You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Bells

Real Ghost Stories

The Bells

 

Ever since I was little, I have come across many strange things; I've felt things, seen things, heard things and even smelt things that are sometimes very familiar to me. Ever since my grandma passed away, which was about 10 years ago in June, my experiences have weirdly increased. I will post many more of those stories later on in the future (hopefully), but really I would like to tell you about something that happened to me when I was only five years of age.

It all started one normal night and I was at home with my family, just doing what I normally did, read. I was reading a book that got given to me by my grandma on my fourth birthday. This book was really special to me, it was about a young girl with a little black cat and they went on many wonderful adventures together. I loved that book so much, I probably read it about two hundred times, and it was my ultimate favourite. My grandma said it had been in her family for a very long time and she trusted me to take good care of it. Yeah your probably wondering why I'm going on and on about this book, but the reason I am going on about it, is because I swear I have seen that black cat (from the book), well a few times at least. I do also remember that it said the black cat wore a black collar with a little bell on it so that the girl couldn't lose him.

But this is what happened to me that same night...

I felt very thirsty so I went to the kitchen to get myself a drink, but I got stopped because I heard a little noise and it sounded like a cat meowing outside in the garden. So I went to the window to see if anything was out there and indeed there was. There was a black cat. I opened the door and the cat looked at me with his bright yellow eyes, he was quite thin and he looked very scared and lost. I felt really sorry for him so I thought that I should maybe get him some milk, so that's what I did. But then the strange thing was, was that when I turned back around to give the cat some milk, he was gone. But I didn't see or hear anything, not a sudden move. It's as like I imagined he was there and really he was not. I thought I was losing it (big time).

Although later on that night, I was in bed and I got woken up by a sound that was kind of familiar to me, but I don't know why. It was the sound of bells, not exactly church bells or a door bell it sounded like bells that would have come from a cat's collar. The only problem was, was that I didn't know any cat around where I lived who had a collar with a bell on it. And then the cat I saw earlier had no collar on at all. Why did I keep hearing these sounds? The sounds of bells. To be honest I was very confused and I didn't know what to think.

After that night, nothing really happened, not for a while anyway. But then about two weeks later it happened all over again. The cat returned once again, then suddenly disappeared like a ghost and then I heard those bells later on in the night. But the bells sounded like they were coming from a far distance but I could still hear them clearly. I had a feeling that the cat from the book had come strangely to life or my dear grandma sent me a sign to say hello. But I didn't really understand then, as I was only five years old. But now I'm fifteen and I understand it more then I did before. Sometimes I do still hear those bells at night, but I don't see the black cat, I haven't for ages. If I was just imagining this whole thing then I'm obviously crazy, my mum sometimes gets concerned and thinks I should see a doctor, but it all seemed to be so real, but really was it?

I think I need some advice on this, do you think I'm crazy? I hope you can help me to understand the truth.

Also thank you very much for reading. Xx

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Poppett91, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Unfriendly (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-04)
oooooo you have a very strange guardian. Possibly an energy manifestation created by your grandmother at the time she died. That's pretty impressive on her part.
GhostFox (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-01)
Do NOT listen to your mother.
What interests me most is you said that this book was in your family for years.
Was this book a particular favourite of your Grandmother's?
I know it was your favourite, but it also could be her's too.
Before she died she may have imagined yours and her favourite things and tried with all her strength to become the black cat, and the sound of bells.
She did this to reassure you, and as you said, to say hello! 😁
chiara6821 (12 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-30)
hi iam chiara I am new here. I had my third eye opendwith a group of friends. I experiened thesame thind but it was not a cat it was a shadow until now it follows me.
aiafaith1 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-30)
First if all, you're not going crazy. 😊

Second, this story was so sweet! Thank you so much for sharing it! I think it was your grandma saying hello.

So cute! Please let us know if anything else happens! ❤
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-30)
Hi Poppett91, sorry but I also has to agree with the others. I don't think what happened to you was paranormal because you were still very young, and you actually lived into that story each day like you said read it over and over and over. I think as a child you loved that story so much that you started to get an obsession over it. For you on that age the cat became real, and that is normal in children behaviour. Don't take this as an insult please I'm just trying to make sense out of it.
When I was 5 years old it was Easter and my grandfather pointed his finger to the wall in front of us and said:"look there goes the Easter bunny, did you see his tail at the wall as he jumped over it?" I still remember seeing that tail, but I know it was my imagination that played with the whole thing because as a child I wanted to see the bunny. I'm 41 now and still I can remember that tail, but it was only a creation in my mind as a child. Take care. Trix.
jzinck (4 stories) (54 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-29)
Could have been a sign from your grammy who passed away or it could have been your imagination. Kids can be very imaginative. Regardless, if it was a sign from your nan or just your imagination, I don't think its something you need to see a shrink over. Whatever the experience was made you feel a little curious of the paranormal and a lot loved. Sounds pretty good to me!
Igee (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-28)
It could be your Grandma. Just sending her guidance and love. Or it could also be a sign that in the near future you will going to be a paranormal expert. Lol. 🤔
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-28)
I was reading this story and I was thinking to myself that maybe it was your imagination. Maybe it was a normal Black Cat (not from your book) and maybe the bells were something else entirely. Cats can be very sneaky and they can disappear without a trace. Cats are noctournal hunters so they have to be fast and quiet in order to execute the "perfect kill". This is probably why you didn't hear the Cat leave and why S/he "disappeared".
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-28)
Your grandmother could be communicating with you to let you know you she is around, you know the sound you are hearing is a bell, so why not just say hi Grandma and be at peace. If it is a neighborhood cat (and it could be) then, no worries.

I have read stories where items dear to a deceased loved one have appeared at funerals, weddings etc. Like a butterfly at a funeral, in November. A top hat at a wedding (no one was wearing it), a unusual obscure song played at a funeral being played a lot over the radio for months after the burial.

It is possible this cat was a spirit cat. I have had one walk across my bed. (didnt see it though)
They are ok, at least the only dead things they bring in the house are themselves. Mine just brought in a poor baby bunny and dumped it in the middle of the living room. Have to go remove the poor bunny.
😢
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-04-28)
I loves cat and like redphx say cat can be very sneaking I do have cats too my cat know that I am deaf and when she come and I jump I don't know why like redphx say cat is very sneaking cause sneak like walk quietly and not know if he/she there for a second so... Sometimes when I read book after finish I go bed I think of that play in your head what cause from reading book kind of like you wish for something and it pop up in your mind...
Poppett91 (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-27)
Miracles

Yes there was more information that led the doctor to the evaluation but I don't really want to explain it. It's hard for me to talk about.
Hope this helps your question

Poppett91 ❤
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-27)
Poppett - what kind of doctor did you see that told you you might be having flashbacks based on this information or is there more information that led the doctor to this evaluation?
Poppett91 (1 stories) (11 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-27)
Thankyou for all the comments
Yes I know that this all seems confusing to you guys but really it was quite strange. The bells were not from wind chimes, or anything else, it seemed to be from an animals collar. Yes indeed it could have been a dog but I'm not sure. The bells I hear at night are from a long distance, I think anyway.
I have been to the doctor and they said to me that I could be having mental flashbacks of the past.

Also I have had many cats in the past and I know that they can be very sneaky and quiet but again I'm not sure. I'm sorry if this has confused you lot, I know it's strange. I do find this very emotional also, it could be signs or I could just be imagining it.

Sorry for any confusion on the story. Hope this helps

Poppett91 a.k.a Poppy ❤
snowhite (203 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-04-27)
How can you remember things so well when you were five? I don't think it is a cat's ghost. You may just happened to see a black homeless cat.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-04-27)
Poppett: I think the reason you haven't seen the cat in ages is because it's more than likely dead...It's been 10 years, after all, and even though cats do live a long time, it's no telling how old it was when you first spotted it... Miracles point about the bells possibly being from a neighbor's wind chime seems very likely to me...

I'm sorry, I don't think this was a paranormal experience...
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-04-27)
Poppett - I have to agree with the comments the others have made. I've had cats my whole life (more than 30 over the years), so I can assure you they are pretty quick about disappearing when they want. Especially the black ones in the night 😊.

I wanted to point out that the bells you heard might have been something other than on a cat's collar. There are bells on wind chimes, bells on a dog's collar, I've seen little bells on doors even. So there are many different possibilities for the sound you heard.

But then again, maybe your grandma was sending you a message 😊
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-04-27)
I have six cats. I can tell you that cats are very sneaky and very good at being quiet. They rarely if ever make a noise when they move around especially if they don't want to be seen. I think that you had cat visitor but he left before you were able to give him some milk. I like that you found solice in this experience and that the cat was comforting to you. I really do think that it was just a random kitty in the garden.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+3
13 years ago (2011-04-27)
Just to add to what Elephante81 said, losing sight of a black cat in the dark is not uncommon. A black cat vanishing in the night is not odd at all.
I've never heard of anyone giving a four year old a book, especially a book that has been in the family for a long time. Most children that young aren't too enthusiastic about taking good care of books. You must have a great love of reading. 😊
Elephante81 (2 stories) (59 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-04-27)
Not sure if I understand exactly what the paranormal experience is. Since you were 4 when this happened, maybe you just associated a stray cat with the cat in the book. Hearing the bells when you wake up could have easily been your subconcious as you were coming out of dream state. Cats can disappear quite easily when startled and are very good at keeping quiet. Just a suggestion 😳

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: