You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Few Minor Experiences In My Old Job

Real Ghost Stories

A Few Minor Experiences In My Old Job

 

This is my last but 1 posting and all of the experiences I had in my old job working for a well known UK car park company.

Here in Leicester while I was working for the company there was 7 different car parks and I worked on them all at some time or other during my 10 years within the company so I have 7 small stories all rolled in to one.

The first experience I had was not long after I started at the company and I was working on the lee circle car park, I had heard the sad story of a woman who over the Christmas period 5 years before had gotten so depressed over the breakup of her relationship that she somehow managed to get onto the car park after it had been closed down for the Christmas break, sat in one of the corridors and drank a whole bottle of gin and then went to the roof and jumped.

One night while locking up the car park I walked down the corridor to lock the entrance doors after doing this I turned walked back up the corridor and was "hit" by the strongest smell of perfume I have ever smelt, it only lasted for about 20 to 30 seconds then was gone. Now I had smelt nothing on the way down the corridor and no one passed by me.

Just then I heard someone walking up the stairs so I followed the sound only to find myself on the roof and alone.

The next day I mentioned the smell to my supervisor who told me that it happened every year, same day, same time, same smell! Then he asked me if I followed the "person" going up stairs too? Replying yes he laughed and told me that he had done exactly the same thing when he started 4 years before.

The second experience/car park was known by the staff as the graveyard, nothing to do with a graveyard but it was "dead" compared to the others and if you were given the Saturday night into Sunday shift then you had done something wrong. Was an awful boring long shift and no one liked doing that one.

Well one week I got the shift (no idea what I did wrong though) so I turned up at 8 pm for a long 12 hour shift. Back then it was one man in a tiny port cabin with little windows that open both sides to take customers payment and to give out entry tickets. I knew that the windows might not open at all that night.

The enter door to the cabin was behind me and was half plastic on the top (was glass but had been replaced for safety reasons) now was not allowed a TV, and portable DVDs were a long way off so it was a radio with bad reception or a long book!

Halfway through the night I had to stretch my legs and got out of the cabin as I did I saw a shadow move behind one of the support posts at the top of the level, so I went to look but there was nothing there guessing I was sleepy I went to get myself a strong coffee.

As I walked back to the cabin I again saw a shadow duck behind another nearer support.

Again on checking nothing there.

I went back into the cabin, turned the chair round so I was looking out of the door and during the next 2 hours I saw the shadow get closer and closer very slowly from support to support (10 between me and the next level) but the time it got to the last one by the cabin I had had enough and ran out to see what I could find! Again nothing! It was driving me crazy and I shouted for it to "come out and stop hiding" I saw it once more back at the first support again then it was gone. I never did that shift again!.

3rd car park~ this car park was a busy 24 hour one and I loved it. Except at 4am.

Every single night at exactly 4am 2 women's voices would be heard coming down from the roof to the exit but no one ever showed up. Now this was a 2 man car park so we could have one person patrolling the car park while one stayed on the exit. The one who stayed on the exit never heard a thing but if out on patrol it always sounded like these women were either on the floor right above you or if you were on the roof then on the floor under you.

Now you might think ok sound carries that time of night easy but from the roof you could see all the streets around the car park and the voices were heard even on Sundays when the whole area was empty, not a living person around.

4th experience/car park was on a car park right on the city center edge and sadly a hang out for drug users, drunks and the homeless. No matter how many times we patrolled we always found some kind of sign that we had just missed one of them, empty bottles, burnt foil or bottles that had been refilled (won't say with what though)

Now this car park was a jumper's favorite. There was at least one every few months no matter what the company tried these people found a way around the security and carried out their plans.

With this car park it was the lifts, no matter how we turned them off they would still run from time to time. When we shut them down (with keys) they would automatically go to the ground floor and the doors would stay closed. Now as you know lifts have annoying voices that tell you the floor you're on when the doors open and close plus going up or down. This would echo up the stairs all the way to the roof (12 flights of stairs) even when the car park was locked up the lifts would run but them selves we could hear the doors close (never open though) and the voice say "ground floor going up", then a few moments later "level eleven doors closing" and then a few faint steps and then nothing.

I sat at the top of them stairs on night for 5 hours waiting for that lift to arrive, nothing! The moment I walked down to around level 5 I heard "ground floor going up" I did not wait to find out if it made it to level eleven.

5th car park was the stairs and footsteps running up and down sometimes even during the day it sounded like someone wearing loose shoes or flip flops slapping up and down the stairs. And a voice would be heard from time to time but I could never make out what was being said but it was always right behind me like a whisper as though someone wanted to get passed me. It would always make me jump and turn around quickly, made me slip down a step a few times too I always held on to the banisters just in case.

The 6th and 7th car parks were both sightings; the first was a woman who would be seen going from one floor to the next walking up the down ramp then she would be gone, from the floor I would see her walk up there were openings to see through to the next level up so I would have seen her legs at least.

A few customers had reported almost hitting a woman walking up the down ramps on the same floor just as they turned onto the ramp causing them to break sharply. But they said she walked away with out even looking at them but each one described the exact same woman I would see.

Tall slim blonde lady wearing a summer dress, even in winter the same woman.

The final one was shadow people. Some times 2 or 3 but always around midnight and again on the stairs and always just above me as I was going up the stairs (never down) the stairs had strip lights along the walls and people would cast light shadows across the walls as they went up or down but these were dark shadows that did not follow the right path of the lights and looked slightly darker the closer to the lights they got, normal shadows slowly fade away the closer to the lights they got but not these ones and the lights would flicker as they passed by too, no matter how quickly I went up the stairs they would always be just in front of me. I must say (before the demon comments) I never "felt" anything from these shadows it just annoyed me that I could never catch up with them.

And that's it! I can't say that others ever saw these things except the first one, it was like a newbie ritual getting them to do the lock up around Christmas time but sadly even that stopped just before I left as the car parks all went automated and 24 hour opening, the perfume one stayed open until Christmas eve so nothing could ever be totally put down to the ladies Christmas visit. Too many people using it to notice the smell or sounds and be 100% certain it was her.

I did get the chance once though had just been made night supervisor and an old family friend got a job working with me I made sure that he locked the corridors that special night, he smelt the perfume, mentioned how strong it was and just as we heard the person walking up the steps he started to sneeze loudly which echoed in the closed corridor, had a bad reaction to the perfume smell so we never bothered to follow the sound, was most put out!

Sorry so long but oh well, you made it to the end finally.

Other hauntings by taz890

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, taz890, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

leicghostquest (2 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-03-16)
hi Bibliothecarius thanks for that I did check and no one has never heard of him but still checking still know a lot of staff from that time but I can back up the storys as I did most night time work the one with lift in I used sit up there for hours and heared things and the smell too as security I was on my own a lot
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-01-22)
Greetings, leicghostquest.

Taz890 hasn't been active on YGS since May, 2012. Taz's profile page, however, has a name that you may be able to check against the employee records; just click on Taz's screen-name to go to the page you need.

(As I'm typing this, I'm mentally travelling the Uppingham Road --decades ago-- heading towards my old house in Humberstone...)

Best,
Biblio.
leicghostquest (2 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-01-21)
is taz890 still posting on here as I worked on all the carparks as security thanks
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-23)
DARKNESS totally agree! As bad as neighbours cutain twitching! Lol should have said "want to know something? Then show your self and ask me!"
Doubt if this would work by who knows lol
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-23)
Taz, haha nosey spirits who do they think they are sometimes eh lol!😆 It is a common thing that they do isn't it? The old peek around the door frame at you or in your case around the post. Thanks again mate! 😁

Dan
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-22)
[at] DARKNESS your never late getting to my posts mate just behind the others, and yes others went through the same things I did and we all had the feelings on the carparks mostly the "dont want to be here" type. A close friend of mine who also did "the graveyard" on a saturday night sat and watched the nosey shadow make its way down towards the cabbin but she said it took almost all night to get as close as it did when I saw it before I got out of the cabbin and got annoyed with it. She said it was a nosey shadow cause of the way it was looking around the post at the cabbin lol
And you got my email mate so ask whatever you like on the tarrot front will always answer (eventually)
Thanks for the comment
Carl
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-22)
Taz firstly sorry buddy I got to your story late, and secondly geez! A lot of things happening in those carparks mate, a lot of residual and intelligent by the sounds of it. The lifts are freaky I have had a lot of bad experiences with them before because of working in the city but I will tell you bout them later!
So these were pretty much confirmed by the other guys who have worked and patrolled there aswell right? Great Story mate and look forward to hearing from you soon! Gotta have a chat bout The Tarot buddy! 😁

Dan
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-22)
[at] zzsgranny firstly sorry took almost a week to get back to you busy here and no time to get on comp bad excuse I know, anyway thanks for an interesting comment. Agree the christmas one was residual right down to the time it happened it was exact.
As for the shadow trying to entertain me? Well it sadly did not work lol annoyed me that's for sure!

[at] cosmogal thank you too and I have to be honest they did keep me interested that's for sure, freeked out sometimes but still interested.
And the shadows I followed it was like no that's not right, got to check it out to make sure that was what I was seeing. Just glad I'm not a cat (curiousity kills) lol seriously though it was almost like they were happy to be followed as the were always just in sight going up.

Thanks again to you both

Carl
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-17)
Hey taz, glad to see you posted another story. 😁 Wow! Working that car park sure turned out to be something other than you expected. I was thinking the same thing as granny, at least you weren't bored for too long. They always seemed to keep you on your toes. These experiences are great, and I like the way you tried to chase the shadows instead of running in the other direction. I'm sure it wasn't the reaction "they" were looking for. LOL! I enjoyed this very much, thanks for posting it. 😊
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-17)
Taz: I guess we'll never know why ghosts hang out in the places they do... The Christmas lady is a great example of a residual, I'd say... But that creepy, sneaky shadow, that's just creepy! 😆...Maybe whoever it was knew you'd be bored and was attempting to entertain you LOL...

The parking garages here are all quite busy at all hours, so no telling if any of them are haunted though some of them should be... I think you've given me a reason to do a Google search 😆...

Great story, Taz!...Thank you for posting ❤
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2011-11-17)
nysa sadly no we tried doing evp once but just got our own footsteps and plenty of static put that down to the carpark it's self as radios in cars would do same thing. That car park is now gone, torn down for city re development so I don't know if any thing happens there now...

Moongrim totally agree with you on this one the "feelings" we would pick up in the small hours doing patrols could really mess with your mind, depending on the day, weather, time of year blah blah each place made you feel different some I hated to patrol others were like ok feel great let's hang here for a while.

Jav, sweetie knew you would be here!
And no surprise you commented even before I knew it had been added lol
Like I say I have one left in me and its an on going thing but that is to come watch this space in december! No more said on this yet so don't ask!
Thank you so so much for the comment it means a lot to know that my stories have done what I wanted, been enjoyed, scared you, made you laugh and also cry a bit too now you can say you have felt the taz experience because that is exactly how I felt going through them.
I won't be going anywere and I hope to have more experiences to share not including my final one already mentioned. And I totaly agree with your aunt this is on haunted isle sadly I'm in a new build and nothing has said hi just yet but when it does I will be straight on to my comp and telling you all lol thank you all for the comments I love getting them and knowing my stories are liked and accepted for what they are... Dam freaky!
❤ ❤ ❤ you all
Carl
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-11-17)
Taz!,
What are you mister? You're like a magnet for spirits is what I'm thinking. It's either that, or you are just more observant.
The ladies perfume would make me sneeze too, but I would still follow her footsteps up. How can you not? And excuse me, 12 hours alone in a box? I'd be out there chasing down the shadow dudes too. It would give me the chills watching as they were creeping up on me. But you had to be a sight out there hollering into the darkness!
The ladies talking at 4am is pretty cool. You just know I would have to take advantage of that knowledge and make sure I used it on a hardcore sceptic or two. (all in the name of science of course)
The lift sounds exactly right, spirits just have to play with all things electric, don't they? It is a little spooky about the blonde lady though. All alone and wandering aimlessly? Sad too.
But when you get to the end, you bring back the shadow dudes. Those guys just freak me out! Sorry, but they do. BUT, not enough to cast them as demonic!
They freak me out for the way they creep up on people and then are gone in a flash when they get noticed. Rude is what that is!
I have an aunt from the U.K., she tells me that because the country has been populated for millennia, the spirits are just everywhere. And if your home doesn't have a ghostie or two, your neighbors will wonder what you did to chase the poor souls out into the cold 😉
These were wonderful experiences you brought to share with us Carl. You can't just stop. That would just break my heart! I started off reading about Charlie (talk about tears!) and got totally involved with Mandy's house, trying to guess what would come next. I've been through them all, crying at times, and laughing my butt off at others. ESPECIALLY the ouija board experience. I crack up every time I think of that one. And sorry I got here so late, I was so busy all day that I didn't even know it was up.
I love the way you tell them Carl, don't stop now...

Jav ❤ ❤
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-11-16)
Yowsa. Definitely a few opportunities for someone with audio and video equipment.

Parking garage impersonal?

Pshaw!

There are ALWAYS someone coming and going in them, a constant flow of people and emotions. Bare walls do not make for bad memories.

I've worked a few car parks myself.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-16)
I don't suppose anyone ever caught any words in the conversation of the 2 women in the 3rd garage? It seems such an impersonal place to spend your afterlife, assuming some of them were actually disembodied souls & not just a ghostly echo.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: