You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Lost Radio Station Or Real Demonic Growl?

Real Ghost Stories

Lost Radio Station Or Real Demonic Growl?

 

So, this story took place when I was 14 years old, and my sister in her early 20's. I am now in my early 30's, but this experience still frightens me to this day. We lived in Southern Texas back then, in the countryside, dirt roads, mesquite trees, barbwire fences and all that crap. We often visited a cousin that also lived "in the sticks" because she was my sister's age and they commuted to college together.

One early evening, my sister asked if I wanted to join her for the drive to my cousin's house, and I agreed. It was about a 15 mile drive, but as the roads were all unpaved, some partially graveled, and some simply sand, one had no choice but to drive slow... And it usually took 40 minutes to reach our cousin's house. As my sister drove her old cutlass on the road, I remember looking out at the trees and just enjoying the calm (this part of Texas is very isolated), she swerved on the dirt road, because a rabbit jumped in front of the car. She unfortunately hit the poor thing and it died instantly. She kept driving and made me promise not to tell our mother... I don't know why, my mother wouldn't have cared, but I said "Okay."

Further along the boring drive, we could always only get limited radio reception... So we had some crappy radio station we didn't want to hear on, probably old country and western or something. Anyhow, as we stayed quiet because of what happened with the rabbit (no one feels good about hitting innocent animals right?) the station started to have more static and eventually just turn to silence. We then heard this loud growling, very unearthly... Like no animal I had ever heard before. Very loud, and we hadn't touch the turn dial since we first got in the car. The growl made us look at one another and then around at the deserted country road. My sister looked out her window and swore she saw a pair of red eyes staring from some wild shrubbery that we passed. She drove as fast as she could to my cousin's house and we told her and my aunt about what we saw, but my aunt didn't believe us. We didn't stay long, but headed home, only to have a few more rabbits jump in front of the car again on the return drive... Of which we avoided this time. My sister joked that this was all because we hit the rabbit earlier that evening.

I still don't laugh about that. She still remembers the growl. I have no clue what happened, but I am pretty sure the intensity of the growl we heard on the radio was not from a crossed station. I can't explain the rabbits either. My grandmother used to tell us "ghost stories" but mostly they were folklore, especially since we are Mexican- American, but nothing like this had ever been mentioned.

I have many other experiences that happened later in my life, and still occur until this day, but will write about those later. But I want to know what do you think the growl was?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Autumn13, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Leroux1910 (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-06)
[at] rosienbloom:
Me too! I always call to archangel Micheal when I'm afraid or feeling negative energy directed towards me:) it always makes me feel safe.
shadow13 (7 posts)
-1
14 years ago (2010-10-06)
Like others have said I think it is a domnic but it could be a were wolf. It is possible for were wolves to be a wolf during the day so it well yer it could be that or it could be this deomon dog I have herd of called the "Shrieker" so was it a growl of a dog or was it like a horrible scream/screech. Anyway I hope this helped

SHADOW13 ❤
Antoinette (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-05)
Wow, that's scary Hee Hee... I even had an experience when Somtin just yelling or shooing whatever at my left ears... It sounds so evil, lol
roseinbloom (4 stories) (117 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-10-03)
Autumn 13, I pretty much agree with JimD. The reason, being, that when my son was 4 years old, he had trouble sleeping in his room alone, and I frequently, had to sleep with him, until he would fall asleep. One night, I was really tired, and did not awaken, (to return to my own bedroom), until after 3 A.M. The hallway was quite long, and when going to my bedroom, all the hair on the back of my neck and arms, stood up. I hurried, along, and when I got into my own bed, as soon as my head hit the pillow, I heard this extremly loud growl in my ears. Needless to say I was startled, and did not want to believe what I had heard. Unfortunatly, I "did", hear it, and I was wide awake. I don't know if you've ever been to the circus, and heard the roar of a lion or tiger at close range, but it sounded just as loud and evil. I said a prayer, and it has never happened again. Although, before this happened, someone had written dirty words on our front door with lipstick and what looked like poo. I have always felt, it was a "curse", that was directed at my family. Anyway, just pray the St. Michaels' prayer of protection and that may help. That's what I did, and it never happened again. Love and good luck! ❤ ❤ ❤
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-10-02)
Autumn13--What about a chupacabra? Any local reports?
The rabbits could be, well, just rabbits being rabbits and plenty of 'em in the underbrush.
Since your cousin and aunt go down that road more often than anyone, perhaps one will have an experience to supplement yours. You might check with area police or newspaper editors or reporters for any similar reports.
And yes, good to see you again, Troyarn. Your Burns Ranch and other experiences were memorable. Still living across the Great Pond?
JimD (431 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-10-02)
Hi;

Growls, like that of an amimal but worse, are often demonic, as are the glowing eyes, dark shadows, fear, chaos, a feeling of being watched, night time chockings, intrusive (often sinful) thoughts, night time whisperings, etc - especially at 3 AM, the hour that mocks / inverts Jesus hour of death on the Cross, held traditionally as 3 PM.

Then again, maybe it was a natural animal. I don't think so, because it sounds bad, but I guess it could have been a dog, wolf, etc. Only you know for sure. My guess is demonic, but it's a guess.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-10-01)
I don't think what you heard or saw had anything to do with the rabbit but maybe the land you were traveling passed perhaps, very freaky however. Dont put it passed electronic frequency noises and such also as Andy24uk mentioned they can make some strange noises.

(Yes Troyarn welcome back mate thought you may have been stuck out at the Burns Ranch or something! 😆 joking buddy)

Dan
Andy24uk (1 stories) (8 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-30)
I'm not saying what you experienced isn't strange, but, radios can make some pretty weird sounds when out of tune. Electronic equiptment does tend to malfunction sometimes. I think people jump to the conclusion that its paranormal way to easily
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
-1
14 years ago (2010-09-30)
Sorry autumn13...I'd like to echo Miracles, thanks for comin' back troyarn ❤
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-09-30)
Autumn13, can I borrow your story for a minute? Troyarn, welcome back.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
+3
14 years ago (2010-09-30)
Very strange story, Autumn13. I'm not sure what to make of the growling (or the rabbits jumping out), but I wouldn't want to have it happening out in the middle of nowhere. Thanks for sharing this with us and add those other stories as soon as you can.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-09-30)
to alyssa,
the sound our neighborhood cats make in the middle of the night... They don't sound like cats. Nasty sounding when they fight, but sometimes they just growl or scream at each other, and if you don't recognize that sound as a cat, I could easily understand a persons fright.
autumn,
great story. Did a good job telling it, putting the reader in your situation.
alyssa111709 (1 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-30)
I had a simalar encounter last night my daughter was crying around 3am so I woke up and tried to get her to sleep well after I did I couldn't go to sleep so I figured id lay down and watch tv until I could fall asleep again, well my window was open and I couldn't see anyone out side... But I kept hearing a deep growling sound and I kind of just put it off as me imagining things, but I kept hearing it but would stop wen I looked out side it was quite freaky, I have had other experiences but this was the weirdest iv never hurd a growl so deep and creepy sounding... So your not the only one

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: