You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: The Couch

Real Ghost Stories

The Couch

 

Forward: I know that I said I was leaving the community and for most intents and purposes I have done just that, but I have recently had an interesting experience that I believe users of the web site would greatly enjoy.

For those who know me, or have talked to me, they know I have an interest in the paranormal and am a hobbyist ghost hunter. I was drinking with a friend of mine one night when she informed me she was having "problems" at her house, so I offered to help her. This story is a mixture of a haunting and ghost hunting experience and I hope the users enjoy it.

A few weeks ago I was at a local bar with a few friends of mine drinking when my friend Sheela mentioned in an off handed way they had been having a few problems at their house, they thought they might have a ghost problem.

Interested, I asked her to elaborate; she informed me that when Karren was over at the house, the lights upstairs would flicker on and off. If she was staying overnight, the problem would persist most of the evening and on occasion you could hear someone walking around upstairs in the empty guest room. Sheela and her new husband both assumed the ghost simply didn't like Karren.

But recently they had a new surprise. While lying in bed, a figure they had sitting on top of a clock on the wall fell off the clock, about five feet away from the clock. They thought it was awfully weird that a figure that had stayed on the clock for so long would suddenly fall off and at such a great distance. Sheela also complained that their stereo would often just turn up all on it's own for no apparent reason.

The next evening, bright-eyed, bushy tailed and sober, I went over to her house to re-confirm her story from last night and to see if she wanted me to check the house out for her.

The first thing that interested me was the lights. I asked her if the lights flickered while they had been turned on (and thus supplying a source of energy) or if the lights were off and had turned on by themselves. Sheela could not verify if the lights had been left on (which could hint to an electrical problem) or if they had been off.

Going upstairs I checked the lights and as far as I could tell, they were standard lights. The switches to the lights appeared to work just fine and the lights seemed to be in good working order. Not being an electrician I could not investigate the problem with the lights any further.

Next I wanted to see the clock and the figure they had talked about the night before. Downstairs in the master bedroom hung on the wall was a confederate cuckoo clock with a confederate solider standing on the top of it.

I first examined the figure standing on top of the clock. It had a latch on it that kept it fairly secure, it even gave me a hard time just trying to unlatch it and remove the figure; I then placed the now unlatched figure back on top of the clock.

I gave the wall a smack, nothing. I prodded the clock; it was firmly attached to the wall. I then gave the wall under the clock as hard a kick as I possibly could (I was wearing boots). The figure remained on top of the clock.

I could not understand how the figure on the clock could have fallen so far away from the clock. At first I had thought maybe a truck driving by caused vibrations in the house, causing the figure to fall off, but my attempts at causing the figure to fall were futile. I also ruled out horse play as well.

The stereo they had was an old one, I mean from like the mid to late 80's. It still even had a turntable on it. To turn it on, adjust volume and change stations all required manual control, so that ruled out any sort of controller interference. So it was either faulty hardware or something else. During my test of the stereo it ran fine with no problems.

I set up camp at their house for the night, I had brought along a micro recorder and a camera. At around 12:30AM we cut the power to the house and we began the investigation. Anyone familiar with "ghost hunting" should know what the process is, so I won't go into detail.

All the pictures came up clean. While we did catch SOMETHING on the micro recorder, I am still on the fence about what it was. It sounds like intense white noise and I dismissed it, figuring something might have caused some interference.

I ended up staying at their house, sleeping on their couch. I went to bed around 3:30AM. The only other people in the house at the time was Sheela and her husband, they were sleeping in the master bedroom downstairs.

Around 5:45AM I heard a door open from upstairs in the empty guest room and someone walk around as if they were pacing around the room. Then slowly they started to walk from the room, into the hall and down the stairs. It sounded as if for a moment they paused at the base of the stairs.

I'd like to take a moment to explain something. While I am interested in the paranormal, while I do on occasion put myself in these sorts of situations, I don't actually enjoy being part of the paranormal experience. It's kind of a weird Catch-22. So as I laid there on the couch and listened to whatever it was walking around the house, I started to get nervous. I even started to sweat.

After it had paused at the base of the steps it started to walk into the living room and it stopped behind the couch I was laying on. At the time I was laying on my side, face first into the couch cushions and I was kind of frozen on the spot.

Suddenly the entire couch tiled back on its back two legs as if someone was pulling on the couch and then started to shake it violently. This was an amazing feat in itself because not only was the couch large, I was by no means a small man myself.

At this point I couldn't take it anymore and jumped off the couch. I frantically looked around the room. It was dark and quiet and there was no sign of any intruders. I was alone. I packed up my stuff and went home, shaken up from the experience.

The next day I relayed the information to Sheela, she was impressed to say the least. She is now utterly convinced that her house is in fact haunted. We never bothered with another session, because quite frankly we didn't want to work it up.

Sheela is cool with it; she thinks having a haunted house is "cool". One thing is for sure, I don't sleep over there anymore.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JarMan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-28)
[at] JarMan,
Welcome back old timer. Can't wait to read your new submissions. See you on the boards!

Jav (aka DCinAZ)
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-08-28)
JarMan: Welcome back!...Boy, we sure could've used you this summer!...See how you are?...You come back when the little ones are heading to school again 😆 😆...*sigh* It's been a long summer...
JarMan (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-28)
It's been a long time since I was on the site and I have a few new stories to relay, but I also check on my old ones to see if there are any new comments on my stories.

[at] Succubussed - You who are clearly a guest, will most likely never see my response to your message, yet I find it important that I respond to it, you challenge my credibility, which by all means is actually a good thing on this site.

Here's the deal, I have relayed stories to all of you that have happened to me or a family member either currently or in the past. These things that have happened to me or others, we consider to be truthful, I leave it up to all of you to dissect and critique my stories, if anything, you may actually discover an answer to an unsolved question.

I return the same favor, I read each story as very much a skeptic. You remove all the possible factors and you are left with the truth. I will present to you other possibilities to your problems, I leave it up to you to consider them.

Unless of course I believe your story is complete rubbish. I will call you out on it, as far too many people submit sheer fiction to the site. There are far too many frauds, children and role players on this site.

In the end, we are left with our own experiences and only our own and we will be the only ones to really be able to grasp what happened.

Blindly believing every story that is published on the site is simply doing a disservice to the community.
Succubussed (guest)
-1
13 years ago (2011-04-01)
I find it rather amusing that you can believe that what happened in this account took place, but you dismiss out of hand anything that exceeds your parameters of belief.

It's as if you have spread out your blanket in a strange field, but you will only consider the birds and butterflies and flowers that are within the parameters of your blanket, ignoring all of the activity in the field beyond your little piece of ground.

You can believe in an invisible Being that shakes a couch that you're laying on, but you refuse to believe in the possibility that there might be invisible Beings that sexually interact with Humans.

Very interesting.
SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-20)
Maybe someone who fought for the North but didn't really "disagree" with the South.
JarMan (guest)
-1
13 years ago (2011-03-19)
Hey, sorry it took so long for me to bother responding. Fact is I submitted this story almost a week and a half ago and forgot I had!

When my friends had first moved in, they had no idea that the house could have been potentially haunted, it wasn't until stuff started to happen they started to add it all up.

To be honest, for the most part, stuff doesn't happen all that often and it's been more then a few times in the past I slept at their house because I was so drunk I couldn't walk home 😕 This was the first time I actually got involved with their ghost.

For the most part it just seems to get especially aggravated when Karren is over at the house and we can't really figure it out. Karren is their roommate's on again off again girlfriend and she will spend a few nights a week at the house.

As far as previous owners, investigating the property would suggest none of the owners died on the property, but our town only has records dating back so far and to be honest, it's a pretty damn old house, it used to be a place for loggers to spend the night, converted into a family house.

The whole rebel thing might be a plausible answer to the haunting, but for the most part the ghost seems to leave Sheela and her husband alone. I would think that if the ghost had a problem with rebels, it would have chased they out a long time ago, Sheela's husband is a extreme racist and she simply tolerates it and keeps it in check.
SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-16)
Yea, something about being in the North with things from the South... That could date back further than the last owner. It could be a freed slave spirit or something akin to. Which would explain the anger of the clock and figure, as well as the anger toward you for having "played with it". Just a thought.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-03-16)
JarMan.
I'm leaning towards DA's theory. I'm also thinking, with regards to the clock, the previous owner is taking offense to having Reb's in his house.
I think your experience is a prime example of a spirit claiming ownership on the property. You were not normally there, so you did not belong... Plain and simple.
With regards to your past frustration with this site... To each his/her own...we'll leave a light on.

Lou
Melime (10 stories) (64 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-16)
Really cool story! I admire everyone who does ghosthunting 😊
Thanks for sharing!
Take care!
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-16)
I too have left the community, checking in from time to time and usually disappointed with what I read. Its been some time since the last time I was here, but something (possibly optimism) told me to check in again. I am so glad that you decided to post your story. It was believable and objective. Let us hope that it encourages more of the same. Thanks-Mike
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-15)
Hey JarMan!
Glad to see you came back, I did too (you'll remember me as DCinAZ).
Great story you have here, the instance with the clock figurine sounds like a clue as to the origin of the haunting. But the history of the location would have to be investigated before getting into that part.
It's definetly the tossing you took that is the most amazing. That would send most people running out the door for sure. Keep us updated if anything does come up, because truthfully, I don't think this spirit is ready to calm back down. It may recognize your friends as the property owners for now, but I'd be interested in knowing why it's causing a commotion at all. What brought all this to the forefront anyway? Was it clear from their first day of residence that something else was living there?
Thanks for bringing this story JarMan, I just don't see this one ending quite so soon. 😉
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-14)
Great story! Thanks for sharing it. I'm thinking that this ghost is probably a previous owner of the house, and saw you as an intruder on his property. I'm going to venture to say his because I imagine it would take a great deal of strength to push over a couch with an adult man in it... Unless perhaps it was a freakishly strong she. 😆 I wouldn't go back there either!
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-14)
hi there jarman firstly a huge thanks for posting this it was a great read.
Have to agree with you on the catch 22 I also like to check out hauntings but also don't like to feel the scare factor rising but I think that's what makes a good hunt.
Thanks again for posting 😊
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-14)
Hey JarMan, glad you came back with another great story. 😊 I feel the same way as you and aya22 about being interested in ghost hunting but not very comfortable with having the experience. It's one thing to rationalize it in your mind but when it's actually happening... Totally different story. LOL! Wow that ghost didn't seem to like couch crashers that much huh? That would have scared me half to death, don't blame you one bit for hauling it out of there. 😨
aya22 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-14)
I totally know what you mean about that Catch 22! 😆 Ghost hunting sounds very intriguing, yet I don't think I'd ever have the pluck to willingly put myself into a haunting situation, unless it were for a close friend. You obviously have a lot of courage to investigate haunted houses. I'm glad your friend found some closure concerning the situation in her house. Has she ever found out any of the history of it, or why it's being haunted? Anyway, thanks for sharing again. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: