You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Pub Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Pub Ghost

 

I live in Hampshire England and have done all my life, I live right near many world famous ghost hot spots such as Beaulieu Abbey, the Isle of Wight and Netley Abbey. My story is not the most scariest or thrilling, but it is true, it is also my first and only paranormal experience. When I turned 18 I got a job in the next town to me Hythe in a little 18th century pub called The Lord Nelson.

The whole street of shop's alongside and including The Nelson are connected and were built at the same time so it's a very pretty place, frequented by tourists. Any way I had been working there approximately half a year and was stood behind the bar half way down it in an arch way which would have been the back door to the original pub the rest of the bar was a new extension. It was closed at one end so only had one way in or out, it was also a quiet day about 4 people in the pub at that time. As I was pulling a pint above my left shoulder (the closed side of the bar so any one there would have to walk past me and probably brush past me as it was a very narrow bar) I heard a deep man's voice right by my head ask 'Are we here?'. Just thinking it was another member of staff I instantly looked up and left and saw no one there, then I looked to my right to see no one there either, I then did a 360 wondering where this man had gone? Feeling baffled I slowly began to realise I must have heard a ghost, quickly finishing off the round I was serving I rushed off to tell my colleague who was the longest serving member off staff at The Nelson and also rented out upstairs.

I said 'Nicky I heard a voice!', and before I said anything else she said 'what in the archway?' my eyes widened 'yes how did you know?' she said people always hear things there. I was shocked and that night as all the staff sat down for a drink at lock up she told me stories of things she and other people had experienced in the pub, all in the original part of the pub. I'm 20 now and still believe what I heard was a ghost, I didn't get any feeling of fear or loneliness some people say they feel when having a paranormal experience just head that voice.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Roseyposey, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Roseyposey (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-20)
I deffinately feel I'll react better to any paranomal experience in the future, if it ever happens again. I feel much better having shared my experience. 😁 ❤
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-02-19)
RoseyPosey--Beaulieu Abbey itself is deeply inhabited. If you chose, you could tell the invisible pub man that you heard him and ask if could he identify himself.
There may be an issue you can clear up to allow him to pass over (in case he hasn't already and is just visiting for fun). Happily, you don't seem frightened, but you've been given a gift. Cheers. ~James
SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-02-18)
I think if only staff are hearing it there is a possibility that the spirit is only appearing to you guys (I use the term "guys" loosely) since you have what it wants (possibly drinks as suggested earlier). The staff tends to be there longer than patrons, so it's also possible that they will only appear to someone spending regular and consistant time there. Beyond that I really can't say. I would love to visit and see if I could get anything.
Roseyposey (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-18)
Peterspirit I now think he may have been trying to communicate with me and I should have answered, at the time I was a little scared though. SmokeyKnight as far as I'm aware it was only staff who had encountered any paranormal activity, do think this means anything specific? I'm not sure if this is relevant but there was a 100 year old newspaper clipping framed on the pub wall that told of a man who was killed in a robbery it was on the wall becuse it said the man has previously been drinking in the Nelson. Thanks again for everyones feed back! ❤
SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-18)
Is it only staff that head these voices? Or patrons hear it too?
Petersspirit (4 stories) (144 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-18)
Hello Roseyposey,

Once I walked down the street in the city and out of the blue someone called my name. I looked around but nobody that I saw was familiar to me. Later I shared this with a friend who saw death people (he could tell some scary things here!) and he told me: its a way how ghosts try to connect with you. Thank you for the read, I loved it.

Greetings,
Peter
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-18)
I enjoyed your story. I believe it to be very true. Just because we don't have fantastic tales such as The Amityville Horror or The Shining doesn't mean that we do not have occurances and that these occurances can scare the beezezus out os us! Been there!

Thanks for taking the time to tell your story!

God Bless!
Roseyposey (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-18)
I'm glad you liked it guys! 😁 cosmogal926 I never thought he might want serving but that does make sense! Thanks again for the feed back guys ❤.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+5
13 years ago (2011-02-18)
I love stories like this. Places that have been around for centuries and have some echos of the past still being heard today just fascinates me. It sounded like that man felt you were ignoring him and his buddies and asked you "Are we here" like hey... Can we get a drink? LOL! Great story thanks 😊 ❤
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-02-18)
Having worked in a couple of haunted locations myself, I know how exiting it is to finally have something happen when you're there to witness it yourself. And no matter how many other stories you hear about the place, as cool as they may be, this one happened to you. That is always what stays with you. Cheers to you! And thanks for sharing your story.
😊
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-02-18)
Hi Roseyposey, I like your story. It's very interesting these old buildings. It's strange to think that nothing ever stops. The ghosts even continue a life after death. I must say it must be horrible to be trapped between worlds especially if you go to a pub and not being able to order anything. I feel sorry for those who don't cross over. Anyway, thanks for sharing. Enjoy your day. Trix 😉

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: