You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: Three Times A Charm

Real Ghost Stories

Three Times A Charm

 

Me and a few friends used to go out driving a lot at night. So, one night we decided to visit an old castle, supposedly very haunted, that wasn't too far away. This castle was obviously not in immaculate condition, it being so old. The roof was missing, most of the path of the battlements had crumbled away and there was definitely no electricity installed (tours were held during daylight).

The first time we went, we parked the car and began the walk down the ridiculously long lane to reach the castle. We hadn't even gotten a quarter of the way when we all saw two glowing red eyes (I say eyes because that's what they appeared to be) in the middle of the path. Now, this first time was a purely spontaneous trip so we weren't very well equipped to go walking around in the dark. We had one little wind-up torch and two phone lights to guide us so you can probably imagine our reaction when we saw these eyes. Needless to say we didn't stick around a made our way back to the car pretty sharpish, or so we thought. We were trying to run but it was like being on a treadmill: our legs were moving but we weren't getting very far. Anyway, we got back to the car and discussed what had just happened. None of us knew of any animals that had red eyes that glowed in the dark. We classified what we had seen as an 'U.G.O' (Unidentified Glowing Object).

Spurred on by our need to get over our first time, we decided to return this time with better torches. So, we actually made it down to the castle, laughing and joking on the way, as you do. We rounded the corner only to hear the sound of voices in the dark. I know what you're thinking, but it turned out to be avid ghost-hunters who often spent time at the castle. We sat and chatted with these people for a while; they told us the stories and kind of became our guides to the castle. We walked around the sight, our guides pointing out specific areas of activity. Gradually I began to feel a little unwell, which apparently was one of the regular signs of spiritual activity, so I didn't complain. We moved to the main gate where we then heard low voices and whispers. I don't think any of us were really scared as we wanted this kind of thing to happen, although we didn't really expect anything to happen at all. So, we're sat quietly listening when we decide to head back to the seating area at the front of the grounds. But me being me, I decided to hang back a little to see if I could experience anything on my own. I think I may have.

Hearing a noise, I looked down and right in front of me was a modern penny, dated in the same year if I remember correctly. When I told our new guides what I had found they told me to put it back immediately as whatever had dropped it before me would follow me home if I didn't leave it there. They seemed to know what they were talking back so I did as they said, but is this really true? They did tell us about someone they knew who had done it and had woken up to find themselves surrounded by orbs. I was under the impression that you couldn't see orbs with the naked eye.

So, we sat back in the seating area and looked at the castle. We just watched. Gradually we all begin noticing a light flickering in one of the upper windows. As I said, there was no electric there so it wasn't faulty wiring. And there was no floor so it was impossible for it to have been someone playing a prank. Other than that there was not much else to note.

We attempted to go back to the castle a third time, this time we took another friend. We managed to get 3/4 of the way down the lane, didn't have much further to go when all of a sudden out of nowhere, we heard an owl. It wasn't even your typical night owl sounds hooting. This was a screeching, angry owl. My friends said it was obviously the owl warning us not to go any further. I reckon it was just disturbed by something. Who knows?

Other hauntings by DarkRose

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DarkRose, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

wolfeyes72206 (32 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-31)
good story and I liked the ugo also I wanted to say the owl was warning you not to go any further and glad you listened because it could have gotten worst, I hope you all well and keep them coming, God bless.
DarkRose (2 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-09)
Hi, bacchaegrl, yes I did make U.G.O up, and thanks, I like it too 😁
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-23)
Did you make that up? U.G.O? I like it! I want to use that as well. I love ghost castles. I wish there were castles where I lived. You just seem to get more ghosts per capita with a castle. I think everyone said what needs to be said already in the comments, I just wanted to tell you that I like the term U.G.O.
I_Am_SPECTRA (1 stories) (44 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-20)
Red eyes. I wouldn't have liked to be the last one in the line as you were all trying to run back to the car. And a faint flickering. Interesting. Good story. 😊
Petersspirit (4 stories) (144 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-02-18)
Hello Darkrose,

It kept me on the edge of my chair reading this ghostly adventure you and your friends went on! The penny which manifested it self to you made me think of situations over here, but with us things would vanish to turn up again later. And maybe yes; something, the sining of the owl, mite be trying to keep you guy's away for your own safety...

Greetings,
Peter
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-18)
Where is this castle located? Have you done any research on the history?

I have heard that if you remove something that anything associated can come with it. We had this experience with a rocking chair (the story is under my name on this sight).

I also think that you can see orbs with the naked eye; just have to be certain that an orb is what you are seeing as so many other things can cause these tyoes of lights.

Thanks for sharing with us,

God Bless!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-02-18)
The important thing is that you had a good time hunting. I couldn't say yea or nay about the orb issue. However, if you bring something home from a haunted location I'd say there's a chance the item may have an "attachment", whether that would include a penny from our time is a mystery to me, who knows. Best to leave it be just in case, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure in this instance, so you made a wise decision in my book.
This was a fun read, thank you for bringing it. 😊
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-02-18)
Great tale, Dark Rose. I can't say that I have ever heard that orbs can't be seen with the naked eye before. I have never encountered any, but I suspect that the reason so many undetected orbs appear in photos is that many times they prove to be dust particles reflecting the flash. Perhaps this is why some have come to the conclusion that they must be invisible.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-17)
in a word WOW! Personaly I think there is nothing better than an unplanned ghost hunt.
Sounds like you had a good time on this one, thanks for sharing

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: