You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Old Man In Dutton Park Cemetery

Real Ghost Stories

Old Man In Dutton Park Cemetery

 

In my early 20's I used to visit cemeteries. I realize now that I was developing my understanding of the world - not just the physical world but the world of spirit, energy and emotion. I've always been sensitive to these things.

I would visit South Brisbane Cemetery (aka Dutton Park). This old cemetery was established in 1866 and it's the second largest cemetery in the state. There are 100, 000 people buried there and historically, it's fascinating. It contains all levels of society from prominent people to prisoners executed on the gallows of Boggo Road Gaol. The older section of the cemetery always attracted me because the headstones are works of art. The ornate graves of the wealthy sit up high on the hill and overlook the river. I've always loved the use of symbolism on the older graves.

One Sunday afternoon I went to Dutton Park Cemetery with a friend. As usual the cemetery was deserted. My friend had wandered about 100 metres away and I was walking along a row of seemingly similar graves until one drew my attention. This old grave was from the early 1900's and physically didn't look any different from the others. It had a tall rounded headstone with a rusted steel fence surrounding it and a small gate, slightly open. The difference with this grave was it had an energy. I knew rooms and houses gave off certain energy. I've walked past chairs and other objects that hold energy, but never a grave. When I feel energy it's coarse and static before it becomes more defined. Like a radio that's out of tune and if you wait, you tune in and get an impression. It touches you - but not physically.

Standing in front of this old grave it became apparent to me that something was standing there. It was very still. In my mind I could see an outline of a person standing there. This invisible being was watching me sidelong. He didn't want to be seen.

The grave was neglected and crumbling. Anyone who cared about its occupant was long dead. I thought it was sad to think that the person standing there might think that nobody cared. The small gate surrounding the grave was partially open and not thinking I wouldn't cause offence, I pushed the little rusty gate shut.

Immediately I heard a stern male voice growl "Don't touch the gate!" The voice came from the grave. Clear as a bell. I was startled. Someone very present was there. I reopened the gate to its original width. In my mind's eye I could see an old man huffing and puffing and shaking his head at my impertinence in touching the gate a second time. I retreated back to the relative safety of the main pathway. I turned to look back. He was still standing there on the grave. 'Grumpy old beggar' I snorted indignantly before retreating down the hill.

This was just a man without a physical form. For whatever reason he was there - he did not want to engage with the living. That experience taught me to trust my instinct. That if I feel something's there - then it's there. I also learned not to touch other people's stuff!

Seriously though, cemeteries are not good places to be. I avoid them these days.

I think about that old man though. It is sad to think that this very conscious soul has been standing there for the past 100 years - just standing on his grave.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jadania, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kamcho (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-03-05)
Hi I enjoyed reading about your experience very much. In 1994 I would take a shortcut through this cemetery almost daily for a year to catch the ferry to UQ where I studied. The place always felt peaceful and serene early in the mornings. On my way back home I would walk through there again but only if it was still daylight. I have never felt anything unusual there except one time at dusk as I was walking up towards the main gate past a chapel, I saw an old car drive slowly inside the cemetery. As it came closer to me I saw a lady with a strange face that I can only describe as twisted. She looked at me and called out 'hey baby, do you want to fck?' I remember telling her 'no i'm allright' and promptly got out of there. I don't think she was a ghost but I cannot be sure.
osnapitsDebra (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-07)
That is sad that the old man was standing on his grave even if he was dead for 100 years. Hes probably angry that hes still there near his grave protecting it 100 years later and your alive living your life😉

-Debra ❤
ghostbeliver (7 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-10-27)
this story gives me chills,, I love to read these stories but I donn't know how I will react when I'm gona see them maself...aaaaggghh
MattHoskins (1 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-10-26)
So is he watching his grave or someone he loved's grave...? I like the story it is very interesting
Lila091 (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-10-25)
At least by touching the gate you gave the guy something to do:) must get boring standing there for a 100 years:P Great story though, I've always held a fascinastion for graveyards and cemeteries, the headstones and epitaphs of the really old graves are spectacular.
Gantar180 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-23)
Just by the story, I feel sorrow for the old man... Thanks for sharing this
Jadania (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-10-22)
Yes, Toowong Cemetery gives me the creeps when I drive past. It seems to be very active. I've always been tempted to have a look at that impressive family tomb right on top of the hill but can't bring myself to walk in that far into the cemetery. It's not a good place.
DCinAZ (guest)
+1
14 years ago (2010-10-22)
I like this story mainly for what you took away from it, but also the picture of this old man that you've conjured up in my head as he stands his vigil in spite time and season. Is it his resting place? Is he waiting for someone? Maybe standing guard? So many possibilities...hmmm. Sweet and sad. Thanks for sharing this one. It makes me smile. 😊 ❤
AussieRedDog (25 stories) (82 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-10-22)
I had an experience almost like it when I visited Toowong boneyard a couple of years back. Dutton Park got a weird repuation to it, like Toowong, full of dark secrets and a mysterious history... You got a fine eye for details
jazzeyjay (3 stories) (215 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-10-22)
Yes, this story is sad. He was probably an unhappy man in life and still unhappy in death. I used to like walking through the cemetery reading all of the grave stones, names, dates of birth and death. It seemed to be a calm, peaceful place with a spooky underlining.

I'm glad you left when you did before anything could attach itself to you.

Thank you for your story.
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-10-22)
Yes. We all have to learn not to touch other peoples stuff. When I went to England and was visiting one of the churches that had the tombs sealed into the floor, I refused to step on them. I just felt like it was so rude. Or when I would be a guest in a hotel that harbored a ghost it was always polite to ask permission before touching their stuff. I don't know I just consider it the proper manners whether the other party is dead or alive
rath9375 (1 stories) (52 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-10-22)
Thank you for posting this story. It reminds me of the cemetary whe most of my family is laid to rest. Ther is a similar grave there with a gate around it too.
Melime (10 stories) (64 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-10-22)
I love this story too, it's not often you hear about people actually hearing the voice of the dead. I feel sorry for the man though, standing 100 years on his own grave 😢
snowhite (203 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-10-22)
I love this story very much. Dead people do talk! I like to see grave stones too, but never as luck as you who did hear the old man's voice. It is a very interesting and wonderful story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: