You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Door Handle

Real Ghost Stories

The Door Handle

 

About 6 years ago (I was in grade 3) we moved to the house we used to live until not so long ago. After living there for about a year, something which freaked me out greatly happened.

It was quite late one night, and I was lying in bed trying to go to sleep. Everyone else was in their beds fast asleep, and the only light in the house that was on was the bathroom light (my brother was afraid of the dark). The bathroom was right next my bedroom. I was having trouble sleeping that night, so I decided to finally plug in my bedside table lamp. There was a huge mess behind it, so I thought I'd clean that out too, pulling out an old poster I used to have too and throwing it on the floor right next to my bed. When that was done, I climbed back into bed and tried to go to sleep.

About 10 minutes later, I heard a weird noise coming from the passage outside my bedroom. I thought it was nothing and lay there in the semi-darkness until I fell asleep again. Then out of nowhere I heard footsteps, like big heavy boots, walking into my room and stop right next to my bed on my poster! I hid under my blanket and opened my eyes slightly to see who it was. There was nothing there at all. I got really freaked out and put my head under the blanket with my eyes closed. I lay there just waiting and waiting for something to happen.

After awhile the thing finally walked out again. Stepping off of my poster and walk out the door once again, sort of silently brushing against it as it walked past. The next morning I told my mom about it, but she just said it was probably one of our two cats. But they were both outside that night, and all of the windows were closed.

Two years later we had started moving out. It may seem strange, I had said we had moved out not so long ago, but in fact we just moved out from the house we moved in after the one we moved to from this house where the occurrences happen... Anyway. I was upstairs in my parents' room with my brother and I had needed to fetch something from my room downstairs. After the last happening, I had been too scared to go into my room, and hardly was ever in there anymore. I slept in my brother's room, and the only time I ever went into my own room was to fetch some clothes and change in the bathroom, or to fetch something in general and go to the living room etc.

I asked my brother to come to my room with me; he was also freaked out about being in my room so he told me to make it quick. I closed my bedroom door so nothing would be able to come inside, and if something was going to, we could hideaway somewhere before it came in. At the time my dad was upstairs watching TV. I found what I needed and we were about to leave the room when there was a weird noise outside the door and we heard someone touch the door handle. We stood there frozen for a few minutes.

I looked away from the door for a few seconds. My brother screamed. I quickly looked back to the door and saw the handle moving as if someone had just taken there hand off the door handle. We ran out as quickly as we could upstairs again. There weren't any footsteps this time, but my brother had seen the door handle turning ever so slowly. I think when my brother screamed it scared the thing away.

I should also say I used to have this old life sized photo of a little girl holding roses. Nothing had ever happened until my dad threw out that picture in my room when we moved into the house, and everything stopped once we had thrown the picture out. My dad had blamed me for scratching all over it, even though no one except my dad had touched it when we moved in. When I had it in my room, it felt like it and everything or something was watching me constantly, from the moment I walk in to the moment I walked out again.

Could this have been the source of it? All my friends who ever came over had said they felt very uncomfortable being in my room and my room only. I really don't know.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lilith, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Lilith (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-15)
[at] Dan
There may have been, as I said before it was behind my bedside table. I may just have not seen them, but they may have been there.

[at] aya22
My dad had, I think, gotten it from a friend as a present, or it was a 'hand-me-down' from family. I'm not entirely sure, but I know it didn't come with the house
aya22 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-02)
Hahaha, glad I'm not alone. Lilith, I'm curious about this picture of the little girl holding roses. Was the photo of someone you or your family knew at one point? Or did it come with the house? Just curious about the history of it, hoping to help answer your question if it could be the source of it all...
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-02)
Hahaha I thought I was going nuts, deja vu all over on this story. I have a question for the poster, Lilith did you ever notice boot marks or indentations on your poster the next morning at all?

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
PyroGirl (21 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-02)
aya22, your not alone.
Lilith, probably. I have had an experience similer to this. I am not frightened by it anymore, probably because I've gotten used to it. I'm glad you shared this with us.
With all due respect,
PyroGirl
aya22 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-02)
Am I the only one having really detailed deja vu right now? I SWEAR I've read this before! 😕
illicit_ (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-16)
Wow spooky! Maybe the picture had a spirit with it idont know? But that's real spooky! Thanks for sharing (:
Lilith (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-16)
It should say "Nothing had ever happened until my dad PUT it in my room when we moved in". Sorry about the many mistakes, I was in a hurry. And about the other story, it wasn't published, even though it should've been first. Please bear with me, haha. Sorry

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: