You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunting In A Brand New Home

Real Ghost Stories

Haunting In A Brand New Home

 

These are occurrences that happened over the span of a year in a brand new home, and I would really like to get advice or opinions as to what was going on in this house.

It was the summer of 2005. My college roommate and I had just moved into a brand new, four bedroom home. We were bursting with excitement at the prospect of living in a completely new home, and all the fun that was going to be had there. The home was part of a new subdivision, so all the homes had been built within the last few months. Only half of the subdivision had been finished, to give you an idea of how new the place was. For the first few weeks everything was calm and relatively uneventful. There was nothing at all out of the ordinary. We were setting up the house, buying furniture (brand new as well), getting our cable set up etc.

After about a month and a half, things started getting strange. These occurrences were experienced by both my roommate and myself, as well as other people who visited our home. When walking up the steps, it felt as though somebody was following you, to the point where you would either feel compelled to turn around, or you would hurry up the steps. It was almost a menacing presence, I didn't get good vibes from it.

While sitting in the living room alone on my computer, I could always feel something watching me intently from the corner of the ceiling. It was always from the same particular spot--the upper corner of the room (as though somebody looking down at me). I would be working on a paper, and would just have to glance up every so often it was so intense. My roommate said the same thing happened with her.

Then the channels on the TV would start flipping and changing by themselves. I thought it was strange but chalked it up to something technical. One night, one of our friends was sleeping over, in the 3rd bedroom, and he reported that he saw the bunny ears (before digital TV) on top of the TV moving by themselves. Subtle stuff like this went on for weeks, but after awhile the occurrences started becoming more pronounced.

One day I was in bed reading a book, the TV was off, and nobody was in the house with me. I heard a loud crash in the kitchen, as if a pot or pan had fallen to the floor. As I went to investigate, everything was in its place. As my roommate was in bed one night, she heard the little butterfly pendent she had hanging on her doorknob tap against her door for a minute straight, in a steady, even tempo, like "tap...tap...tap..." as if somebody was doing it on purpose. She'd tried to duplicate it on her own, but it would tap the door once and stop. It was very light-weight, and the vent was nowhere near her door.

I was in the shower one day and a bottle of shampoo flew of the shower shelf as if it were being propelled by something, and hit me. Had it dropped it would have just fell by the drain (and that has never, ever happened before!). I would often times hear things in the bathroom get knocked to the floor while in other parts of the house.

One night, as I laid in bed trying to fall asleep, I was starting at the pattern on the wall made by the street light casting in through the blinds. All of a sudden, the pattern just disappeared, as if something had stepped in front of it (there was no tree in our front yard or any explanation as to what it could have been). Another time while in bed quietly watching TV (I was the only one in the house) I heard a loud "BANG" downstairs, and I rushed to see what it was. The door that lead to the garage was wide open, I was scared as hell and thought that somebody might have broken in, so I grabbed a large butcher knife out the kitchen and searched the whole home. There was nobody there, but I felt so uneasy that I left the house for the entire night.

One night shortly after Halloween, we had three friends over. We were all laughing and socializing when all of a sudden the doorbell rang. We all looked at each other with confusion for a second, as we didn't know who would be ringing at 11 pm. My friend was standing right next to the door at the time so he went and opened it. There was nobody there! We looked up and down the street, saw no kids or anybody walking or running away. There weren't even any school-aged kids living on our street at the time. We all just looked at each other in bewilderment.

The final straw for me was one night I came home from a party. I wasn't drunk or under the influence of anything. I was laying in bed, on the brink of unconsciousness, when all of a sudden I heard a loud "SHHHHHHH!" right next to my ear! I did not imagine this! It startled the hell out of me, and I had never felt so scared and threatened in my life! (I'd felt much safer in my old crime ridden neighborhood!) I turned on all the lights in the house and bolted out of there, and didn't come back until two days later! I moved out a few weeks later. Once I moved into a new apartment, the occurrences stopped.

One thing strange I noticed about the neighborhood was that there was always fog hovering off the ground at night, but once you left the subdivision it was gone. At a later date, my roommate sent me some photos she'd developed while living at the house, and there were orbs in every picture! At the time, I didn't know what orbs were, so I disregarded it as something wrong with the development of the film. I'd love to hear what you all think!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Pinkie1985, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-14)
Welcome to YGS (Your Ghost Stories) Pinkie.
I agree with many of the previous suggestions, and I've got a couple more to add.
First things first though. Yes, I do believe you experienced a haunting. It's not so easy to brush all of these instances aside. The garage door, the charm tapping, the shushing in your ear, the moving rabbit ears antenna, and most notably, the pattern on the wall being blocked out, are all things I put in the paranormal category.
The doorbell is something I have dealt with myself, and all it ended up being was matching codes in the neighbors and ours. I opened ours up, switched the keys, and that was all it took.
The TV could be another code match with another neighbor.
The flying shampoo bottle bothers me though. You're right, it should have just fallen if anything. And it doesn't do it forcefully.
This was a brand new house, brand new subdivision. A high EMF field is something you find in older homes with older wiring and out of date breakers. But that doesn't mean it can't happen.
My thoughts? You knew there was something there, it scared you enough that you left. You did what you felt you had to do, and I don't blame you. That fog coming in every night in just that area and no where else might have been the tipping point for me too. I do believe it is the land that's haunted. Whatever is there was probably woken up by the construction.
If you want to find out any history about the land or what it was used for, try the local Historical Society, they have a wealth of information and they love being asked to help. Just be sure to come back and add that here. You never know, there may be others going through the same thing over there now, and they could end up here too.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-12)
Hi Pinkie1985, I was thinking the same thing as Rook about a possible high EMF in the room where you felt most uneasy and watched in. You mentioned that the house was new development, but sometimes it's not the house that is haunted. Something could have happened on the land that the house was built on years before. I would say that it sounds like poltergeist activity to me too. Thanks for posting.

😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
13 years ago (2011-08-12)
Pinkie1985 - you mentioned photos with lots of orbs in them. This could be attributed to the fog, depending upon the time of day the pictures were taken.

I have scads, and I'm talking hundreds, of photos that I have taken over the years and there are what seems to be zillions of orbs in them. Most of them are nothing more than the conditions of the weather.

You may barely feel the mist in the air at the time the pictures are taken, but the mist will show up as orbs. I'm not saying this is the case when your friend took the pictures because I wasn't there, I'm just offering a suggestion.
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-12)
That place sounds like a sweet pad. Sorry you had to move out. Maybe you had a vortex or something in the home. Things like that can happen, I guess, even in a new home.
turfster (2 stories) (9 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-12)
I'm thinking its a poltergeist since its centered around you and your roommate.
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-12)
Pinkie1985- a lot of subdivisions are built on what used to be farmlands and the old place may have burned or been torn down and any spirits that may have been there would definitly be attracted to a new home with new people in it. Thanks for sharing!

Champion
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-08-12)
Pinkie1985,

The first few things you mention may have natural causes, the feeling of being watched... Possible high EMF in that location... You mentioned that it happened on the steps... And then when on your computer you would feel like you were being stared at... From a certain corner of the room... Was this corner near the spot on the steps people felt uncomfortable? If so the source of the high EMF may have been in that location.

The doorbell incident still may have been someone playing a practical joke... Just because no one was seen walking or running away doesn't mean they weren't hiding close by...

Now, the garage door, your roommates charm and the voice you heard... Even the light pattern being blocked out... These area bit harder to explain away as 'natural'. Is there any history known about the property the homes were built on? That may give a clue... Perhaps a spirit was attracted to the 'excitement' you and your roommate were felling about your new home and the things happening there...

Without more information it's kind of hard to say just what was happening... Thanks for sharing this experience with us.

Respectfully,

Rook
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-12)
Ya, shades of that creepy movie about the subdivision built on a burial ground, I forgot the name of it. It could be there was another home or homestead built on the property at one time or, it could have been native american land. I'm glad you don't have to deal with it any more and it did not follow you but stayed where it needed to. Thanks for sharing! ❤
swagkid (1 stories) (8 posts)
-4
13 years ago (2011-08-11)
wow the house must have been built on burial grounds or something because I have never heard about a haunting an a brand new house

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: