You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: My Eerie Childhood

Real Ghost Stories

My Eerie Childhood

 

Hello, this is my second story that I'm posting, but this time it pertains to me.

As a child, I was born and raised in California. Since then we kept moving around the state and eventually to Pennsylvania to live closer to my father's family in New Jersey. When I was only an infant, we had a house built for a family of 5. Let me tell you about the surrounding areas first. That was the creepiest part. The house was built on a 'horseshoe' section (as the address stated) and was very very quiet. There were houses all around this horseshoe, and we were on the very end of it. Our neighbors were either elderly, had summer homes surrounding, or in general people that weren't outside very much. It was dead quiet, even when we lived right next to a "main" road. A lot of really big, rich-looking houses were farther away from us, and we lived on a visible plateau, you had to go up a large sloped hill/mountain to get to the house.

The house was built in the middle of the woods, and we had a very, very long driveway leading to our house. We had a large backyard with all woods and only one house, (our neighbor) surrounding it. It would be a pretty ideal, quiet place for a new family, right? Wrong.

Ever since I was little, I used to see things in this house. We had an open loft you could see from the livingroom if you looked up, and I often saw shadows upstairs. Our animals, (and we had many) would stare at the loft and the stairs next to the living room for hours. They seemed very timid sometimes. Our rooms were of course upstairs, my brother's, sister's, and mine. We changed rooms a lot, but when it was my turn to get the loft, I wasn't happy. In the middle of the night one time, my canopy bed shook violently and I heard something whispering my name. I was so scared I jumped out of bed, ran down the stairs, and slept with my mother the rest of the night in her room. That was the most vivid thing I could remember.

We had a bathroom door upstairs next to the loft that used to slam shut REALLY hard, so hard you could hear it echo throughout the house. No windows were ever open when this happened, so I usually tried to keep that door closed. When it was closed, the door opened. This constant activity kept me very paranoid when I was little so it made me sleep with the TV and my light on. When my mother wanted to try to turn it off to save electricity, she assured me she'd be right downstairs if anything happened. A few minutes later of trying to go to sleep, I heard something to the equivalent of chains and voices right outside of my door. This was when I switched bedrooms with my siblings. This one was notorious for hearing activity the most, (I'll explain later).

Every time you simply looked at that house, or were near it, you felt uneasy. Something was always off about it. When I grew up and my mother got divorced, we moved away from that house. That's when she told me that she used to hear music playing upstairs, (when the loft was a computer room), and found no source. She unplugged everything, there were no neighbors playing it, and it was very loud. It used to spook her out. My brother also said that the room I was hearing voices in was the one that made him creeped out. When he had it as a room, (that room is right next to the stairs), he used to hear foot steps loud as day when he was trying to sleep. When that room became my sister's room and I visited her, sleeping on the floor I would hear it, and see a shadow underneath the door. Quite frankly, this house scared everyone in the house to death.

My mother didn't ever want to tell me, but we figured out that it was built on an Indian burial ground, which explains why we would get so much activity. Although some activity has calmed down, I still see and hear things there. I hated that house so much, and it never felt like a friendly spirit at all, but just in the shadows watching all of us cycle through our lives and see people come and go.

And that's my first story about my experiences.

Other hauntings by Ikatsu

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Ikatsu, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

kristylynne415 (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-01)
Good encounter I don't want to call it a story it's actually your life not just a story...it's very interesting and it really makes you wonder with all the history at a certain location or on a piece of land how many spirits actually dwell there... Love it ❤
ams112700 (27 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-03)
Wow great storie, but did you and your mom move somewhere else or no? I mean when you were older and after the divorce. ❤
BlackenedAngel (8 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-28)
a flowing water may cause eerie feelings in an area. If not electricity & your mind play a vital role in the eerie sensation. 😐
Ikatsu (3 stories) (24 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-07)
Whitebuffalo, to answer your question--the woods are right up against my house aside from my back yard that was cleared for a lawn. A lot of woods still remain where we are, all around us, the house and drive way included. A lot of houses I've lived in were like that, woods untouched. About the grounds, I still have to ask. ><; I'm not so sure about what type of grounds they are. Water-wise... Hm... There's not much of a water source. I mean we're not far away from one, but it's not on the property of my house or around it as much. As I said, we live ontop of a really big mountain. A lot of these mountains can be used for rock climbing and a lot of the natural area around it is untouched. It's very beautiful.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-06)
Thank you, Ikatsu. I appreciate that. It is not very clear, here lately, WHERE one can have a HEALTHY (😉) discussion.
Just how close are we talking the woods are?
What KIND of burial ground (No, do not ANYONE go there... I meant as in Legal burial? Or dumping burial)?
Is there a body of water in those woods?
Thank you.
Ikatsu (3 stories) (24 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-06)
-- Also, I heavily believe Pennsylvania is one of the more 'haunted' states. So much history has gone on here. So many deaths. I would also give out the full location of the house so people could understand where it was, but the rules entail it would be wise not to. 😉

And whitebuffalo and others, you weren't disturbing my page. I always like learning something new and enjoy reading discussions--healthy ones of course.
Ikatsu (3 stories) (24 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-06)
Thank you for the input, everyone. I'm just getting to reading your comments.

I'm sorry for not being clear. I forgot how my mother figured this bit of information out--I should ask her now that it was brought up.

At first we simply thought a murder was committed near that wooded area, and it wasn't just speculation--there were rumors of that. But my mother then later told me it was a burial ground. I don't think every house built on one is haunted, but because of this strange activity so frequent and angry, and that we were the only owners of the house and still are, I believe it's very likely that we could have disturbed the grounds and upset whatever spirits were there.

It's the only explanation I have at this point, and I will do more research. I no longer live in the house--my dad does, and has always ignored the activity, it's also easier for him because he lives downstairs. Not upstairs. He doesn't believe in the paranormal. An offering, as one of you pointed out, would actually be a good idea if my (previous) house is on one. I also don't know is this will matter--but I actually enjoy the native american culture. I used to have so many indian antiques my mom bought for me in the room, and dream catchers, and a lot of glass wolves, (because that's my favorite animal). Still, who knows? It would be interesting to find out.
huendchen (49 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-05)
Ah, the ubiquitous indian burial ground. I did believe your story, just not sure about that part.
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-05)
I am not disputing the mind set. At ALL, Silene02. In fact, you lend credibility to what I have posted. Thank you.
If you were to look through those sites that I posted for Ikatsu, you will see that not only is it posted: "Note that in many cultures, disturbing the graves is regarded as dangerous." And also: "Burial sites are often connected with Ancient Elder Evil, and, in the USA, unless your definition of 'ancient' is pretty flexible, that means Native Americans. Some tribes didn't give their burial grounds signs that they were graveyards, such as tombstones, memorials or rolling clouds of Ominous Fog. Native Americans are generally assumed to be more magical, and hence will have niftier ghosts..."
Perhaps you should reread my comment. I said "...does not make it any MORE haunted". Who is to say what "normal haunting" on ANY burial ground is supposed to be?
WHY would the fact that it was Native make it more prone to Paranormal activity? Is it because they are supposed to be more Spiritual? There are LOTS of Christian cemeteries whose inhabitants were just as Spiritual than they.
IS it the "magic" that superstitiously surrounds the Native People as a whole? I am not being sarcastic, I am asking for your honest opinions.
Thank you.

Please excuse the interruption to your page, Ikatsu.
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-05)
zzsgranny:

I just wanted to say that my father has poured many many concrete foundations for houses in California, and there are A LOT of Native American burial grounds that modern houses are built upon! He told me about gently putting the bones back in the soil when they would get disturbed by a back-hoe digging them up, and a Native American would later bless the land. When land developers are paying 150,000+ for a small parcel of land, they don't let old bones get in the way. Although to be fair Poltergeist took the burial ground thing to the extreme. Not every house on a burial ground is haunted, but it is possible to increase the odds if remains are disturbed in some way or disrespected.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2010-12-05)
Yeah, since the movie "Poltergiest", every haunted house seems to be built on an Indian burial ground... I don't think even before the invasion of the white man that the Indian population could be so vast as to have buried their dead on every square foot of ground in this country 😆!

Other than that, this is a good account... Thank you for posting 😊
Silene02 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-04)
I don't agree with your opinion sorry, what I know is that indian ancestors want their burial places left alone, the were considered sacred and the spirits of the people buried tehre could get angry by the intrution. I say this because I have indian ancestors myself.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-04)
It is MY opinion (which seems to be supported by NUMEROUS sources) that just because a place is built ON, or around an Ancient Burial Ground DOES NOT make it any MORE haunted that that of a "ordinary" cemetery. PLEASE read through the sites linked to my comment.
Built in the shape of a Horseshoe, eh? The Horseshoe is a sign of Luck, and Prosperity.
You FIGURED it was built "...on an Indian burial ground"? Did you ever look into it and see if that was Truth?
Http://www.profilingtheunexplained.com/ghosts_and_hauntings/shadow_ghosts.html
Http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IndianBurialGround

Thank you.
Silene02 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-04)
Weird! The first thing I thought was "this house must have been built up on an indian cemetery"...and then at the end of the story you write that you believe that the house was built on an indian cemetery! For sure it is. You could try making an offering to the spirits that live there just to make peace with them. Try to make an offering and tell them you don't know the story of the place and they can't blame you people for building a house in a place with a history you were'nt aware of.
DarkMan (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-02)
I think the title of suits the story itself very well... Eerie for sure!
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-01)
Wow Very interest, Sound like ya'll had a Very Scary Life in that House.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: