You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Victorian Home

Real Ghost Stories

The Victorian Home

 

I live in a large brick victorian home that was built in the 1800s. I, and my family have had numerous occasions where unexplainable things have happened. Here are my stories.

I had been in my room all alone, I was very young at this time! I was just standing there in front of my mirror with my fan on full blast. My bed was facing me. When I turned around, a penny spun out from underneath my bed. The penny somehow flew out from underneath the bed, and then just spun in the air for a few seconds as if someone flicked it out from underneath the bed, and then it finally fell on the floor right in front of where I was.

To this day, I have no idea how that could have happened. I tried to think of every possible explanation there could be, but there just isn't one. When it first happened I never said anything about it, but it did creep me out a lot, and I also had many questions.

If someone harmless was just simply letting me know they were there, why would they be under my bed? Should I be scared? Is this a normal thing that ghosts do to get your attention? I would really like some answers.

That was my first ever creepy experience in my home, and nothing ever happened for years after that. But then my older sister finally experienced something. She had been really sick at the time. She was nauseous with a fever and headache. She was laying down in her bed in her room, which is right across from mine. There is a hallway that separates all the rooms with a large staircase. She is able to see into the bathroom when she is in her bed because it is directly out in the hallway. She had seen my mom doing her makeup in the bathroom mirror, like she always does before doing yard work outside. Then she saw her walk downstairs. She said that she could have swore that my mom had already went downstairs, so confused, she went downstairs and then outside to see my mom. She had only seen her in the bathroom 2 minutes ago, but when she saw my mom outside, my mom was drenched in sweat considering it was almost 90 degrees outside and was continuing cleaning our pool. So she then asked my mom, "weren't you just in the bathroom?" My mom had a angry response like, "does it look like I was in the bathroom?" "I'm drenched in sweat". My mom had been in the same place in my backyard for almost 3 hours, so who exactly was in the bathroom?

There was also, obviously no possible way that my mom was inside 2 minutes ago, got outside that fast, and was drenched in sweat after just being inside the house. You could definitely see the fear in my sisters face because she went completely pale. Terrified, she told my mom that she had seen an identical image of her in the bathroom. I have heard of ghosts taking the appearance of other people, so was that what happened? We both know that whoever it was, it definitely was not my mom. Apparently though, whatever or whoever it was took the appearance of my mom and I have no idea why.

So these were 2 unexplainable situations that we again, just forgot about.

Here's my 3rd experience. My mom and dad have always tended to argue a lot. That day, that's exactly what they were doing. They were in the kitchen arguing away, then suddenly, a glass plate that had been on the same shelf the entire time we've lived in the house came flying off the shelf and busted on the ground in front of my parents. It was definitely the most violent thing that had happened, which was very scary. Now there's 3 very odd things that have already happened.

A very long time after this with nothing weird happening at all, my mom told me about an experience she encountered in our living room. She said that she saw a little girl while putting up Christmas decorations. She said she was in a white dress with a ribbon in her hair, but she only saw the back of her because she had been running away. Apparently, she seemed very afraid. Now, here is the story that scares me the most.

Almost 5 years ago now, my dad suffered a massive stroke before leaving for work. He was downstairs getting ready to leave, doing his usual things such as letting our dogs out and getting his coffee. After he got out of the hospital, he told us that when he was letting the dogs out before the stroke he thought my mom was hugging him from behind. But my mom had been upstairs the entire time. When we were in the hospital they said that my dad was very healthy, and that he was almost as healthy as a 20 year old. They also couldn't find anything that could have caused his stroke. Which to me at least, was rather odd. Especially since he thought he saw my mom before his stroke happened.

I definitely feel as if their is something in my house, and I have no idea whether it's something good or bad. I never feel safe in my room at night and constantly feel like something is looking at me. I usually just brush it off thinking I'm paranoid, which I probably am. But I definitely think I have every right to be. My room lights have also always flickered, and there have been times when I hear a thump under my bed or creaking noises on my floor when nobody is in my room, and my cat is laying sound asleep on my bed. Speaking of my cat, he also always acts like he sees things. He will constantly just stare at different areas of my room, and when I look to see what he's looking at there is never anything there. On a few occasions, he has even been so intent on getting something that he has tried climbing my wall. I would really love to hear what anyone reading this thinks.

My whole family has experienced something in this house, and I will continue knowing that it IS haunted. The only history that we know about it is that a woman died from a disease, and she did die in the house. As far as that, there's nothing else I know. But these are my REAL LIFE, COMPLETELY HONEST stories.

Other hauntings by Jb66

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jb66, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Jb66 (6 stories) (5 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-05-29)
AugustaM- I would be very interested to read it, and I definitely will! Thanks for showing me!
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-05-29)
Given the lack of entertainment options during the quarantine, I've been reading back through my favorites and came across one from 2017 where the OP's family experienced pennies being thrown at them as well and thought you might be interested to see:
Https://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=24742
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-05-26)
Hi, JB.

Thanks for answering our questions clearly & thoroughly. I'm going to agree with Augusta's take on the events, here; you've got a couple of entities in the home, but they seem to have positive/good intentions.

Best,
Biblio.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2020-05-26)
Jb66,

I have to smile. My grandmother would also do gardening and light yard work, in full makeup, in her nice clothes (she didn't have clothes in any other condition) and nylons in the blazing hot sun.

I always wanted to say to my grandmother: "That makeup must be some space age material!"

I am glad that your father made a full recovery! ❤

- Maria
Jb66 (6 stories) (5 posts)
+10
4 years ago (2020-05-25)
Thank you guys for taking the time to read this and give me advice! Now to answer your questions.

Lealeigh_ Yes! I did look under the bed, there was no visible sign of anything at all.
My dad did make a full recovery, and he is perfectly healthy and happy now! 😊 Yes, my mom does put makeup on before work, she also puts on fancy clothes as well.
Bibliothecarius_ From what he described, he only "felt" her from behind. She usually hugs him from behind all the time, so that's why he believed that it was her.

Alina5- It was most definitely coming from under the bed. As if someone was knocking right beneath the bed. I have lived in the house for a long time, and I have never heard any creaking sounds on my floor before. It definitely wasn't coming from the stairs, or a door because the sound was much to close to my bed.

My dad didn't specifically "see" my mom hugging him from behind, but more "felt" her. She always hugs him from behind so that is why he believed that it was her behind him. He just felt a pressure as if arms were wrapped around him.

I appreciate your comments, and opinions on my experiences, and I hope I was able to fulfill your questions.

Sincerely,
JB
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2020-05-23)
Hi JB66 - I don't get the feeling that the entities in your home are malicious - they seem to go about their own business for the most part and their only interactions with the family seem, by my read, benign or positive; even the throwing of the plate had a positive outcome.

As for the hug and the stroke - first thing, strokes are the body's little time bombs... Yes certain factors can increase their likelihood in some patients but they can also occur seemingly out of the blue to otherwise reasonably healthy young people (my best friend in elementary school had been a promising soccer player then one day had a massive stroke - she was 8) - the way I see it, if he was leaving for work, then I assume he was standing when the event occurred - patients can often fall and cause lethal damage by striking something with their head as they do during strokes, seizures, heart attacks etc - my thought is that the spirit wrapped itself around him to prevent that from happening.

One of the things that really makes me thing "this one is positive" is the opening salvo -the penny- finding coins here and there or having them drop/materialize out of nowhere is a fairly well known paranormal event, which is typically regarded as a good message (often seen as a message of affection and care from a deceased loved one). I posted a couple of links below to articles on the subject - neither, I'm afraid, from the best of sites as I only had time for a quick google but they'll serve to give the broad strokes.

Http://blairrobertson.com/blog/pennies-from-heaven/

Https://xtremeghosthunting.com/hearing-coins-drop/
Alina5 (3 stories) (136 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-05-20)
Hello Jb66,

Based upon your narrative I solely presume that rather than a single entity there are "entities" inhabiting your household.

Likewise Lealeigh I am also curious regarding whether you checked under the bed after this penny incident.

"I hear a thump in my bed and creaking noises when nobody is in the room"

Did the thumping sound like something jumping on the bed or was it from underneath?

Since, your house dates back to the 1800s and is fairly old,
Do you believe any of the doors or the staircases creates this creaking noise?

The experience with your parents was certainly an aggressive one.

Probably any of the spirits just wanted them to stop arguing?

But my thoughts drastically changed after reading the particular incident regarding your father.

Was the apparition seen by your father similar to the one seen by your sister? A doppelganger?

I do have a curious mind regarding the child spirit as to why she was running away, was it because of your mother or something else in the house.

But without any clarification I'll certainly not be jumping into conclusions.

Awaiting your response.

Peace
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-05-20)
Very well presented. I believe you. You have had a rich history of paranormal encounters, and it seems that you are due for a lot more. I think that pressure during and before a stroke is common - even the feeling of being hugged. I hope it was not caused by a deviant entity. Of course, the entity may have been warning your Dad in its own way, and that is a comforting thought.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2020-05-20)
Greetings, Jb66, and welcome to YGS.

I read your well-paced and absorbing descriptions of the phenomena I simply felt that I believe in the sincerity of your writing. You write well & you present your experiences without trying to make them into something over-dramatic.

I'd just like to clear up just one point of your description of your father's stroke. You wrote that he "thought my mom was hugging him from behind," but later you describe that "he thought he saw my mom before his stroke happened." Did your father feel the pressure of being hugged and *presume* that it was your mother expressing affection, or did he physically see an apparition that merely *seemed* to be your mother?

Your response to this will clarify which of my trains of thought may prove to be helpful to you.

Best,
Biblio.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2020-05-20)
Hello Jb66,

The experience with the penny is interesting. If it were me, I wouldn't have been able to resist looking under the bed to see if there was anything to be seen.

Did you do that?

You said: "My mom and dad have always tended to argue a lot."

I know, from experience, that when there is constant emotional turmoil, in a location, unexplained phenomena sometimes happen. I don't know if it always comes from the energy being expended by the living or if it might be a response (or complaint) by unseen entities. It could be both. I think that, in the case of the flying plate, it has everything to do with the fighting that goes on between your parents.

Did your father make a full recovery?

Does your mother really put on makeup before she does yard work?

- Maria

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: