You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Man In The Brown Suit

Real Ghost Stories

The Man In The Brown Suit

 

June 1968, after two years of planning and building, Astro Land (companion piece to the Houston Astrodome-the world's first domed stadium) opens with a flourish. Built on swamp land, a couple of miles later, the 1.00 purchase becomes a boon for Fred Hofheinz. Ten years later, Hofheinz sells Astro Land to Six Flags Corporation for a heck of a lot more than 1.00.

March 1992. Wrapping up several months of construction, hundreds of Contractors roam the park, putting on finishing touches for opening day, a week from now. I was wrapping up a night shift of patrol and about to head back to "Station Zero", when something catches my eye. Walking south to north, a man in a brown suit is going through the park. I decide to follow him to see what he is up to.

The reason the man caught my attention is that his suit is at least thirty years out of date. Not only that, he's wearing a hat. Who wears a hat anymore? It's not a fedora; it's one of those hats that go with the suit, when men wore those types of hats-in the 1950's.

I follow him for about a quarter mile. He's walking in general areas, not having to navigate doors or gates. Finally, he makes it to the oriental section. This time, he is either going to have use a gate or a door, instead he walks up to a wall, and through it, and vanishes. The wall is on the east side of the restaurant. What I saw makes absolutely no sense. I never see him again.

April 1992. It is late in the month and the park will open full time in just a couple of weeks. It is warm outside as summer has made an early appearance. I bought a soda from a machine in the Mexican area. I need to sit down. Its two hours into the night shift and the Supervisor has been running me. I'll take my break, and then head in to do some paperwork before resuming my patrols.

The oriental restaurant runs its air conditioning full blast during the day. At night, the building retains its coolness. I go in and sit down. I'm a couple of sips into my drink when all of the windows and doors rattle-as if the building is being battered by a category three hurricane. The banging and rattling go on for ten seconds, then stops. My neck hair on end and my nerves rattled, I get up and head back to station zero.

I have no idea if the two occurrences are linked. I only mentioned the incident to a sister years later. The park is torn down fourteen years later. Only an open expanse of land marks where two generations of Houstonians spent their summer.

Other hauntings by Dudester

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Dudester, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

I_Am_SPECTRA (1 stories) (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-08)
Incredible. I would've been a bit shaken if I saw a man walk through a wall, as I'm sure you were. I get the feeling the two events were linked somehow. Maybe everythings linked. Thanks for sharing.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-06)
Sorry Dudester,
I failed to address the rest of your experience, which I'm sure you've already concluded was most likely residual with the man in the brown suit and hat to match.
Thanks for sharing Dudester!
(You know I just like saying that name right?)
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-06)
Dudester,
The only thing that comes to mind where the windows start to shake like that is a sonic boom, aircraft exceeding the speed of sound and the resulting "feel" of a silent, sometimes not so silent, explosion of the atmosphere in the general area where it took place. It was commonplace in the desert of Southern California where Edwards Air Force Base is located and where they tested most of the new military aircraft/jets. Last I knew Texas had just as many AF bases as California, and they test their aircraft there too. Couldn't say for sure, I wasn't there. But that would definitely be my first guess.
aiafaith1 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-06)
Amazing story! Thanks for sharing!

Best Wishes
~Aiafaith1 ❤
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-06)
AstroWorld was torn down due to low park performance, issues with parking with other nearby attractions, such as the Houston Texans stadium, and because the park management thought they could get a crap ton of money for the land. The park was demolished, what rides were still in good order sent to other Six Flags theme parks, the land cleared and sold for $77 million. The park was expecting to get $150 million for the sale. The CEO was canned for that lol. The land the park was on is currently being used as overflow parking. Anyways, that's what I read. The land may be in use in some other way now. ❤
chicken-nugget22 (17 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-06)
Good Story!
[at] lynrinth- I totally agree! I live in Chicago and am next to one of the many Six Flags. I can't picture them tearing it down!
nicole_scaredmother (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-05)
Very interesting...
The man walking through the wall could be some residual haunting - maybe there was a man that used to walk through the park before a wall was there, and he was doing what he usually did. However, the rattling windows... Well, I'm stumped when it comes to that.
I wouldn't say they were related, though. Nice story, by the way, you are an excellent writer.

Nicole
lynrinth (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-05)
You mean to tell me, Six Flags built a park, and then torn it down?! Doesn't Six Flags build these huge theme parks? I can't believe they would teared down a...what, a multi-million dollar theme park?! Wow, that must one heck of a haunting. Are they related? Could be. Though seeing an apparition, then experiencing a hellva of scare in the resturant could be two separate hauntings. Thank goodness nothing followed you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: