You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Ghostly Farewell

Real Ghost Stories

A Ghostly Farewell

 

I was around the age of 7 when I had my first paranormal experience.

I was staying over at my aunt's bungalow for the night; it had 2 small bedrooms next to each other that opened out into a large living area, the small kitchen and bathroom were also next to each other on the opposite side of the living area.

On the night in question I had the bedroom door open and could see pretty much most of the living room from where I was sleeping, I was sharing the double bed with my aunt and my younger sister.

I woke up, my aunt was snoring a little, and I needed to go to the bathroom, I looked into the darkness of the living room and began to feel uneasy. The moonlight was very bright and as my eyes became more used to the dark I could clearly make out the shapes of ornaments on shelves etc... I'm not sure why I didn't want to get out of bed. I just kept staring into the space ahead of me.

The room seemed to grow very cold very suddenly and I remember ducking down under the covers with just my eyes peeking over the top of the blankets. I could see the shape of the kitchen door on the opposite side of the living room where the pet dog "Prince" slept. I could hear her crying and howling and then she started to scratch urgently at the door.

At first I was relieved because I thought it must just be a storm, as Prince was terrified of thunder and always reacted to them that way, but then Prince went deathly quiet. It was as though we were both waiting for something to happen. I was so petrified and my heart sounded so loud I thought it would be heard by whatever it was there.

It was then I saw a patch of white fog, flimsy at first, appear in the middle of the living room-it grew thicker and larger and formed into a long pillar, it then slowly drifted toward the tv and took the shape and form of a woman in robes, (I later described the robes were the kind that Jesus and Mary wore).

She was praying and looking toward the tv, (A statue of Mary holding a baby Jesus and a cross with a small bible were on top of the tv at the time.) Her hair was short and curly and black. (As scared has I was I found that unusual). I was absolutely terrified that she would turn her head and look at me. I was convinced she would have red eyes! (I was only 7). She then began to tip backwards until she was laying flat and sunk through the floor still in prayer.

It wasn't until I heard the dog Prince whine, circle and drop back down that I started to breath again. The room was warm and I had wet the bed, which in turn woke up my aunt who changed the bed, calmed me down and told me to go back to sleep, which I think I did.

It was quite a few years ago, but I can still vividly remember the event itself.

Over the years I had thought that perhaps it could have been an undiscovered murder, or a unknown burial ground. Tthe only thing I know for sure is that there was a brickyard there in the 1800s, and the village itself dates back to doomsday times, however just recently I discovered that my grandmother on my father's side who I have no memory of, died at around the same time I saw the woman.

My aunt said that she had died of cancer and had lost her hair. During her illness and after her death she had worn a short, curly, black wig.

Was it my grandmother? I have no photographs of her. What do you think?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, fosnessie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

csuegar (8 stories) (30 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-03)
fosnessie, that was truly fascinating. I feel that it was an angel although it could of been your grandmother's spirit. From experience I feel that a person who is near death can some how travel to different places.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-02)
I agree that maybe it was just a residual haunting but if you had a picture of your grandmother you may be able to confirm if it was her or not.
Ghostgirl24 (9 stories) (30 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-02)
Did you not at all think that maybe just maybe this could be an angel? Seeing that you saw this figure at the time of your grandmothers death It could have been an angel waiting & praying and when it came time for your grandma to cross over the angel left to take her home. When I think white robes and white mist I think of angels. I hope this helped Take Care and God Bless
Midnight_Dreams_Like_a_Flower (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-02)
hm... Look up the families history and see what you get look up the past house owners and read about them the one that describes the ghost the most is her profile
God bless you
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-02)
Well, white robes, prayer... The white mist. It all combines to scream out a haunting, but as far if it was your Grandmother or not?...it sounds a bit like a residual haunting to me. A residual haunting is sort of a memory-locked into a location. It replays itself-over and over, not interacting with anyone, like a loop of old film. At seven, you must have been terrified to see this!. If you want a deeper understanding of residual hauntings, I have created a web page to help others www.ghost-e.com, I understand this stuff after half a century of experiencing the paranormal! Write me if you have any questions.Blessings, Ghostseer
CutieTammy17 (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-02)
Wow, that's kind of strange... Maybe you should ask your fatger about your grandmother's past...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: