sometimes which is something I do too. Your story brought back a memory of mine, not of something I have seen but, rather something I have heard from my grandfather. Have you ever thought that if your grandmother wanted you to see her but didn't wish to scare you as a full apparition, would choose to appear as a shadow? I have a really good reason for asking...It's amazing to read a story that has brought back such an old and almost forgotten memory!
PrincessOfPunk94 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-16)
Thank you all for the comments. I really appreciate them. 😁 I'll try and answer any of your questions as soon as possible.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-15)
Young children do seem to see more. What I am wondering is how you knew this was your grandmother? I ask that as most shadow people are indescribable and I have not read anywhere, yet, the feeling of recognition being emanated from the shadow and I am interested in finding out if that is possible.
Thank you.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-15)
Children are often more susceotable to seeing and experincing the paranormal. It may have been a case that you wanted to see her so badly after talking about her, that you were able to.

Thank you for sharing your story!
God Bless!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-15)
Nice story. I Bet you were freaked out when you saw your grandmother. I to saw a shadow once when I was older and another when I was around 9.Never felt so scared. I haven't posted the one when I was a kid but I might later. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Flipdawg (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-14)
Very interesting story! My sister had an experience similar to this but it was with my Aunt instead. I have yet to post some of my experiences, I haven't seen any ghost but I have had things happen to me that I can't explain.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: