You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Ghost By The Lake Has Me Pondering?

Real Ghost Stories

A Ghost By The Lake Has Me Pondering?

 

I was up north visiting my parents in Foster Twp. Near West Branch last summer. It was getting late so my partner and I decided to walk back to my sister's cottage that sits twelve houses away on Horseshoe Lake. We were talking about nothing in particular just gabbing and joking around. As we cleared a bend in the road I turned my attention from him to the road in front of me. I saw a man coming at me from the edge of the road. He was actually clear in detail close enough to my face that I could make out a beard, blue eyes, and that he was wearing a solid colored flannel.

My arms went instinctively into a defense block to protect my face and upper body. I then felt a very deep chill go through me from one side to the other. My partner then felt it go through him and exit toward the lake. We stood for a moment stunned and he asked "what the heck was that!" I gathered myself and told him what I saw. He did not see the figure because he was looking in the opposite direction, he just felt the entity go through him. We both had a difficult time sleeping that night.

As I thought about it further I came to realize perhaps the man spirit was just trying to get to the lake and we just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Last year I had another strange experience with my sister, we were at a party at my neighbor's house in Detroit. We were chatting and my sister looked down the hallway, I looked in the same direction. We both saw the shadow of a man wearing a wide rimmed hat walk from one room to another passing the hall closet. Later we found out by the couple that lived there that they were having problems with a mischievous spirit. I guess he would whisper the name of the woman who lived there when she was alone in the house.

There have been many other experiences with the paranormal that myself or family members have witnessed throughout the years. The weirdest thing is that I can tell if a house is haunted or not by the mirrors in the home. There's been about five or six homes that while there I would absolutely avoid the mirrors (I have no good explanation for this, I've never seen anything unusual or scary in a mirror.) however each one of those homes I found out later was haunted.

This makes me think do I just have a knack for seeing ghosts? Is there some reason why the past two years have had increasing paranormal activity? I'm boggled.

Other hauntings by ejgavinart

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ejgavinart, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ejgavinart (3 stories) (19 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-16)
Tempestmoong I apologize for the misspelling of your name. Whoops!
ejgavinart (3 stories) (19 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-16)
Tempest moon, I'm sorry it took so long To see your comment. It's been quite some time since I've been on. I'm very excited someone else has seen him. It's an experience that is seared in my memory as if it happened just yesterday. I've been up many times since, so far nothing else has happened.
DocRoss (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-13)
Mirrors are a reflection of the aura that can be seen or felt if strong enough. There is a demon that feeds on the reflective aura and can only be seen in a mirror. I have had no experience with a mirror demon, but I have been roaming MI dealing with a few problems for people that have hauntings. I'm not what youd call orthodox, but I am extremely connected.
tempestmoong (3 stories) (33 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-02)
I don't know if you check on comments but I had a similar experience when staying up in that area with friends.
We had gone to walk up by the lake and though there were 5 of us at one point I saw 6, the man I saw matched your discription, Moments later I saw the same man down by the lake and asked my friends who knew everyone who he was and none of them could see him.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-02)
That very well MAY be it, ejgavinart.
You have "slowed down". I know the whole time I lived in San Diego, Ca I only had a few experiences (teen, older teen years). In Detroit/Warren, Mi, small handful (young child). In THIS backwoods, hole in the wall, crickets chirping in the middle of winter with five foot of snow place, I seem to enjoy MUCH more.
Just like the three o'clock in the am theory. It is quieter, we are relaxed, we are at peace. We slowed down.
Thank you.
ejgavinart (3 stories) (19 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-01)
I don't think its the mirrors themselves, as much as where they are located. I have mirrors around my own home and don't feel wierd. Matter of fact I can't help but to look in one in passing (I'm a little conceded...lol) Seriously though, I asked my sister about this and she said that sometimes spirits will use mirrors to observe us and some of us can use them the same way. But Ill tell you I'm not about to go in the bathroom and do the Bloody Mary test...nope!
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-01)
I collect old mirrors. I have never had any kind of weird thing happen with any of them. This could be that I am just not sensitive or the 1886 house I live in is simply not haunted. There are times when I feel cheated because of this but mostly I'm just thankful it isn't haunted. If I had something pass through me I don't know how I would react to it. If I saw it first and then it passed through me I would be freaked out. I only ever had one experience that I couldn't just chalk up to imagination. I can imagine what it's like when you can see the parnormal world and then you have to deal with the fact that you can. I don't know if it's something one can ignore if they try hard enough. Does rational thinking accomplish this? I don't know. I'm sure many people have blown off things they saw, heard or felt because they just can't believe in the reality of it. I think the supernatural exists. I also think there is a procedure that allows us to determine if it's really paranormal or just normal. The wisdom is knowing the difference. I think you handled it all with aplomb and not hysterics so you may be more used to this gift than you realize. That means while helping yourself understand you may also be able to help others to whom it's happening. It all depends on how one uses the gift/curse. You sound to me like you would treat it as a gift and be of value to others because of that gift.
ejgavinart (3 stories) (19 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-01)
Hi Whitebuffalo. Yep Horseshoe lake in Ogemaw county. I think you may be on to something with the residual thing. This wasn't a "period" ghost like you would read in other stories. I think that's why it was so startling. He looked like someone I'd see walking down the street... Well someone who was walking down the street and not through me anyway lol.
As a teen I would see movment and glimmery shapes at my sisters apartment (that'll be my next story) but that was years ago. And now a sudden emergence. Maybe its because I'm not living life in the fast lane anymore and have become more settled. Taking time to smell the roses and appreciate life in all its forms. Thanxs
😁
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-01)
Ever wonder why it is called Horseshoe Lake when it is not shaped like a horseshoe? You are talking about the one in Ogemaw County, aren't you?
I really HAD to laugh at your description of you blocking your physical body, when your partner was just nonchalantly walking down the road. That happens to us all the time. I will be flailing my arms to get something "off me" or "away from me" and whoever is standing right with me just stands there looking at me as if the flea just might get away.
He MAY have been residual. And not an actual ghost (a replaying of an event).
Bringing back memories with the insert of the story of Detroit. I grew up there for a while. Can not say anything about that experience, you already answered it.
It seems to me, that when a person starts getting interested in a topic, they notice it a lot more. Say... Three years ago you may never have thought a ghost would walk through you, then after the experience, you started checking into things. That is how the interest started. When you start to read about other's experiences, you notice signs of things that you have experienced yourself. I just think that we notice more, when we are more knowledgeable about it.
Thank you.
ejgavinart (3 stories) (19 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-01)
I forgot to say, It wasn't scary when I felt it go through me, I wasn't even sure for a second that's what was happening. It was weird, and a first for me.
ejgavinart (3 stories) (19 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-01)
I was actually more defensive than scared, mainly because I thought it was a real person comming at me. He was solid looking. I was creeped out afterwards but I downplayed a lot of my emotions to keep my partner from getting too scared. It was hard to sleep that night I kept replaying it my head. I have seen ghosts before just not that vividly.
boredghost247 (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-01)
WOW, I feel the same way with mirrors, (if the house is haunted). Were you scared when the entity went though you?! 😲
I have also seen many ghosts, but never told anyone. I'm gald that I'm not the only one that fells the way about mirrors. Your story was good, I liked it.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: