You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Old Lady In The Living Room

Real Ghost Stories

The Old Lady In The Living Room

 

This is my first time sharing an experience on here, but I wanted to share a particular occurrence that I remember clearly and see what sort of feedback I get.

This happened about 10 or 11 years ago when I was 11 to 12 years old. I lived in a fairly big house with my 4 brothers and mum and dad. The house had an extension in the back garden that I believe the previous residents used as an office. When my family and I moved in, I managed to convince my parents to let me change that outside office into my bedroom, which was really cool.

One particular night I was feeling a bit ill, so my mum wanted me to stay in the house for the night to make sure I was ok. My mum had made a bed out for me on the sofa in the living room and it was around 10 pm. Everyone had gone to bed and I was on the sofa in the living room trying to get to sleep. It used to take me ages to go to sleep as a kid and I think about a half hour later, I drifted off to sleep.

The living room was big. We had a sofa which I was on at one end of the living room, and two single chairs next to each other in front of me at the other end of the living room. I am not sure what time it was, but I had woke up in the middle of the night, and turned around to face the two single chairs just to get more comfortable. I opened my eyes for a split second, and as I did, I was stunned and shocked to see an old lady sitting down in the single chair closest to me. I was terrified.

This old lady looked very faint, very almost see-through, but at the same time I could make out the puffy long skirt and an old fashion top with puffy shoulder pads she was wearing. Her hair was grey and tied up in a bun. She was just sitting there so still looking straight ahead but not at me. I was terrified, and incredibly slowly I just turned the other way not making a sound. I actually managed to go straight back to sleep although I didn't move an inch until my brother came down the stairs in the morning when I explained everything to him.

Unfortunately I haven't had an experience like that since, but it is something I won't ever forget. I wish now that I hadn't reacted so scared and concentrated more on what was in front of me. I like to believe she was there looking after me.

Other hauntings by Georgeyboy

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Georgeyboy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Georgeyboy (2 stories) (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-01)
Hi everyone, thank you for all your interest in my experience. To answer a few questions, I have no photos of the old lady as unfortunatly I have only this experience of her. I can 100% understand it could of been a residual haunting, I've never heard of that before. Thank you again for all your comments.
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-01)
Hi Georgy and thanks for sharing your story. I would have to agree with KimSouthO that this might be a residual haunting since she was staring towards you but not at you. These residual hauntings repeat themselves and play over and over again. You might see it again perhaps. She doesn't mean any harm. Take care of yourself. 😊
ghosthaunter89 (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-31)
Do you have any photos of the old lady in the living room? Perhaps any photos of any apparation of somekind?
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-31)
Hi Georgeyboy and thanks for sharing this interesting story with us!

That lady is surely an entity just looking after your family. I'm sure she doesn't want to hurt you but only wants to look after the house and its residents. If you want to see her again, try keeping a video camera there or stay there yourself. It would be better to keep a video camera there so that you can show the proof to others. Thanks and looking forward to hearing more from you!

Biemaster
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
glad she was there to watch over you and like other grandmother I would like have one to watch over me if I am sick but I always sick for my whole life, ot good to see that she watch over you to make sure you getting better.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
It may have been a residual type haunting you witnessed. She (the old lady) was probably not aware that you were even there. In residual hauntings, an imprint on time is created and the event is repeated. It may not have any significance on the people around but was significant for one reason or another at the time it occured.

What ever the reason was, I admire the fact that you were able to roll over and go back to sleep! How terrifying!

Thanks for taking the time to share with us!

God Bless!
Dan (1 stories) (51 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
Hi there George that was a great story. This Lady sat watching you. She meant no harm she saw that you was ill and so was watching over you to make sure you was ok. You may still have another experience yet later on in your life so don't feel bad about not making the most of it.

Thanks for sharing your story.
ladyannne (11 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
Georgy, that was wonderful to read. I am hoping one day, someone will see me, equally gray and possibly just concerned. Thanks so much for posting it.
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
Hi,thanks for sharing you story, I would say that she was there to watch over you, and that she wasn't going to harm you in anyway. Sometimes, spirits and ghosts, are nice and there are some that are just plain evil, but the case of the woman I think she was there watching over you, and making sure you were alright like any other grandmother would do. Again thanks for your story. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: