You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: A Surprise Call

Real Ghost Stories

A Surprise Call

 

I got a call from my dad telling me my grandfather was in the hospital up north and was not doing well. They were going to cut off his leg to try to save him, but it did not look hopeful. They didn't want me to come see him, and I couldn't talk to him so I sadly expected a call soon informing me that it was over.

I got a call, but it was my grandfather! He sounded chipper and upbeat, and I got to tell him my expected son was going to be named _____ (the same as him, my father, and me.) He said "well, that's a good name" and then he wanted directions to my house. I'm just realizing as I'm writing this that as I was giving him directions I was visualizing the trip from above as if flying over. I remember asking if he was going to visit, and he said if he got the chance he would come by. After the call I felt relieved that he was doing better and was even making plans to travel.

Then I got the call from my dad telling me my grandfather had passed. I told him we had just talked and that he had sounded so much better, but he said that happens sometimes right before someone passes. I was very sad, but found some comfort in the fact that I was able to tell him about naming my expected son.

At the wake I was speaking about the day he passed, and how he had called me that afternoon and sounded so much better, but someone pulled me aside and told me to stop talking about it, and that my grandfather had actually passed in the morning.

He loved to break the rules. I sure miss him.

Other hauntings by ccmerlin

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ccmerlin, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Siddhakaruvurar (1 stories) (7 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-08-28)
I am not a skeptic, but I would like to know whether you checked what number the call came from.

Yes I do have heard of final goodbyes, but something as long as telephone conversation I haven't heard of, guess you had a very strong bond with your grandpa.

Let him rest in peace.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-06-28)
Manafon,

I just shot you off an email mate.

Cheers!

0010100111001
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-06-28)
Daz--Thanks for the info. That's some heavy, heavy stuff. I wish I could've written you outside of this forum but understand privacy.

Life is fragile and even if the soul is resilient a sensitive heart sometimes doesn't have the armor to fend off the pain this existence throws at it. At any rate I wish your half sister healing. Of course that's one of the most difficult processes a soul surrounded by flesh experiences.

Best wishes.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-06-27)
Hi Manafon,

I'm happy to hear your reunion was such a blissful one and yes, usually they are wonderful moments of reunion where the family move forward on a positive vibe.

Unfortunately for my mother and sister it wasn't the case, my mother's oldest sister raised her as her own... When my mother ended up marrying my father they confronted my aunt about taking her back apparently she was so attached to my aunt they decided to leave her with them.

I guess that's the resentment my sister found hard to overcome why wouldn't my parents take her in?... As I said life is not perfect, my mother and father thought they were doing the right thing, my uncle and aunt were both quite wealthy and had a very stable home, my parents were only battlers living week to week on an oily rag.

When it all came out there were a few happy moments however not quite the happy ending as like on your own account.

Regards Daz
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-06-27)
Hi ccmerlin,

That's an interesting observation about the activity increasing over the last day or two, so I'm growing more confident in it being your grandfather validating his presence... You may also receive 3 knocks on the wall if your home is balanced via the energy field for him to take advantage off, so don't be frightened if you do experience these types of accounts.

Forgiving yourself is basically a metaphor for letting go and I think you understood what I meant by saying that and that strong feeling you had of letting go, is so good to hear for your own spiritual health.

Although I am familiar with those TV programmes I don't really watch television however ironically Australian survivor probably resonates with me, I too was abused as a child so letting go of the pain is not an easy thing to do... I do understand the suffering attached with it mate.

I am a big believer in spiritual growth and I>M>O, our whole experience here in the earth matrix is basically designed for it, having the courage and strength to let go of the hurt and pain via forgiving during our journey is the another step to spiritual enlightenment...anyway, Without holding on to a long note in an open forum on such a personal issue, I wish you all the best on your future travels and thank you for sharing.

Regards Daz
VeronicaMarie (5 stories) (106 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-06-27)
Mrs. Ramsay, I am fascinated by the face of your grandfather showing up in the picture. Did this just happen this past Easter, a couple of months ago? Talk about mind-blowing!
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-06-27)
Hi ccmerlin!

That's amazing! While you were responding to my question about whether you had been visited or contacted by your grandfather, something happened that was along those lines. Maybe, considering the question helped your mind to focus. Maybe an energy or spirit suddenly found it much easier to communicate with you after that. I think that some paranormal events are helped along by our own energy - like it enhances their ability to communicate more clearly, for good and bad intentions alike.

It is obvious to me that you are interacting with something that has good intentions. The fact that you have considered forgiving your father's wife and possibly closing a rift between you and your family can only be good for you. I hope it happens and I hope your father's wife wants to close the rift too.

And I don't mind if you call me Lealeigh or Maria... Lealeigh is my screen name; but, whenever I write a comment, it is usually a long comment. At the end, I feel like I have to sign it like I'm writing a letter - it's some kind of a compulsion with me. Either name is good.

- Maria
MrsRamsay (guest)
+6
4 years ago (2020-06-27)
Hi CCMerlin, loved your story. I too had a birthday call from my mom, though it was over a year after she died. When I answered the house phone (yes, we still have one!) at 7pm, it sounded staticky, and the tv caller ID had come up "CVS Pharmacy" so I just assumed it was one of my college kids needing money for a prescription or something. I asked, "Who is this?" and kept hearing, Mom! Mom!" but was unable to distinguish which of my girls it was. Then like a brick falling on me, I realized it was my dead mom ANSWERING ME! Then the line went dead. When I called back the Caller ID number, it was the CVS pharmacy located in a small town just north of our city where my parents had their lake house (SO STRANGE). The result of which is my theory that perhaps the lake house is like their heaven somehow and that was a hint to me that they're still tied to it! Who knows?!

The other thing I wanted to mention (and I don't know much at all about this stuff compared to anyone here, though trying to learn!) what I know beyond a shadow of a doubt is that when these supernatural or paranormal or spiritual (whatever you call them) things happen, parts of them can be seared into your mind, but other parts end up being fuzzy, so you second guess yourself, or you don't connect the dots until much later, in some cases years. I guess that's what they talk about as "clarity." I also have Christian friends who have told me that it says in the Bible that we're not really supposed to be reaching through the veil/vale or whatever. I don't know the precise verse or anything, but I figured some of that is reflected in the "fuzzy" memories. We are not intended to know it all, just glimpses. Maybe. Just enough to wonder if we REALLY saw what we think we did.

Last Easter we had the family to a big, outdoor picnic on our patio. I remember thinking at the time how good it was to have everyone together, our married kids back home, some with friends, also a mom and her daughter who had just lost their little boy, it was a real good gathering, JUST LIKE THE ONES MY GRANDPARENTS USED TO HAVE back in the 1960s when I was a kid in Nebraska. We took some photos and, lo and behold, in a streak of light in one of the photos, there is my grandpa's face, no doubt whatsoever! Though sometimes I wonder if I'm a little nutso for always going there, this is undeniable (joining many other undeniable things). The fact that you sort of only remembered the part about you naming your son after your grandfather is probably the thing he somehow emphasized to you as a way of telling you how much that means to him. The part about him already having passed, that's for YOU to dwell upon, but not the main part of the message. It's about your son's name and the honor you gave your grandpa! And did you unconsciously buy a home along the direct route? Hmmm. I bought my husband's cemetery plot and three years later, sitting at his grave, realized that on the street right at that spot in the cemetery, 14 years earlier, he had taught me to drive his stickshift truck and I'd jolted and spilled a drink on him...coincidence? I think not! I believe we're constantly getting messages and thoughts from our loved ones and maybe even our more distant ancestors, in the form of inspiration or even alerts. It's about slowing down to listen to them. All the best!
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-06-27)
Hi ccmerlin, I enjoyed reading your latest narrative but hope you don't mind me asking aussiedaz a quick question about something he wrote to you. Daz, you write of your half sister having no idea your mother was her biological mother and that, "she carried a lot of pain for many years and still does... Life is not perfect and she never felt as if she was truly part of our family and still suffers emotionally." As a guy who was adopted himself, my question is simply what was the cause of you half sister's suffering? I was lucky to have met my birth mother for the first time when I was 46 and subsequently to have formed a great relationship with her. I never suffered before that though as I had loving parents. I guess I'm just curious to know what her suffering was caused by?

I've always been grateful to my birth mother for not aborting me and for putting me up for adoption so a great couple could adopt me. Was your sister adopted by someone who was abusive? I apologize in advance if this is too personal but as you have no email listed on your personal page I had no other way of asking you this question.

On another note, I'm really happy ccmerlin has found solace in your words. I really love it when this site can serve such a useful purpose.
ccmerlin (2 stories) (16 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-06-27)
Hi aussiedaz,

Yes, your words are resonating. Yes, I have suffered. I was abused growing up and learned to escape to an altered consciousness often, but I don't think that was the connection. I think it may be something else.
I'm going through something where I live that started when I was responding online here over a day ago.
For background - something here communicated (not even sure if that's the right word) to me about a year ago how to fix a strong energy flow problem in my apartment by placing a mirror in a specific spot. When I described the problem to a Chinese medicine doctor of visitors actually walking into a corner as if it went somewhere she indicated that placing a mirror across from my front door should fix the energy problem. Same spot! I figured that was a good sign and have learned to embrace feelings I get here.
Well yesterday as I responded to Lealeigh's comment here something made a strong effort to be noticed is the best way to describe it reminding me that I had moved into the path of directions I gave my grandfather to my house where I was living at the time of the story, and I got a huge surge of a whole bunch of memories. Today (well, yesterday now I've been up all night) I felt like I was urged to say some peace about the woman my father had married, and that had worked hard to keep us apart after I found him. It was quite a strong feeling of letting go of it.
I don't know how any of this works, but I had an awesome day of going through old memories with something that really seems to care about me so if it/he has reached all the way to Australia to connect somehow then you must be pretty cool and worth it.

On another note with my unusual computer skills I have gotten myself hooked on Australian Survivor and Australian MasterChef all the way from California. Reynold is going to win this one! 😊
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+7
4 years ago (2020-06-27)
VeronicaMarie,

"He has your back" thank you for the leg in for the typo,lol... Yes you may be right, it's quite plausible my words are further clarity for ccmerlin... It's not the first time it's happened here at YGS, however I won't go as far to claim it's a practising gift of mine...lol

Taking it the hardest and by your own omission ccm you are the black sheep in the family? Hmmm, that's interesting.

Can I ask, (you don't need to answer this here) do you suffer emotionally from your disposition among your family origin? Perhaps your grandfather would want me to relay this to you if he is connecting my words to your reality and immediate future and if not, then I do apologise in advance.

Recognise the hurt, own it, forgive yourself before you start forgiving the others.

Anyway mate, whether this makes any sense to you or not, I will share this with you about my own family... I grew up to 20 years of age before I met my half sister who had no idea my mother was her biological mother... My mother gave birth to her when she was just 15 years of age and kept it a secret.

She carried a lot of pain for many years and still does... Life is not perfect and she never felt as if though she was truly a part of our family and still suffers emotionally.

She blamed my mother and I don't blame her for feeling that way. However, for my sister to fully heal she needs to own it and let it go, easy said I know,anyway... I hope if anything I said resonates then perhaps there is some sort of link?... Take care!

Regards daz
VeronicaMarie (5 stories) (106 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-06-26)
ccmerlin and aussiedaz, maybe I have gone far too woo-woo from endless lockdown, but I was entranced with how aussie said grandfather 'has your back,' and ccmerlin said that was a phrase his grandfather used to use. Almost seemed like there was a psychic connection between you.

And ccmerlin, I went to your story that you recommended. Fascinating stuff. The way you described that priest made me immediately think of Father Junipero Serra. (I went to Catholic school in California, so the missions he founded were a big deal.) So interesting that you saw the priest right after seeing another inexplicable scene.
ccmerlin (2 stories) (16 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-06-26)
Hi Lealeigh,
Or should I address you as Maria?

I thought you might like this: While I was writing my response to you yesterday (addressed to Maria) something interesting happened. I don't want to give too much away yet since I'm still unsure, but let's just say that I've been aware of something here in this place for a couple years, and while I was writing that response something happened that made me realize very suddenly that I had moved into the path of the traveling directions that I had given my grandfather.
Thank you for your question.
ccmerlin (2 stories) (16 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-06-26)
Hi VeronicaMarie

I'm realizing the past few years that things that had just seemed a little strange to me through the years were actually some remarkable experiences, and things that I thought were normal were definitely not.
I have had experiences since I was young, but have mostly ignored or forgotten about them, and am now piecing a lot of it together.
If you check out my first story you'll read how I didn't think anything of it for years before realizing. - https://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=27082
I'm hoping to have the story of my childhood "imaginary friend" written soon. Thinking back on some of this stuff can be painful and scary.
Not knowing all about this stuff makes me want to be even more careful when describing it, but I realize now I have something to offer which makes thinking about it a lot easier.
I guess what I'm trying to say in answering you is that for years I would tell people that I had told my grandfather what I named my boy yet forgot about the part that he had already passed because it was something I had learned to ignore and forget,... But things change.
Alina5 (3 stories) (136 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2020-06-26)
Hello Ccmerlin,

Such a heart-warming experience indeed. Your narrative reveals us the fact how our loved ones try to communicate with us in amusingly different ways. The phone call is one such example.

These narratives certainly strikes my conscience, after we moved to Delhi the daily hustle bustle of our lives rarely spares me some time to talk to the ones who I love the most (including my parents).

Imagining the fact, someday it'll be a last call or a last visit fills my heart with despair and utmost regret of neglecting these little happy talks of life before.

A beautiful narrative. Thanks for sharing.

Peace
ccmerlin (2 stories) (16 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2020-06-26)
Hi aussiedaz,

I missed out on a lot of time with my grandfather, but yes, he had a look, a way he smiled that really let me know he had my back... Plus he'd say that.
He gave me a whole Alaskan salmon once, and smiled saying "I've got your back" in a loving way that's really stuck out in my memory.
I was/am a black sheep in the family.
I lost them for over 20 years growing up, but as an adult found my father and his family again which kind of explains the importance of the name.
When I had missed out so much already losing them again was very difficult so you may be right, but I never really thought about whether I took it harder than others who had more history with him.
He always had a mischievous happiness in him that I think he recognized in me, also.
VeronicaMarie (5 stories) (106 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-06-26)
ccmerlin, that is an amazing story. I've always wondered what that feels like, knowing that you spoke to a loved one after they had passed, without knowing it at the time. Is it something that over time you just come to terms with? I've never had anything like that happen, and picture myself walking around forever after with my jaw dropped down to the ground.

Thank you for sharing that uplifting and hope-giving story.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+8
4 years ago (2020-06-26)
Hi ccmerlin,

Your father is correct when it comes to the 'uplift in spirit' during the last hours and even days prior to the crossing over of the soul... I do theorise that spirit exist outside of our physical body and no matter how mentally beaten down or physically limited the vessel is to illness, spirit just steps up to the plate and shines when it comes to the final goodbye as one famous theoretical physicist once quoted... ''Mind don't belong to body, body belongs to mind.''

There are many documented cases and studies of people so crippled with sickness doctors are completely baffled as in explaining how they do it anyway,

If he did call you after death that too is a phenomenon that occurs from time to time a very passive interaction to keep you calm... I do sense your granddad reached out to you probably because he knew you would take his passing the hardest? Take comfort in knowing we don't really die, we return home and his has your back.

Regards Daz
ccmerlin (2 stories) (16 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-06-25)
Hi Maria,
Yes, I did feel something weeks later but wasn't sure, and I moved into a bigger house 2 months later that was 45 minutes away, and not sure if that affected anything, but I've since happen to have moved into the path of the directions I gave him;)
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-06-25)
Hi ccmerlin,

What a wonderful story! I am guessing that he was diabetic. I love reading stories where loved ones call or contact and they sound healthy and happy.

Did you ever get the feeling that he did come to visit you after his death?

- Maria
Caz (342 posts)
+7
4 years ago (2020-06-25)
Hi ccmerlin, (great name btw)
I think it's wonderful you managed to have that chat with your grandfather after he passed. I doubt many people are so blessed! It must've put your mind at rest, to know he's ok in the afterworld. Thank you for sharing it with us!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: