You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: News On My Grandad And The Question Of Noise

Real Ghost Stories

News On My Grandad And The Question Of Noise

 

Sorry to submit another story in such quick succession to my last, but it seemed important to me to submit this one too.

I said in my first story on here that I had heard footsteps in the house where my Grandad had died. They came from the living room where he spent all his time and it really freaked me out. My Nanny doesn't believe in these things, so I didn't tell her for a long time for fear of upsetting her.

I visited recently to keep her company. I've been worried that without my Grandad she'll be lonely, but I know she'd never tell me if she was. I thought about the footsteps in the living room all the way there, and resolved to go and see what/who the noise was if I encountered it once again. The sound didn't come and I haven't heard it since, much to my dismay, but one day while sitting on my bed with the dog and my Nanny talking to me, I heard a loud cough from the hallway.

I stopped listening to my Nanny and turned towards it with an obvious frown on my face. She watched me for a while, analyzing the expression I was wearing, then asked me if I had heard a cough, to which I replied, quite surprised 'yes'.

She told me that she had heard it before at different places in the house and that she thinks it sounds like my little cousin (who hasn't passed on, by the way) and that she thinks the walls of her house holds sounds and saves them, only to be heard later on. I know there is scientific research on this and so it might be a possible explanation for the noise, but I was wondering what all of you thought? A ghost passing through, or a recorded sound?

Other hauntings by kittyalice

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, kittyalice, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

alexreed (4 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-01)
sounds are basic waves which in technical terms are energy which can store itself into someething (sometimes multiple things) and certain things can trigger these events such as you walking on the area that its recorded or sometimes matching the same sound and (or) vibration to activate the energy's release. Hope this helps
webbie (4 stories) (23 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-10)
I have only heard a residual haunt once in my life and it was on old battlefield. The sound was faint and far away but I could hear the cannons, explosions and yelling. Best way to describe it would be like chaos whispering.

From the beginning of your experience I was thinking your Grandmother knew more than she was telling you about the house. You proved it when you said she was analyzing your face when you heard the cough. She must have heard many of them (and probably other things) but didn't want to say until she was sure you heard it too.

It doesn't sound like a residual haunt and the only reason I think a spirit would cough would be to get some attention or to let you know your conversation wasn't private. This is just my opinion though.

Sorry for your loss. Best wishes
twelveam (74 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-05)
Hi kittyalice,
Since your nanny has heard these noises when you were not around, makes me believe that 'you' are not the one attracting the entities.

As far as the residual effect on this place being the origin "i think" might not be the case, almost all of the residual haunts that I have dealt were from a ripple in time, but additionally are from highly emotional instances from the past (the emotions can be from good OR bad events) either way, this is usually the case because it takes a great deal of emotion to develop the energies needed to imprint those events into the structures building materials.

I certainly hope your situation changes for the better in the near future, as you seem to have had several hauntings in different locations as well.

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with all of us, and please post anything more if it happens in the future then maybe we can get a better understanding of the causes of all this. 😁 😊
Zoec07 (1 stories) (8 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-03)
Maybe you Grandad trying to gain your attention, a solitary cough rather than a coughing fit could be a simple, listen I'm here kind of thing.

Whilst I do believe in buildings holding onto energies kind of like in the film Others I also believe in the paranormal. And I like to think that's your Grandad just joining you all...:)
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+4
11 years ago (2013-01-02)
moravian,

It appears from your comment that since you do not believe in residual hauntings, all haunting are, or should be considered intelligent? I guess I could go there; but by definition, an intelligent haunting shows some perception of the setting or circumstances of the present and is not stuck in a continuous loop or series of actions. If this is the case, why would a spirit continue to do the same actions over and over/repeatedly in a certain place/at a certain time? Would that be the spirit's choice? Also, the spirits that don't interact in these situations, are they just ignoring the living?

Lou
moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
-3
11 years ago (2013-01-02)
I don't buy the whole "residual" haunting thing. There's no scientific proof that human energy can linger residually. This is pure speculation that came from TAPS ghost hunters. Who can really say who or what it is. I suspect your grand dad hasn't moved on yet but still inhabits the circumstances he knew in his fleshly life: his house and sick body. He needs to move on... Into the light... To a higher level and new life. But this is just what I think.
Chrsw72 (22 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-28)
residual energy is a possibility did your grandad smoke? Good luck xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxooooooooooooooooooooooo
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-27)
It is possible that what is being heard is 'residual' in nature. Some things you can research that may help determine if this is the case are...

Is the property built on or near a limestone or quartz deposit?

Is there a source of running water on or near the property?

What building materials were used when the home was built? (certain materials could help 'record' events)

Are there any 'High Power' lines near the property or that run across the property?

Any/All of these things could help create an environment that COULD record events... This certainly is not all of them, but this is a list that I could think of off the top of my head.

Please keep us updated.

Respectfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: