You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Coffee Pot Turned On

Real Ghost Stories

Coffee Pot Turned On

 

Before I go to bed I always prepare the pot for coffee in the morning. The machine is basically plugged in and ready to go.

Two weeks ago, I was lying on my sofa and my little cat was standing on my chest like she regularly does. Normally, she continually looks at me. This one night, she's standing there looking at me, then she suddenly looks up like she sees something directly behind me. Her head then turns like she's watching something move from one direction to another. It was nothing drastic and at the time I thought nothing off it, particularly since cats are known to chase after "imaginary" objects.

Well, when I got up the next morning and went into the kitchen the coffee was ready. It had been turned on. I thought that was quite odd, but I thought I may have gotten up in the middle of night and switched it on.

Okay, fast forward two weeks. Last evening I am in my kitchen and I cleaning crumbs, etc. Around my stove. My coffee pot is adjacent to the stove. While I am cleaning, I happen to look down at my coffee pot and I actually see the switch on my coffee pot "click" on, as it someone had depressed it. In short, the pot is "off" while the switch is in the inactive position. This time, it was NOT simply a matter of coming out to the kitchen and noticing that the coffee had been made. This time, I actually see the switch move. That was it. There were no other noises, or voices, or things flying out of the cupboards or pictures flying off the wall, etc. The pot was plugged in, but it was switched off. Actually seeing the switch move as if someone were standing right there switching it on was a little freaky.

I would be interested to hear someone's non-paranormal explanation for this.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, VikingMan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

bambea1 (1 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-31)
This just happened to me this morning, I walk in my office and I see the green light came on on my mr coffee coffee pot and it starts brewing a pot of coffee. I do leave the night before with the water and coffee already set up so when I walk in I can just turn it on. But this morning I hadn't even turn my office light on and I saw the green ON light on and heard it start the brewing. Very weird... I don't believe there is any pre set timing on this machine and if there is I don't know how to use it. I have had it for a few years now too. And I asked the 2 people that were already in the office if they turned it on and neither had. Just a very strange and spooky thing. 😐 Lastly, I had just visited a dear old aunt yesterday too who is dying not so sure that there might be some dead relatives hanging around right now and someone might be trying to get to me 😆
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
I don't mean to sound harsh here, but there's just no way I would advocate or encourage the author to do anything less than what will keep them safe.
I will, however expand on Miracles suggestion, and advise the author to at least report these occurrences to the company that made the machine. Whether there is a recall or not, it could be a design flaw.
It could still be a paranormal experience, but I wouldn't feel right making a judgement like that when it comes to the dangers involved if it isn't.

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
I still stick with my original advice here. This is a small electrical appliance. It has a heating element. It is turning on seemingly on it's own. If you choose to continue using said coffee maker, at least unplug the thing when not in use. Anything other than that is just courting trouble, in my opinion.

Jav 😐
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
VikingMan - it might help us coffee drinkers LOL if you tell us what kind of coffeemaker you have. I have a Sunbeam brand and to turn my coffee pot on, you have to flip the switch up. Some brands have easier switches than others.

Also, you might be able to google it to see if there is a recall on that brand or if other people have had problems with that coffeemaker turning itself on or off.
JustCurious (2 stories) (434 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
Does sound like a paranormal experience.

Sorry Javelina but if it was a short in the wiring why would the writer be able to see the switch physically be depressed as though someone was pressing it? Last I checked a short would be able to cause it without the switch going in on its own.

Peace
JustCurious
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
It sounds like a short in the wiring of the coffeemaker. Stop using it and get a new one. Better safe than sorry when it comes to small appliances. They cause way too many house fires already. If you can't afford to replace it, at least keep it unplugged when your not using it. If it turns on while unplugged? Then you've got a story.

Jav
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
I had a perfectly rational non-paranormal explanation. Had. I was thinking maybe your cat had been playing on the counter and clicked the button before you got up.
Then you mentioned seeing the button click on by itself. Cat theory didn't sound so good after that. You have me stumped.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: