You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Hunting Camp

Real Ghost Stories

Hunting Camp

 

Here is some background information about me. I was born and raised in the south. Hunting, fishing and being outside is what I am all about. I have been lost alone in woods and have been in places that if one would allow it to happen, would scare anyone.

1986-Woods around Tignall Georgia. I was at a hunting camp with some friends. I had spotted a nice area that had been clear-cut 3 or 4 years ago. The undergrowth was about head high and thick as could be. Perfect place for deer to hide. My companions told me that they had hunted the area before but to no avail. I thought it was perfect. I drove my truck up the service road to the end of clear cut where the big trees overlooked. I carried a portable deer stand to a nice strong tree and climbed up.

On the way to the stand I passed an old foundation and still standing chimney of a very old house, pre-civil war I guessed. I sat up in the tree for hours. No sign of anything. I looked at the old chimney and there was a man in a dark jacket looking at me. Although I had permission to hunt the land I decided to make contact and make sure I wasn't on someone else's property. I waved, he did nothing. I climbed down and walked over. No one there. I went back up tree, he was back. On my third trip back up I yelled at man. He didn't move.

I broke a fundamental law of hunting. I zeroed in on the man with my scope. He was wearing a plain jacket and pants, I could see his beard. Now really ticked off I went back down, walked over to chimney and looked at some landmarks I had found with the scope. An old bucket near chimney, a tree with 2 busted limbs. These landmarks were directly behind the man. Once again I climbed down, walked over to chimney and examined the ground. No footprints except mine.

Now I was scared and mad. I thought some of my buddies were screwing with me. I checked all around the old foundation and surrounding area. Nothing. I decided to get the heck out of there. I went back up the tree to get my Treestand and took another look. Sure enough there he was. I then did something I had never done. I put a round from a 30-06 rifle right above his head. He didn't even blink. I knew then something was very wrong. I repeated the shot but this time right at his feet. Same result.

By that time I was ready to go. On my way past that old house I saw where my bullet had hit the ground and where the other had hit the chimney. All I wanted to do was to go. I did, In a HURRY. I got to my truck and got the heck out of there. As I was driving up the service road I was shaking. I stopped and thought about the whole Morning. Why were there no birds? How come I didn't see any signs of deer, rabbit, squirrels or other woodland creatures?

When I got to the main road I saw an old Black man working his garden. I stopped and asked him about the land I was just on. He laughed at me for hunting that land. "Aint nothing lives down that road but trees" He added that during the (civil) war, a whole family was killed by a stranger who was never caught. Or at least that is what his grandpa told him. All he knew was that it was a waste of time to hunt anything down in those woods.

I went back to the deer camp and lodge. Quietly packed my stuff and left without saying a word. I never told this story for the ridicule the guys would have given me. But every now and then, I have a dream where I am up in that tree and the Man walks up to the tree. I wake up scared as a baby.

I am posting this story to get it off my chest. I have since spent many a night in the woods. Strange sounds abound but there is always an explanation. I don't look for ghost or other things but that one day will be with me forever.

I am not very computer savvy so I can't say how I will respond to comments, but maybe I will learn something.

Thank you D

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, islandD, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-24)
It would be interesting to revisit that place with a friend, and a motion camera or two.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-09)
WOW this was a creepy story! I wouldn't know how to react if this happened to me. Thank you for sharring this incredible story with us. I realy did like it. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
islandD (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-15)
The man by the chimney was staring right at me, Thats why I climbed down. I thought I was on the wrong property. People get real upset with folks on their land. I never had an opportunity to go back to that camp. My job etc led me to a small island in North Carolina. Whatever I saw was real. I have always been very rational so when I fired the shot I KNEW something was bigtime wrong. My brain could not accept what I was seeing so my fight or flight mechanism took over. Thank you all for the comments. I have had the dream twice since I posted story. Most likely because of the fact that I have been talking about the incident a lot.
the_haunted_girl1107 (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-09)
Thats creepy, I have had the same kind of thing, but its the house behind me, the mother and child were murdered and then the murderer shot himself, my freinds told me that they have seen a man with a knife in my colset and in my window, personaly I have never seen him, I live in a very old neighbohood too, dating to the late 50's
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-08)
You mentioned that you were Baptist and that you were taught to accept the word. Well I am sure you have heard of the holy ghost. Well if there is a holy ghost (Jesus) then there has to be regular ghosts. That's what I've always thought. 😁
Hope you have better luck hunting elsewhere! Should you ever be back that way, do you think you might take another go at seeing that ghost? Maybe he was a similar person to yourself and that is why he could relate to you and show himself to you. Maybe there is a connection and you can help him. Shoot! Maybe the tree you were sitting in was planted right over evidence!
Good luck hon! 😊
ico (1 stories) (34 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-07)
If that story the old man told you was true, do you think it was the father of the family or the murderer?
butthead (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-07)
very interesting. I could only think that I myself had seen things from a distance (such as a lady looking through a curtian window of an empty hoouse) only to go nearer and see nothing, wondering if it was just your imagination playing tricks. But when you said you used the scope and could still see... That must have been very very freaky.
Anyway, very interesting. I'm at college and bored and can't be a***d to work, thanks for helping me pass the time
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-07)
Great story indeed! Thank you for sharing. I hope to have you back more often.
celtcharm (29 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
Hi islandD, I think what you saw may have been a residual haunting since the man didn't interact with you or move. The negative energy from that long ago murder may still be in the area of that old homestead. Thanks so much for shareing your experience. Peace, Celtcharm
mulder81 (16 stories) (21 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
Very cool and weird story. It really griped me. Did the man move at all? I had a wierd experince in my woods by a stream next to our property, but it ended up explainable. Yours sounds like a true ghost.
Jmak (6 stories) (156 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
I think that would have been my last hunting trip period. 😆 On a serious note; have any of the other people at the hunting camp said anything about that area? Have they hinted that they had experiences in the same area? I hope your nightmares have gone. God bless.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
Welcome to the site and thanks for sharing your captivating experience with us, islandD! Did the figure by the ruins look directly at you or was he looking in your direction? Did you have any indication in your gut of his disposition toward you? Thanks.
EVPResearcher (34 stories) (140 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
Great story! Did he just stare at you the whole time? Was it broad daylight or dusk?
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
Thank you for sharing your story with us! That sounds really freaking scary and although you did break some rules, I think I might have done the same thing. Panic does funny things to you I suppose. That's really creepy... I wouldn't know what to do but I know I'd be out of there real quick, that's for sure!

Blessings,
DA
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
Yes I have to agree with you there "nightmares are our brains on vacation". I am wondering whether you do need to go back to find out what you witnessed, maybe then the nightmares will stop, if they have not already. It is just a thought. Sometimes we have to go back to move forward. I am sure you have loads more stories to tell, so I will definitely look out for them. Once again thank you for sharing such an amazing story with us.
islandD (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
Thanks, I think nightmares are our brains on vacation. All day long we force them to do whatever get us through the day. Then at night they can play. Being a Southern Baptist I have been taught to accept the word and don't question. That was what disturbed me so much that day in the woods. My brain could not or would not accept what I was seeing. In hindsight I should have studied the man. I enjoy your website. If and when I get my own computer I will be sure to be a frequent visitor.

P.s. That was my last hunting trip to unfamiliar woods...
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
Hi and welcome to YGS.

This is an amazing story. I hope you feel better getting it of your chest now. You were obviously very disturbed about what you experianced, hence the nightmares. I hope the nightmares stop now you have shared your experiance with us all.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: