You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Want Answers To My Haunted House Questions

Real Ghost Stories

Want Answers To My Haunted House Questions

 

I grew up in a haunted house from the time I was about two or three until I was eight or so. I grew up in Columbus, Ohio and this would have been from 1988 or 1989 until 1994 or so.

As you walked into the front door, you were in the living room. As you left the living room, you came to the dining room and a set of stairs that led upstairs. Passing through the dining room you came into the kitchen which contained the back door and a side door. There was also a space to the left that contained the "laundry room" a small space for a washer and dryer as well as a toilet. There were steps that led down to the unfinished basement.

Most of the activity that happened when I was a child is pretty mundane. The biggest thing to happen happened all the time and so we got used to it. We had a black lab that would lay in the doorway from the living room into the dining room. He would face the dining room while we were all in the living room. We would hear creaks that sounded like footsteps walking around the dining room and then up the stairs. Every time this would happen, our dog would look into the dining room and growl low in his throat like he would have attacked whatever it was if it got any closer.

My bedroom up stairs was directly to the left of the stairwell. When you got up the stairs, you could walk straight (leading into my brothers room) or turn left (leading into my room). My parent's room was through my room and to the right and the bathroom was straight through my room. I always slept on my side facing away from the staircase. I would frequently wake up hearing footsteps walking up and down the stairs behind me. I would lay there paralyzed with fear. All I kept seeing in my head was this guy dressed in black clothes and very heavy boots, like engineer boots, running into my room and grabbing me. The person I kept "seeing" had a skull for a head.

The closet in my room was also terrifying to me. The door had lots of small square mirrors (about 6" square). I was always afraid of what was in there because the door kept opening by itself. I could not sleep until it was closed tight and invariably when I woke up to go to the bathroom, it would be open. The other reason it scared me was because the crawlspace that counted as the attic was in my closet as well. I always thought something was hiding up there.

This was an older house and had register vents that led from one room to another. There was a big square one in the floor of my brother's room that led directly into the living room so my brother and I used to listen to the conversations of our parents from time to time. One night while getting dressed for bed in my room, I distinctly heard this woman (I assumed it was my mother calling through the vent) call out "Amanda! Hurry Up!" Needless to say, I finished getting dressed in a hurry. I did not think I had taken very long so when I went downstairs I asked my mother why she had called to me through the vent to hurry up when I had not taken long. She looked at me a little puzzled and said that she had never told me to hurry up. That freaked me out quite a bit.

My mother also claimed that she saw the shadow outline of a woman in turn of the century clothes (big hoop skirt, bonnet, and parasol) and a little boy with her.

The other weird thing to have happened was that one movie that I had been watching over and over mysteriously erased itself while in the VCR. We went to bed and had just turned it off. When we got up in the morning, there was no movie, just static. I will definitely admit that it could have been one of my parents accidently or on purpose hitting the record button. The final weird thing that I just remembered about our VCR is that when we would stop a movie, the VCR would sometimes rewind it automatically. It was not supposed to do that, but it did. We would also occasionally lose videotapes that had been in our collection for years. They would just disappear, we would look everywhere, and then they would reappear in the spot they were supposed to be in two or three days later.

I realize that some of this can be explained by natural causes; to a skeptic, all of it can. I still have not found answers to my stories that I am content with at this time. Sorry that it is so long. What do you think it was or could have been?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, dragonfly10, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

JK (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-20)
The tape erasing itself is probably not because of a ghost, nor is the VCR rewinding when you stop it. Sometimes, static buildup can wipe out a section of a tape (as well as just plain ol' wear and tear, as you did say you watched it a lot), and some VCR's are just crappy and have faulty controls.
AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-01)
cold spots and odd looking apparitions are generally common signs of ANY ghostly activity not just demonic (rolls eyes) and IF you are catholic and BELIEVE in their ways then JimDs suggestions are great and will work wonderfully BUT if you are not catholic or do not believe they will not work.

No matter how many times you invoke the name of christ if you do not believe in him it won't do any good.

It sounds like you had a very "normal" ghostly experience. Doing some research on former owners could answer many of your questions.
JimD (431 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-27)
Cold spots, and odd looking apparitions often indicate demonic activity. The goal, via psychological warfare, is to at least terrorize you, if not worse. Try using (Catholic) Holy water, blessed salt, and the names of Jesus, Mary and St. Michael the Archangel. The Rosary also helps a lot. If Catholic, receive the Sacraments often, and try commanding the "man" to depart in Jesus' name. See its reaction. Good luck, and be careful. Dukes2352atAOL.com.
KirstyLouise (15 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-25)
well that was an amazing story, I'm glad you shared it with us.
Weird things ehh?
When I was in the house in my own, I used to hear crying in my room and scratches in the attic. It freaked me out because of the exorcist 😜

In my opinion it's a ghost, maybe trying to have fun? Maybe it's the little boy your mum saw playing tricks on you?

Well I hope you get the answers you wanted❀
xoxoxo
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-24)
Hi Dragonfly You imagion this man with black and and boot and did you by chance watch ghostrider I am just wonder that all it sound like you imagian it like cosmongal say you just imagination and also omterest about that time perid of the woman with this hoop skirt I know what you about it and she and the child made had been from time centery before your family come in. I hear mirror are from portal so maybe they from there.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-02-24)
When I was a kid, I would hear my mom call me a LOT when we were the only ones home, and it seldom was her... My Grandma always said I had a guilty consience! πŸ˜†...And it's frustrating to have things go missing, specially things that you keep in the same place all the time...We're not the world's most organized family, but missimg dvd's, cd's, videos, CLOTHES, jewelry, and the worst: car keys, and anything else you can imagine, points to paranormal stuff... Have you had any experiences since you've moved from there?...If so, I would like to hear about them...

Moongrim, your powers of observation always crack me up!...But, in 1994, the century hadn't turned yet! LOL πŸ˜†...
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-24)
Just a minor suggestion, but folks are going to have to modify the phrase 'turn of the century' a bit.

Since the century 'turned' ten years ago.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-24)
Hello dragonfly10, It sounds like you and your family were sharing the house with some spirits that were either connected to the house or the land itself. The image of the man you kept "seeing" in your head dressed in black with just a skull could have been your imagination. You were hearing footsteps and were afraid, so your mind made up a figure to coincide with that fear. From your story, I don't think these spirits wanted to hurt you. They probably just wanted some attention. Have you ever researched the history of the house to find out if something happened to a woman and child that lived there? Thanks for sharing your story with us. Take care 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: