You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Unexplained Headlights

Real Ghost Stories

Unexplained Headlights

 

I just finished writing a story about me and my husband's fishing adventure a few nights ago and wanted to write another while it is still fresh in my mind.

Several years ago my stepsister and I were on our way home from church. It was a Wednesday night, cold and clear. We took a back road, one that is narrow and curvy and not traveled as much as the other road we would normally take. We also normally didn't take this road at night because of different stories that had been told and the creepy feeling you sometimes get when on this road at night. We rode along in silence, both of us lost in our own thoughts. I noticed a car approaching us and saw my stepsister flip the switch to dim her own headlights. We continued on along the road, very dark as there are few street lights. I knew my stepsister was waiting for the car to pass so she could put her lights back on high beam. But the car never passed us. After a minute or so, my stepsister asked me if I saw a car coming towards us. I told her I did and told her I noticed she had dimmed her lights so I knew she had seen it too.

We were both puzzled as to where the car had gone. We knew the road was narrow so she would have needed to slow down and get over to the right side of the road as much as possible to let the car by. But when we never saw a car pass, we tried to figure out where it went. We even turned around and went back to the place in the road where we saw the oncoming headlights to see if maybe the car had turned off or turned around. The only problem was, there was no turn off and no way the car could have turned around. On one side of the road was a steep hill with a railroad at the top and on the other side of the road was a steep bank shielded by a guardrail. No road to turn onto, no house to maybe have pulled in a driveway, no drop offs and no other car in sight. As a matter of fact, we didn't even see another car from then until we got home. We both remained puzzled about this for several days. Even now, sometimes when we are together for family gatherings, either she or I will bring it up to each other and say "remember when we saw the car... Or at least the headlights of a car? ". Neither she nor I have ever had anything like that happen to us again, but that was enough to make us question what it was.

As I said, this road has many stories. They are not pleasant ones. One story was told by my cousin years ago and after he told it, he has never spoke of it again. He worked about an hour's drive away so he carpooled with a few other guys that lived near him. They worked second shift so it was always late when they got home. One guy always liked to take this back road home when it was his week to drive. On their way home one night they were almost at the end of the road when they all spotted something on the side of the road. A railroad trestle bridge is at the end of the road. As they were about to pass through the trestle, they saw a group of people to the left of the road and what looked like a fire. They all wondered what in the world was going on at two in the morning in a vacant lot. The guy put the car in reverse and backed up. He said that when they backed up, they saw a group of people dancing and what he thought sounded like chanting. There was a huge fire and beside the fire was a young girl with long blonde hair wearing a white gown. The guy driving decided they didn't want any part of whatever was going on and wanted out of there. When he put the car in drive and started to race out of there, they looked again, but nothing was there. No people, no fire, no blonde girl nothing. My cousin told this when he arrived home that night because his wife could see something had really bothered him and he was almost physically sick. He told her what he had just seen and has never spoke of it again. He won't talk about it.

Another story is that a young girl was found hanging in a tree after she committed suicide on this same road. I can't remember if this was before or after what my cousin said he witnessed. There are many stories and reported sightings of a young girl in white along this road but I don't really associate that with the headlight thing my stepsister and I experienced. There are many other stories but none of headlights that I'm aware of.

This may have only happened one time, but it is something that my stepsister or I have ever forgotten. It was just so strange. Especially when you know this car couldn't have turned around on either side of the road for a few miles and seems to have just simply vanished. Make any sense?

Other hauntings by butterfly66

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, butterfly66, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

anniewilder (10 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-26)
Hi Butterfly66,

I really enjoyed your story. I would like to include it in a book I'm writing about haunted roads. Contributors will be paid a stipend of $25.00 and get a free copy of the book. You could use a pen name if you'd like. If interested in more info, please email me at: truckerghoststories [at] yahoo.com.

Thanks!
Annie
butterfly66 (4 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-22)
Thanks for all of your input, I found it to be interesting. Ghostboy, Northie and Brandon, ghost cars, ghost lights, spirit of the girl in white... All very interesting, and spooky I might add.

Zzsgranny, we have many, many narrow curvy roads here but this one is the only one I ever feel out of sorts on during the night. Matter of fact, I haven't traveled that road at night in several years and it ends only about 2 miles from my house.

Lilady, I have heard rumors of satanist worship that have taken place in that area so that makes sense too.

Thanks everybody, I feel a little better from all the input. I have questioned myself for a long time about the feelings I got on that road, but now I firmly believe there IS something not right about it.
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-19)
Cool story, butterfly. It does make sense.
Maybe you can research the area for deaths and perhaps Satanist worship, or even just Pagan worship that is different to Satanist worship.
Sounds quite odd that many people saw the same thing (your cousin and his work-mates, and you and your stepsister). Usually it's only one or two people at a time that experience the same thing.
This must be real, not hallucinations.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-08-16)
butterfly: I absolutely LOVE spooky, narrow, curvy roads!...There isn't any here in Vegas, except in the desert, and I don't venture out of the city too often...

The only question I have for you is: how close were you to the end of the road?...Could someone have turned onto the road and then backed away off, and gone a different direction?...I'm sure you two considered that option, just checking, though! 😆...

Other than that, I agree with Brandon, check into "ghost lights"...

Great story, by the way!...Thanks for posting... 😊
BrandonCR (5 stories) (64 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-16)
Research Ghost lights, they have been a common phenomenon since ancient times, they often dissapear once you get close enough to them. Japan has many ghost stories that involve ghost lights, but reports have been made all over the world. They are very real, I may have even seen a few ghost lights in my time, either that or it was a UFO, I tend to lean towards ghost lights.
Northie (2 stories) (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-16)
There's a road I travel on sometimes. When I first started using it - and at night - I had a similar experience. After a bit of investigation, I found that on one part of the road, you can see car headlights further up the road - about 4 miles up the road. I think that the power of car headlights on 'full beam' is supprisingly high, and on a clear night could be seen to be very bright even at long distances. In my case, there were turn offs between myself and the car.

On the other hand, the light you saw could have been the energy of the spirit of the girl in the white gown
ghostboy001 (4 stories) (137 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-16)
i don't know if this will help explain but one night while watching tv I was watching a show that investigated the scientific side of paranormal activity. They were investigating a ghost car that had magicly gone through a fence and had made it to some paranormal speed. They easily debunked the paranormal speed but the fence they would try to go though it but they would take the fence with them or something but finally they were able to debunk that so my point it is hard to tell what may have caused the headlights. My theory is that their is a streetlight setup (accidently) so at a glace it my look like headlights if you are maybe going around a curve but that's all I got.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: