You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Haunted Farm House

Real Ghost Stories

The Haunted Farm House

 

In 1982, I was doing some carpentry work for a farmer in Elk Point, SD, on a house that had been moved from town to his farm about 6 miles from town. Almost as soon as I started on it, I noticed things occurring that I could not explain. I would be working in a room and go to get some materials and the lights would be off when I returned and lights would be on in rooms where I had not been. I worked there for several days and these things kept going on.

On the fourth day, I was working in the kitchen, putting up paneling and I had a ladder sitting in the middle of the room with a box of panel nails sitting on the paint shelf of the ladder. Suddenly, the ladder started sliding across the floor and it tipped over spilling the nails all over the floor. I could smell Jasmine Perfume real strong, the room had gotten very cold and it was 90 degrees outside. I had not felt the house shaking nor were there any trucks going by. I picked up the ladder and got down on my hands and knees to pick up the nails and out of the corner of my eye, I saw a shadow moving from the bathroom in to the bedroom. Then I heard the stairs squeak and I got up and went to the stairs to the upstairs bedrooms. I could not see any one so I went up the stairs and looked through the bedrooms but I could find no one up there.

I went back down stairs and finished picking up the nails. A few minutes later the farmer came in to see how I was doing. I told him about the strange things that had been going on and he started laughing. He said, "You just met our ghost," and then he told me a story about the house and why it was moved. He said the house was originally in town and the old woman that lived in the house had killed herself by hanging in the basement. He took me to the basement and showed me the beam that she hung herself from and where the neighbors found her. No one had been able to live in the house since she had died, as they could not handle the pranks she would pull on them.

We went back up stairs and he told me that she had never been violent, just that she liked to turn lights on and off and move things around. He told me to talk to her and she would leave me alone. Then he told me that when they moved the house they thought the ghost would stay in town but she did not and now he was stuck with her. As he left, he said that she would not harm me but she would continue moving things around and turning the lights off and on. I continued to work on the house and a few days later, I finished the kitchen. I saw her shadow in the bedroom looking towards me and I said, "I hope you enjoy your new kitchen..." I was there for almost a week after that and I did not have any more problems with the lights or anything else.

When the job was done and I had moved on to other work, I talked to the farmer several times and he told me that the old lady was not bothering the people that were currently living in the house. He had no explanation as to why. Believe me, this scared the heck out of me and I hoped I would never have this type of experience again, but I have, as you can see by the other stories I have written.

To see other stories by me, click on my name.

Other hauntings by saddy1943

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Idaho

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, saddy1943, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

igaled (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-30)
Hello!

I am a producing a new show called "The Haunted", which will be aired on a national network. We are looking for cases or stories involving animals that have been affected by paranormal activity or people that have seen animal spirits. We thought you m may be interested in sharing some of your experiences or cases. Your investigation (s) would be featured on the show.

If you are interested, please contact us via email at hauntedanimals [at] yahoo.com and a producer will contact you shortly thereafter.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Regards,

Ilana G
Picture Shack Entertainment
115 West 30th Street
New York, NY 10011
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
17 years ago (2007-05-21)
Sorry saddy1943, I don't know where I picked up that you were a woman, must be the name. Come to think of it, not many women like to fish and hunt ;)
saddy1943 (4 stories) (16 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-21)
Shane and Martin, I thank you for your comments and I look forward to your comments when I post my next story. O'h , by the way Saddy is the name of my Black Lab, I am a Man. Saddy1943
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
17 years ago (2007-05-21)
Sometimes people just need to be acknowledged, and the fact that she more or less communicated with the ghost about the changes going on, as if requesting her approval, may have appeased her.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-21)
Another interesting story saddy. Thank you for sharing it with us. I think maybe the little old lady liked what repairs you had done to her home and maybe even liked where they had moved it too. Stranger things have happened.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: