You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Unnerving Phone Calls

Real Ghost Stories

Unnerving Phone Calls

 

In April 1995, I was 5 months pregnant with my only child. My mother had died suddenly one year prior to me getting pregnant. I was alone and fearful, all I wanted was to be a mom. I was 31 years old and the only supportive person in my life was my older sister.

I had just moved into a rented room in a woman's home and had just had my phone installed (no cell phones for poverty stricken me at that time) and my phone rang. There was no one speaking on the line and I felt a strange sense of dread. It was as if someone was seriously trying to get my attention. It lasted for a few moments before I decided to hang up. I tried to trace the call but it was untraceable. Shortly after, my son's father bought me a one way plane ticket where I settled in with my sister and prepared for my son's birth.

I stayed in the same town as my sister until my son turned 3. I never gave it much thought, but looking back I noticed I would get those strange mystery calls occasionally in my apt. And when I would visit my sister she would get random phone calls where nothing was said and they were unable to be traced. I then moved 3 hours away to take a job and did not have a telephone line of my own for about a year or so. I was not able to keep a job for long and was forced to live in a nicer homeless shelter for families while waiting for a section 8 apartment to open up so once again I did not have a private phone line. My son was almost 4 while we were at the shelter.

We had our own room in a building that is in a very old neighborhood. My son began complaining to me that he was woke up at night by a "hand on his back but when I look nobody." I tried to reassure him that it was me since we shared a double bed. He said, "no the hand presses on my back and talks to me. When I look at you mommy you are asleep". We finally were allowed to move into our apartmet by the time he turned four. I had a phone installed and started a very stressful job. I would come home literally to cry before picking my son up from preschool. My new phone would start ringing off the hook the moment I stepped foot in the door. The same strange untraceable calls. They ceased whenever my son was home. I began to panic, the calls became so eerie as if someone were observing me walking in the door. I begged the phone company for help and finally received a caller id that prevented blocked calls from getting thru. The calls ceased to a halt.

In early Sept. 2001; just after my father died far away in another state, I took my son with me to visit a friend. We arrived home shortly after 9 p.m., and there was a number on my caller id showing a call coming in at 8 p.m., but no message. I called the number the following morning and it was the phone company. They were puzzled how I got the number and stated nobody from that number would have called me, and that there wasn't anyone there at that hour. I did not think anything of it, and forgot it. Sept. 10th, 2001 I visited my same friend again in the evening and returned home again after 9 p.m. And was very unnerved to see that same phone number and time called with no message on my answering machine! Of course, we all know what was to come that sad Monday morning after. I never received another phone call like that again and I have no idea how or why it was. Looking back on it all I can't help but think it was my mother trying to reach out to me but I have no other hints or clues. I was so alone and depressed during all that time, eventually I escaped poverty and my son and I have a much better life together. All I can assume is that somehow she wanted to get my attention but it was really creepy.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Idaho

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, calvinsmom, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AnimalAngels (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-17)
[at] Moongrim

I doubt its a stalker. If it was a stalker [at] Calvinsmum would have known.

[at] Calvinsmum

Have you ever felt like you were being watched, like someone was behind you? And is there any reason someone would haunt you and your son? Maybe a mad spirit? Great story!

❤,

AA
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-15)
Or perhaps you were being stalked by someone with connections to the phone company. It's amazing the down turn in 'mysterious' phone calls I've gotten since I got caller I.D., and started returning the favor...
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-14)
Well, I'm going against the flow of everyone else's thoughts, but I have to ask.
Was there anyone you knew during the times the phone calls were taking place that might have been responsible for the calls? The only activity mentioned during the time you weren't in your own home was your son's experience with the hand on his back. Everything else is the mystery phone calls, in your different homes. So, any possibilities for someone living who may want to mess with you? Relatives who enjoy trouble, jilted old flames, maybe your son's father? Not trying to drag up bad memories, just looking for a non-paranormal possibility. The caller ID stopping the calls really makes me think it was a living person messing with you. Ghosts are quite skillful at working around technology to give their messages. But, technology can be more of a deterrent for living troublemakers.
Although the living can't guess at the logic of ghosts, the phone company seems kind of random for a ghost to use to call someone. Did the phone company have an automated calling system? If not, I would be wondering who I knew that had taken a job with the phone company.
The calls may have been paranormal in nature, but maybe not. Either way, the calls have stopped and that's a good thing. If the calls had seemed comforting, or even just confusing, I would agree that it could have been your mother. But you mention a feeling of dread, and that is worrisome. I'm just glad that you and your son have a better life now.
Madyrina (68 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-12)
I have to agree, I think it was your mom trying to comfort you and your son during those trying times. (Though I'm sure that it was unsettling at times.) I'm glad for you and your son that you are not having such a hard time now. ❤
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-12)
calvinsmom, I personally think that it was your mum trying to comfort you during those hard times. It's nice to know that you and your son have moved on to better times. God Bless You.
Question: Did your friend that you saw on the 10th of September have any connections to any victims of 9/11?
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-08-12)
calvinsmom,

I have to ask this question... What times were the calls coming in before you had the caller ID? Was it about the same time as the ones with no message left on your caller ID? (8PM?) Does that time represent anything to you or did it hold any significance for your Mother?

It sounds as if someone was comforting your son while you were in the shelter...please, if it's not rude of me to ask... Did your son share with you what was being whispered to him? Was it a male or female voice? I 'feel' that this may have been your Mother trying to comfort you and your son during the hard times you were facing. I'm glad things are better for you and your son, thank you for sharing this experience with us.

Respectfully,

Rook
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-11)
I was facinated by this story because my young niece received a phone call from her deceased Grandfather while staying in a hotel a state away from where the Grandfather died.
Part of the answer may be in what your son heard when the "hand" spoke to him. Did you ever talk about what was being said? Sounds like it was a comforting gesture from the discription although it frightened your son, most likely it was meant to do the opposite.
Since your phone company cannot trace the caller, and in this technology filled world it may not be to hard to mask a call, I'm just as stumped as to how to find out who the caller is. Maybe, if it happens again, just tell the silence on the phone, I love you mom, I'm ok. Your hunch is it was your mom, go with your hunch. My dad used to check in on me (the grandfather0 although he hasnt been around for awhile. It is thrilling as well as comforting when it happens.

Mabs_Sith_Lord (72 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-11)
Calvin's mum,

Hi! I have to say I was really freaked out by reading your story! Its difficult to say just who or what was making those calls - the thought that it could have been a spirit will send shivers down anyones spine! Yet when all explanations have been examined and you are left with no answer - the obvious truth is left glaring at you that it was indeed a spirit.

But the question now is not who, but why? Its difficult to say. It may be your mum, it may not. It could be a spirit stalker, yet all that matters now is your son. And we should listen to what our kids say - they are far more wiser than we give them credit for. And when your son says he felt a hand on his back - I for one believe him. But whatever it was, whatever it (the spirits) motives were, I hope it never bothers both you and your son again!

Take care, and I hope others on here could have more insight into this matter.

MABS SITH LORD

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: