You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: House Haunted... But Not For Long

Real Ghost Stories

House Haunted... But Not For Long

 

When I was young, I had a lot of paranormal and spiritual experiences. Because of my upbringing, which was very strictly Conservative Christian, I became an unusually fearful child. What this ended up meaning for me was that eventually, when I was seventeen years old, I made a conscious decision to "close" myself off to the spiritual world as much as possible. It had gotten to a point that I just couldn't handle it anymore. The fears were overwhelming, and I didn't want to live my life in fear. So I chose not to be afraid, and I chose to ignore any spiritual activity that took place around me.

It was not easy at first, but by the time I was about twenty, I had gotten to a place where spiritual and paranormal things really did not bother me anymore. Furthermore, I ignored them to the extent that they may as well not exist. Now, I have never been able to fully close myself off from the knowledge of such things happening around me. But my perspectives on much of it has changed, particularly that if something ghostly does occur, I don't find it noteworthy or bothersome.

There has been a somewhat unintended effect to this approach (though I am perfectly fine with this result). I seem to have become a sort of ghost-repellent. That is to say, often when I go to places that are haunted or reported to be haunted, I rarely ever sense any activity there. What's more, the people with me, even those who are incredibly spiritually sensitive, rarely sense any activity either. Basically, where ever I am seems to pretty quickly quell spiritual and ghostly activity. This makes sense to me mainly because I guess most ghosts and other spirits aren't going to want to bother with someone who isn't going to bother with them.

So to set the scene - the last time I have been in a place that is truly haunted to the extent that I can both sense it being haunted, and my presence does not silence ghostly activity almost immediately, I was not long out of college (I graduated in 2005). So it has been about five and a half years. There was a house near where I lived that I loved the look of. I don't feel comfortable giving out specific locations, as this is all surrounding where I still live. But it was a gorgeous little house that was brick and stone with ivy out front. I had recently moved into another house when I first saw it, and I noticed there was a for sale sign out front. I had a few moments of really wanting to buy that house... But I am a renter. Owning a house is just too much for me at this stage of my life. So for the next two years, every time I passed that other house, I felt a small pang of regret that I couldn't live there.

This house was vacant at the time. I have no idea how long it had been vacant before I moved in, but it continued to be vacant for the next two years. Then, one day, I saw that there was a "For Rent," sign added to the front lawn. This came at a time when the lease on where I was living was about to run out. So I gave the owners a call and arranged to see the house. When I toured the house, I just fell more in love with it. Then, by some strange coincidence, I found my name in the house. That is to say, there was an unopened package of curtains in the kitchen in a cupboard. They were one of those styles that come with a name printed on the package to identify the style. It was my name. Cheesy, I know, but to me it only confirmed that this house was meant for me. So I moved in toward the end of October of this year. Now, honestly, I had had some strange vibes from this house before. Nothing menacing or evil or anything like that - just the sort of feeling that it was not as vacant as it appeared. Perhaps a bit creepy, because isn't it usually creepy when you feel something there that can't be seen?

The day that we began moving in was what really confirmed it for me. My roommate and I were back and forth that day, all day, and moving stuff from one house to the other. And ALL DAY LONG I kept on constantly hearing someone call my name. It sounded like someone from the other room trying to get my attention. So I would say, "What?" and go look for my roommate - assuming she had called me. When I did, she'd swear she didn't say a word. After it happened a couple of times when I knew for certain that she wasn't even in the house, I twigged to what was happening. So I stopped responding. Something else that happened several times that day - The back door kept opening and closing all by itself. My roommate did not believe me until she saw that for herself, and then she got seriously freaked out. At that point, I started to feel very uncomfortable as well; but I may have just been reacting to her feelings. I felt a little disappointed, because the house was just so perfect... And then it ended up being haunted. But right then and there I decided, so what? This was my house now, I knew I was meant for it, and I wasn't going to let anything get me down.

After I stopped responding to the voice that was calling me, it had quit pretty quickly. The back door opening and closing automatically was ridiculously annoying, though. So I waited for my roommate to run back over to the old house to get another load of stuff, and I said out loud something along the lines of, "Hey, you can't be opening and closing exterior doors like that. I have pets, and leaving a door open could let them get outside. That is not cool, and I won't tolerate it. I'm fine with interior doors being messed with, but a door to the outside absolutely has to stay closed." And... Shockingly, it stopped doing it that same day. I have not had any problems with interior doors opening and closing, either.

Since the day I started moving in, there have been a few incidents. Nothing major has happened, though, and everything that has happened with one exception can be explained by natural means. For example, it is an old house - so creaks and groans are to be expected. The one exception was that there was this one time that I was leaving for work, and a baking pan flew off the stove and across the room right in front of me. It didn't seem like it was being thrown at me, but rather in front of me, as if to bar my exit.

I have not made any effort to research the history of the house or to communicate with whatever may be there. Nor do I have any intention of doing so. My natural ghost-repellentness seems to have kicked in pretty quickly. I have lived there just over a month now, and all has been quiet aside from the baking pan incident, which happened two weeks ago. I am not sure if me living there has actually driven out what may have been there before or if it has only encouraged it to be quiet and to rest. I tend to lean toward the latter, since I have made no effort to drive it out.

I realize this story is boring compared with what some others have posted - but I figured I would give it a shot anyways. It has been quite a long time since I have experienced this level of presence in a place where I live. And, as I said, it is pretty much dormant now.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MoonlightHunter, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Ms-Foresight (11 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-24)
Looks like the ghosts like you if they don't want you to leave and if they listen to you.

Grace 😆
Walter_R (1 stories) (81 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-26)
I didn't find your story boring either.

If it were me I would just tell the ghost or ghosts to leave in Jesus's name. If they came back I would say it again but louder. I would put crosses on the walls in every room and even on the front and back door too. Then I would say to Jesus to put a crown of thorns around the land and around the house.

Then I would live in peace and quit, for sure, with out ghost or demons. Like I'm doing now.

Take care,

Walter 😁
MoonlightHunter (1 stories) (11 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2010-12-04)
Yeah, that would be freakin' awesome if random piles of money just started showing up. I would not at all mind a ghost who paid rent.
robertar (223 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-04)
Non rent paying spirits do not have resident's rights. By "making a deal" with them, you give them implicit invitation. You have every right to tell them to stay out.
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-02)
Hi MoonlightHunter, Your story is not boring at all, I liked it. Another thing actually I came across someone just like me with the ignoring and switching yourself of for ghosts. I did it also because I was tired of sleeping with the light on and to roll myself into a blanket at night so that just my eyes is visible-afraid that something will touch my feet or something, and then try to sleep peeping through one eye just for in case...
I don't have a problem if I see a ghost in some sort of distance from me, but some of them freak me out when you feel the presence and you know it's in your room next to your bed. I hate it when they sneak up to you.
It's been a long time since I saw a ghost but I still feel and hear them but that's ok with me. Sometimes I wish I can see one again but in a distance from me not when I wake up with it at my bedside.
Thanks for your story I think you will have many happy days, maybe years in that house. Keep us posted if it continuous we would like to hear it. Take care. Trix ❤
MoonlightHunter (1 stories) (11 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-02)
Thanks for the comments.

Troyarn - There are a lot of things that happen in day to day life that are purely coincidence, but sometimes we choose to make something of them. I chose to take my name being found in the house as a sign to "go for it!" and go ahead and move at this time. Was it mystical in any way? Probably not, but I have ascribed the meaning to it that I needed.

To the other comments about opening myself up. Yeah, I know. Trust me. My entire childhood was bombarded by my parents telling me what to do or not do to prevent opening myself up to things. But to be honest, I'm not all that worried about it one way or the other. I got to the point eventually where I combated the fear itself - not the events causing the fear. That was what I viewed as the real problem.

My view on ghosts and spirits has been shaped by how I eventually chose to deal with spiritual influences in my life. I feel like my parents are too obsessed with ascribing spiritual causes to everything. My approach is to deal with what you can see and what you can control. While some won't feel comfortable with this, because they will be concerned about the spiritual influencing the physical world... The fact is, the physical world influences the spiritual as well. I don't think it matters a whole lot if you approach a problem from a physical mindset or a spiritual one - they are just two sides to dealing with the same problem. What you do on one side will clear up and help the other as well.

And anyways, very seldom have I ever heard of or seen a ghost or spirit do actual, real harm to a person. I am not saying that it can't happen or that it doesn't happen. But the reality is, in our part of the world in our day and age, very rarely do people suffer physical casualties from spiritual attacks. The worst outcome that I see most of the time is people getting frightened to the point that they live in fear - which is why my approach focuses on dealing with the fear first. If at some point in time I come across a threat that can hurt me for real, I'll deal with it as it comes. Until then, I'm really not worried about it.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-01)
I do admire your courage and strength to deal with these occurences it can be very unnerving. Jzinck made a comment about opening yourself up more to the spiritual world which obviously is not what you intend to do, but you need to be wary of this. I am surprised it has not put more of an effort to get your attention let's hope it stays that way yeh!

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-01)
Far from boring, this story is really good. Although you think the box of curtains with your name on them seemed "cheezy", I have to wonder if it wasn't some weird sign since you had been wanting to live in that house for some time. It's a strange story all around, but it seems you have the knack for putting ghosts to sleep (or at least to ease). Thanks for posting this... Great read!
jzinck (4 stories) (54 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-01)
deffinitly not boring. Just be careful the mind is a powerful thing, and by comming onto here and reading peoples stories and reading comments back, you may open yourself up to the paranormal more, sort of like the Skellaton Key haha just maybe not to that extent... Great reading though thanks for sharing
konkboy (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-30)
I agree with Scooby, this is a fascinating story and I applaud you that you made your mind up not to be frightened.
Scooby (20 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-30)
Not boring by any means. Thank you for sharing. I feel as though I am some type of repellent as well but I am interested in the paranormal. I have learned just enough not to wish anything would happen to me just so I could have an "experience"... Besides, after reading some of these stories...I'm good! I am perfectly fine reading and learning about such things. No need to experience it personally! Thanks again for your story. I hope everything works out well for you. 😊 Best wishes!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: