You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Strange Childhood Experiences

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Childhood Experiences

 

I've been a bit nervous with telling my own weird experiences but I thought it was about time I should. I only have had a couple of strange things happen in my life but they have stuck with me cause of how freaky they were.

My first experience occurred when I was around three years old. As with being that young I don't remember much from that time; except for one vivid memory...

My family had not long ago moved into a rental property in the suburbs of Melbourne. It was a nice enough house, small but cosy, perfect for a young family. One day during winter when darkness came early I was sitting on the couch in the living room watching some television, when suddenly I felt the hairs on the back of my neck rise, I felt like I was being watched. I looked around the room in confusion. Everything was normal. I heard my parents cooking dinner in the kitchen and my older sister was playing on the ground nearby. My instincts told me to turn and look out the window. Surprisingly the curtains were opened even though it was pitch black outside and Mum always closed them when the sun went down. Through the glass I could see the whole darkened front yard. A shiver ran down my spine as I searched the area cause somehow I knew there was something out there. I froze in fear when I spotted a tall dark figure lurking under the large tree that stood in the middle of the lawn. This thing looked humanoid, but I couldn't see any detail. It was just jet black, like my eyes couldn't quite focus on it when I looked right at it. I couldn't see its face, but I somehow knew it was looking right at me. I had the feeling that whatever this was, it didn't have good intentions. All I remember is thinking 'BAD' when I saw it. What was even stranger was that the pale glow from the street lights left the yard in shadow but the dark figure cast no shadow. It felt like forever but was probably only a few minutes that I stood terrified staring at this thing. My heart was thundering in my chest but then suddenly I was snapped from its trance by the sound of my Mum's voice calling us to dinner. Blinking blearily I glanced over my shoulder to where my Mum was setting the plates on the table. What really scared me though is that when I looked back outside the figure was gone, like it was never there.

This other experience isn't scary, it's just weird. I was 5 years old when this happened. My family had recently moved into our new permanent home. At that time my older sister (who was six at the time) and I slept in bunk beds which every now and then we would swap beds; so this night I was in the top bunk while my sister was on the bottom bed. It was the middle of the night and something woke me up. Half asleep I peered over the side of my bed. At first there was nothing but then I heard some rustling coming from the closet across from me. This sound had also woken up my sister and therefore we both witnessed what happened next. A small black bird shot from the closet and darted under the beds. Freaked out I asked my sister if she just saw what I did which she then confirmed that she had with a nervous whisper. We then agreed to call out for our Mum. After a short time my Mum came into our room asking what was wrong. When we explained what had just occurred she bent down and searched under the bunk beds. When she had finished searching all around she told us that there was nothing there... The bird had just vanished... I thought it was a dream until I asked if my Sister or Mum remembered it. They both said they did... Freaky.

...

Extra weird stuff...

Strange Childhood Experiences

Recently I was looking through old pictures and found one that shocked me. It's of my older sister, younger brother and I at my grandparents holiday house on the coast of Victoria. It was taken on Easter day in 2007 where we are trying out our chocolates that the Easter bunny had delivered. My Mum says that for some reason all the pictures from that roll of film came out damaged. This is one of them and I'm sure I see a black shadow standing behind the curtain in the closet in the background. I thought it was a jacket at first but the clothes hangers are much higher as you can see the empty one to the left. This closet is always empty anyway as it's never used. It's strange cause we have never had anything happen in this house that I know of. It was built by my grandparents in the 80s and has been used by my whole family as a get away. It's in a quiet area near a beach and surrounded by wildlife. It always freaked me out how silent and dark it was there at night but that's only due to the fact that I'm used to living on a busy road in the suburbs of Melbourne. I included the photo and I've blurred out our faces for privacy and circled the shadow. Any suggestions on what it could be would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by SammyToucan-

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SammyToucan-, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

CrimsonTopaz (1 stories) (238 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-05-22)
SammyToucan,
You have a great memory. I can remember back as far as 6. It's incredible how our minds remember things from such young years.
You definitely have part of a shadow in that photo.
SammyToucan- (4 stories) (11 posts)
+5
3 years ago (2021-05-22)
Hi Rajine!

Thanks for reading.

It couldn't have been a family member because no one close to me had died at anytime back then. So it's even stranger that something may have been there.

Yeah it is creepy but it's surprising what kids will just shrug off at that age. Now I'd totally freak out if that happened lol.
SammyToucan- (4 stories) (11 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-05-22)
Hi Aros!
Thanks for reading.

Yeah it's really scary seeing these things as a kid. All I remember is that it was tall and thin. It was off the scale creepy, still sends a shiver down my spine.

The bird thing was just strange. I never got the point of it.

I was so surprised when I saw that photo. At first I thought it was a shadow but there's nothing there to cast that kind of shadow which freaks me out a bit. I really don't want anything like that near me again.
Rajine (14 stories) (740 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2021-05-21)
Hi SammyToucan

The image in the picture does look like a human figure, I'd guess it could be a family member that passed on? Probably wanting to spend Easter with everyone.

The incident with the shadow figure really creeps me out because I have experienced something similar to that myself just reading it brings back memories.
Aros (6 stories) (57 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2021-05-21)
Thanks for sharing! Some nice accounts here. I couldn't help but notice the parallels between your experience at 3 and mine as I too had a similar experience around that time. My shadow person was giant, built like an ape or bigfoot (no neck) and while I couldn't make out any facial features I knew without any doubt it was looking right at me from down the hallway into my bedroom. Scared the heck out of me! It wasn't a dream because I was wide awake.

The small bird experience you would normally chalk up as a dream or hypnogogic episode (visual hallucination in the half awake/half asleep state) but the fact it was a shared experience with your sister in very peculiar.

Very compelling photo. It indeed looks like the outline of a human body, very typical of a shadow person. The red shaft of light is also intriguing as I've seen various light anomalies like that in other "ghost photos" I believe are authentic. It's like some energy transference that becomes visible through a camera.

Thanks for sharing!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: