You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Mildred And The Footsteps At 2:20 Am

Real Ghost Stories

Mildred And The Footsteps At 2:20 Am

 

Seven to eight years ago, my mother and step-father had just divorced. We moved into a new house, the place that my mother still lives in today. It was a rough time for the both of us, and moving into this new place was incredibly refreshing!

A very old woman had lived in the house before us. Her name was Mildred Olman, I'll never forget it. She kept the place very neat and tidy and had lived in the house for some 50 years. After doing a little research, we actually found out that this woman had died in the house in her early 90's before my mother bought it.

One night as I was lying in bed, I heard what I would describe as a groan coming from the end of the hallway outside of my bedroom door (which I always kept closed). I immediately jumped up and out of bed and darted into my mother's room, which was adjacent to mine. I knew it wasn't her, but I asked if she had said anything. She was asleep, and told me she didn't hear or say anything. We stayed up together for a while and she helped calm me down before going back to sleep. The sound was unmistakably the voice of an old woman, and I knew immediately that it was Mildred.

After this happened, for a period of a few weeks, I heard footsteps coming down the hallway every morning at exactly 2:20 am. It happened so frequently that I would routinely drop what I was doing and wait for the footsteps. Some mornings I would even hear a faint knocking on my door.

I've always been able to sense spirits, and I always knew that it was Mildred. I'm not sure if she was trying to communicate with me or just trying to make her presence known. I was never afraid, because I felt a sense of calm from her. She must have been a sweet old woman.

On other occasions I would hear faint voices coming from the living room, also early in the morning. My mother never heard them as I did, but she knows that I'm sensitive to these things.

Until I moved out for college, nothing else of the sort ever happened in the house again, but it sure was fascinating while it lasted!

Other hauntings by Medial

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Iowa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Medial, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AnkenyParanormal (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-02)
youre story sounds very interesting! My paranormal team and I would love to do a FREE investigation. If this is something you would be interested in, please contact us at ankenyparanormalresearchers [at] gmail.com
Medial (2 stories) (25 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-16)
Thanks DARK, I plan to have some more of my experiences up very soon.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-16)
Medial: I enjoyed your story it seems like Mildreds spirit is still going about her routines, she seems like a nice lady. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
Medial (2 stories) (25 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-16)
Thanks Jav,

I don't exactly find it hard to believe that things happen for a reason, but I've had experiences in every place I've lived. Seems to follow me around! My mother and I are definitely great candidates for good spiritual energy, But I couldn't say if she actually seeked me out, nor that I sensed that from her.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-16)
Medial,
Such a wonderful attitude you have, that IS refreshing! I think that you were in the right place at the right time. Mildred probably appreciated that very much. You let her have the house at her time of night, and it sounds like she took advantage of that.
Just out of curiosity, do you feel that you were somehow drawn to or directed toward that particular house way back then? I only ask because you seem so suited to be the ones to share your home with Mildred.
I loved reading your account of experiences very much. I hope to read more from you in the future.
Thank you for sharing.

Jav ❤
Medial (2 stories) (25 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-16)
Olivia1234- with all due respect, I don't really think you understand the nature of my experiences. All houses make a lot of noises that are easily dismissable, but not many houses speak. Familiarize yourself with the type of people on this website before you make assumptions.

I appreciate the thoughtful comments. There's a good presence about that house and I'm happy to hear your thoughts on it. I got a kick out of your idea, Miracles51031.

And zetafornow, I agree with your "images and sounds" theory. I've said it before and I'll say it again, energy seems to get trapped by emotionally charged moments. Maybe I was witnessing one of those moments.

There's a big difference between feeling and hearing a presence simultaneously, and "every unexplainable noise."

This comment from Olivia1234 is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-15)
great post thanks for adding it 😊
Agree with the other comments here, guess she was happy to see the new owners loved the house as much as she had and she decided to stick around a while longer.
Carl
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-15)
Another good story from you Medial! And a very sweet one, I like the idea that Mildred kept an eye over you and your mother, especially as you said you and your mother were going through a hard time then.

Thanks for sharing this
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-14)
Hi Medial:

Once again, I like these ghost stories. First off, I understand the ability to be "sensitive". It is a blessing in many ways, but not always. This lady, Mildred, seems to really like her house. I mean, she lived in it for so many years. Maybe she is just not ready to move on, we know how older people can be very stubborn as to leave their environment. It also could be sort of "images and sounds" of Mildred and she may have moved on. You, being sensitive, may have just picked up on some of her energy left in the house. Either way, nice story. Thanks.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-14)
stephy - I wonder that about almost all of the ghosts I've had. What keeps them here? Maybe in Mildred's case she still has family living and just isn't ready to leave them.

This story made me smile because I imagined her getting up every morning at 2:20 to go to the bathroom. Sorry, just that bad sense of humor I have LOL.

I love the ghosts like Mildred. She reminds me of My Ghost Named Mary.
stephyw2001 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-14)
How nice that you feel a sense of calm from her. I wonder why she would be a ghost? Perhaps just casually living with you, seeing a bit more of life, and watching the new family grow into her house gave her the peace she needed.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: