You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Screaming My Name At Night

Real Ghost Stories

Screaming My Name At Night

 

About six months ago is the first time this happened. I moved back in to my parent's house in Orlando, Florida while I finished my BA degree. Most of my classes were in the evenings or night so I didn't usually get home until almost midnight a long time after everyone else had gone to bed. On this night, it was about 3am when I finally crawled into bed. Everyone in the house has been asleep in bed for many hours. I turned on my TV but turn the sound almost all the way down. (I can't sleep in silence.) I roll over onto my right side and begin drifting off to sleep. I know I'm almost completely asleep because I have that weightless feeling though I can still hear what's going on around me. The TV is just a soft murmur in the background.

All of a sudden, someone screams my name into my right ear, the ear that is touching the pillow; "JEN!" I jump off my bed like it was on fire and am standing in my room that is only illuminated by the TV Still, no one in the house is awake and they sure aren't in my bedroom, no one other than me is in my bedroom. I stand there, breathing hard and shaking because I was so startled. I look around and can't see anything so I try to calm down and crawl back into bed.

Now, sometime about 4 weeks ago again just coming home late from class, I crawl into bed and do my nightly routine. TV Is on, but barely loud enough to hear. I toss and turn for about 30 minutes. I have this strange feeling I'm being watched. I get back up and look around the house just to make sure the doors are locked, everyone's in bed, etc. Finding nothing, I return to my room. Though I still feel like I'm being watched, I force myself to try to fall asleep since it's already almost 3am. Again, just like before, as I begin to feel weightless though still aware of what's going on around me I start to drift off.

Then it comes again but this time it's my full name; "JENNIFER!" But unlike last time I don't jump out of bed scared. It was screamed in a way that sounded impatient. It reminded me of the way my mom used to yell at me to get up for school when I was a kid after she had already told me many times to get up; impatient. VERY impatient and getting even more impatient every minute. However, it was a man's voice. Automatically, I answered just as anyone would when they heard their name yelled so loud. "WHAT!" I yell back, also sounding impatient and highly irritated! At first I did think it was my dad yelling at me, and I waited to see if he'd respond. When he didn't, I got up to walk towards their room. But their room was dark, and he was snoring. I walk back to my room puzzled.

2 weeks later the same thing happens. Drifting off to sleep my name is screamed. Now I'M highly irritated. I again yell back "WHAT!?" Again, nothing. So I this time, I sit up in bed and figure... Well... Something or someone is here and they're being annoying and I'm done with this. So I say "Look... Stop screaming at me! Just tell me what you want or go away! You're pissing me off!" Of course nothing or no one responded.

Now it's about a month later and I'm done with my classes. I'm usually in bed and asleep by midnight. This morning (10/28/09) about 5:15am I hear what sounds like my dad walking by my room saying "what's that noise? It sounds like a bell ringing?" I ignore him thinking he was speaking to my mom, asking her if it was her cell phone ringing because her ringer sounds a little like a bell. I look at the T.V. Which now is frozen on a channel and the time on the news station says 4:38am though the real time (from the clock on my bedside table) says it's after 5am so I know it's not noise from the T.V. When I finally get up around 11:00, I ask my mom why her phone was ringing so early in the morning. She tells me her phone didn't ring the 1st time today until about 10:00am and that she didn't hear my dad say anything about a bell. When my dad gets home from work I ask him what he was talking about that morning, what bell or sound was he referring to. He tells me that he said nothing about a bell all morning and didn't even talk except to ask my mom if she wanted coffee when they were in the kitchen (which is on the opposite side of the house from my room and I would not have heard any of their conversation anyway).

So what or who keeps waking me up?! Why do they keep doing it and why are they so concerned about a stupid bell ringing? (Which I never heard ringing, I might add) I'm just thankful they aren't screaming my name anymore!

Other hauntings by jennie1042

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jennie1042, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Maggots (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-28)
Well I am going to be honest here, What you said in your story happens to me more then once since I was at school and my grandma would sometimes scream out my name if I didn't wake up.

Well one night I was sleeping peacefully and I was suddenly waken up by my grandma screaming right next to my ear saying "TOM" then I got up instantly to find myself alone in the room so I rushed to the living room to see why she screamed at my ear, to my surprise everyone was sleeping and I could not go back to sleep.

And few weeks ago I had something just like this happen asking me to wake up few minutes before 6 Am with a soft voice calling my name right next to my ear and I went on with my day still hearing the voice calling my name next to my ear.
EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-30)
Hi Jennifer, I've been through something similar. One time six years ago me and my dad were going to go swimming but my dad couldn't find the pool key so I was getting mad and impatient when out of nowhere a gentle voice called out to me. I turned no one there I found the key and asked my dad if he had called me. No, I wasn't afraid of it just confused could it have been a friendly ghost or guardian angel who knows God bless and my own personal blessings to you~Katherine~ ❤
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-18)
Jennie1042--Accepting that life requires tension to go forward, we know it must be maintained with proper balancing mechanisms or we go awry. Solutions can't always originate in us but often come to us when our minds are relaxed, as your own receptive mind knows.
Entities on the Other Side may share qualities such as loneliness, anger, love, desire, etc., but I think that we sometimes stretch the parallels and believe they must obey the same behavioral laws as we do on This Side. I think we so eagerly want to know them so we have some control, we make conclusions too early.
Do you think the Other Side is a big convention center with ghosts all getting to know each other? <G> Not sure about that one. Evidence seems to support the theory that most are isolated or (more rare) with a group of fellow sufferers. Maybe to some of them we are the ghosts. ~ James
jennie1042 (3 stories) (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-18)
James, You know... You do have a point. I was very stressed out about that time. Studying for finals, getting my graduation stuff taken care of, waiting to see if I made the National Honor Society, finding a job, having to start paying back my student loans, etc... It was all very stressful. And the closer it got to the end, the more frequent these things happened. And yes, that would definately be a benevolent authority (my dad). Since this last time, it hasn't happened at all... Yet. I still think it was a ghost:) But maybe it was a ghost trying to keep me alert:)

Composerman, You think ghosts get lonely? I never really thought about it. But would they be lonely when there are so many ghosts linguring around? Idk... That's something to ponder:)

Trudy, So sorry to hear about your mom's dad. That's sad: (Maybe it really was him watching out for her, that would be very cool (and sweet) to know he was still around and cared for her.
Trudy82 (5 stories) (57 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-17)
Hello Jennifer,

That's really interesting. My Mom had a similar experience in her 20's or 30's. For a long time these two or three female spirits would gather around her (invisible but WAY audible) every morning before her alarm went off, and they would say really nasty things. They always said, "Let's get her! Let's get her!" And then they would SCREAM really loud and long into her ear. It made my Mom's ears hurt and it scared her! She was always awake when it happened. But one morning after a long time of being haunted by these malicious women, they did their normal screaming routine, and then a very warm and friendly male voice cut in and said, "Good morning Trudy, it's time to wake up now." (My Mom's name is also Trudy like mine.) A feeling of peace came over my Mom and the spirits never returned again. My Mom likes to think it was her real Dad looking out for her. (He died right before she was born.)
Anjoubelle (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-05)
I remember a similar experience when I was about ten. Someone came into my room, I could hear them walking up to me, and shout my name. I was up as soon as I heard thinking it was my cousin playing a joke but no one was there. My room was quite big and there was no way anyone could have hidden that fast after practically shouting in my ear. Sometimes ghosts like to be heard you know, they feel so out of it that they want to make sure we are aware of them. Ghosts can get lonely 😊
Composerman (33 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-04)
I awoke once at 4:35 to something shouting 'Clare' in my ear. I don't know any Clare, so this is still a mystery to me! Spirits are often trying to get our attention, perhaps one was trying to get yours in the early hours of the morning when you were more receptive to it? Maybe the TV being on somehow helped channel it's communication? Thanks for sharing this!
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-04)
Jennie1042--Assuming we always look for an explanation in unusual but natural outside causes, then go to physiological causes, I suggest it was stress that caused you to hear your name--your mind was saying "Stay alert!" You did, passed your classes, and now the lingering stress takes itself out not by shouting in your ear but by putting the bell question in the mouth of your father (benevolent authority?). A class bell? No, Jennifer, classes are over; no need to obey the bell now.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: