You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Old Tree Topper

Real Ghost Stories

The Old Tree Topper

 

I am 41 years old. My experience was back when I was 13 years old.

On my way home from school the last week of the school year I was stopped by an old man on the side of the road, who asked me if I wanted to make some money helping him to top a tree at the end of his driveway where he parked.

I reached out and shook the man's hand while asking about tools I would be helping him with on the tree. He said, "follow me," as he turned and started walking around towards the rear of the house.

The man opened up an old half broken down tool shed and started dragging tools out for me to use. As I got back around to the tree I noticed two of my school mates walking down the hill beside the street infront of the old man's house.

I asked my friends if they wanted to help me with topping the tree for the old man. One of my friends, Harold said sure, the other said no and walked away down the street. As we started working on the tree for the old man he started talking about praying and God and religion. I asked him if he was a preacher. He replied no, but there is a certain way to pray. He started telling me and my friend about finding us a big ole rock out in the woods and being there alone and starting a discussion with God. Just me and the rock and God.

After several hours we finished the tree and the old man was happy. He said, I have been trying to finish the tree for years now but was getting too much up in age and couldn't do it. He handed me $2 for my work. I wasn't impressed but took it. As we were standing there talking with the old man a car pulled up into the driveway, an older lady got out with an upset look on her face. She ask us, "WHAT ARE YOU TWO DOING IN MY DRIVEWAY TO MY TREE?" I told the lady we were topping the tree for this old man. She asked me, "what old man?" I said this old man standing right here beside me. She said, what's his name? So I ask the old man what his name was. He told me his name was Otis. The older lady turned white and fell to the ground passed out. I ran to help the lady and told my friend to call the operator for an ambulance.

When the ambulance arrived and they revived the older lady, they asked her what was wrong. She replied, "Otis was my husband. He died while topping that tree 11 years ago." She showed a picture of Otis and he was one and the same. The old man was gone. It has been 26 years now and still to this day I have never seen the old man again. Maybe his job was finally done and he moved on.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arkansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, number2ark, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

chadlee2003 (1 stories) (31 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-09)
So a ghost gave you money, something doesn't sound right about that. I mean was it real and you said the old man dragged the tools out of the shed?
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-09-26)
also curious about the $2 the old man handed you. Was it real? Were you left holding this money after he vanished?
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-23)
N2A,
I'm interested in the part of the story where the old woman confronted you. Apparently she could not see the old man even though he was standing right beside you and you could communcate with him. But what did he say about her? He could hear her, couldn't he? I'm surprise he answered her question that you relayed to him regarding his name, but he did not mention any relationship between the two of them.

Lou
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-23)
Wow that was nice of him ask you and your friend to take care of the tree so he can done his bussiness to go on his way.
Sourmoonfruit (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-22)
Awww, he couldn't move on unless he finished the tree for his wife. ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: