You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Stomping On The Roof 2

Real Ghost Stories

The Stomping On The Roof 2

 

Since I had submitted my last story, it seems whatever had been causing the stomping has moved from my boyfriend's house to my best friend's house. This happened only last night.

I was talking on webcam with my best friend, ZgiZgi, doing our usual activities; working on homework, checking Facebook, looking at the various pictures of cats the internet has to offer. There was a pause on ZgiZgi's end, followed by banging. "BANG BANG BANG CRACK CRACK CRACK" Her dog began barking. ZgiZgi said, "Something was just on my roof..."

We discussed for a bit about what it could have been. There's only one tree in her yard, but the branches don't span over her roof. It was too big to be one of her cats. We ran out of ideas pretty fast. All we could think of was the thing on my boyfriend's roof, which we still are bewildered about and can not explain. It seemed like no matter what we could come up with, we just kept coming back to whatever was on my boyfriend's roof.

We continued on our regular routine, sending each other funny pictures to try to keep our minds off of scary things. It was around 1am. Suddenly, ZgiZgi gasped so loud, she woke her sister and her dog. Her dog began barking again, while ZgiZgi couldn't form any words. After a moment of panic, she blurted out, "I just saw eyes looking in my window!"

She went on to describe exactly what she saw. The eyes that she saw were an orange-red and near the size of golf balls. Whatever it was was very tall, at least seven feet tall, because the eyes peered in at the very top of her window. I'm also a bit confused as how it got in front of her window, because there's a large bush in front of it. She looked to see if it could possibly be lights from her neighbor's houses reflecting off of anything, but none of her neighbors had lights on. Her fiance and I tried to keep her happy and laughing so she could sleep soundly.

I'm really not sure what to think of the situation now. I've heard it's possible for spirits to follow you home from places, (ZgiZgi's fiance had a spirit follow him home from the Suicide Forest while he was stationed in Japan) but why would it follow ZgiZgi to her house instead of me to my house? Or is it something completely different that just happens to do the same thing? I'm very interested in any input that anyone has to offer!

Other hauntings by suneyedgirl

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, suneyedgirl, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

suneyedgirl (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-11)
Jav - I think I mentioned living in a desert, but not an exact location. There is definitely A LOT of strange paranormal activity in this area, but my town is so small, I was sure if I actually said the name of it, most people would be like "huh? Where?" It's good to have someone who actually knows something about my area.
I think part of the reason I was so shocked by Lou's comment is because it's so hard to tell a person's tone via the internet. Reading it through the tone in my head took me back a bit haha
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-10)
suneyedgirl,
One more little thing before I forget.
Before judging Lou's remarks or intentions, you might want to read some of his stories first. I promise you will come away with a whole new prospective. 😊

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-10)
suneyedgirl,
The reason we give you so many suggestions? Mostly for the process of elimination, really. It seems a lot at first, but that's the way you get to the bottom of things. Before declaring an event as being paranormal, all other possibilities must be eliminated. THEN, and only then, do you consider the paranormal as being the source of said event.
Also, I was born and raised in Southern California. I now live in Tucson, Az. And I am quite familiar with your area. If you had mentioned Death Valley previously, I don't recall. However, that does make a difference to those of us that know the place. The paranormal activity there is some of the most active you will find in Southern Cal.
I have a couple of things I would like to check into before saying anything further, but I will return.

Jav
suneyedgirl (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-09)
Jav - I suppose our biggest reason for not getting up on the roof is because of the structure of our houses. I've recently moved in with my boyfriend (maybe about a month ago) and these noises happen on a regular basis (even before I moved it, I witnessed the noises more than most of his other friends). His house has a low roof and his house is an odd shape, so you can see almost the entire thing from the ground, the entire roof if you stand on a table. And my friend's house has one of those triangular shaped roofs, so you can see an entire side from the ground. Also, in a situation like this, I know that I would be too fearful to get up onto the roof at 1am for fear of what I'd see or what tricks my imagination may play on me (I'm not the bravest haha). We live on the outskirts of desert near Death Valley, and I doubt that there are raccoons in my area (but there could be, I don't know for sure). We mostly have coyotes and lizards, with an occasional jack rabbit. But in the case that it is a raccoon, I'd hate to climb onto the roof with it haha. I appreciate your input:]

LouSlips - You sound extremely confident in your reply, as though you saw the scene yourself. I'm not meaning to sound rude (even if it comes out that way) but I was a bit taken back by your reply. My friend's roof actually extends out past her wall at a 45 degree angle, so if it were an animal, it'd be up too high/too far out to peek in the top of her window.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-09)
suneyedgirl,
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I've read both parts of this experience along with ALL comments in each thread, and I must admit to being a bit surprized at there being no mention of anyone really checking the roof itself. Has no one gone up there to check for any type of evidence? Or perhaps just watched from a higher location nearby?
I was a little surprised to read that your boyfriend was of the mind that it could possibly be a creature like the one known as Mothman.
I also wondered why, after all that he has told you about these noises, he hasn't tried to find the source of the stomping noises. And a couple of possibilities came to mind that I would like to share with you. Keep in mind that these are just guesses, and by no means am I accusing him of doing anything dishonest.
PERHAPS...
He already found out what was causing the stomping sounds but it made a good story. Especially if that story kept you from wanting to go outside after hearing them. This would mean you were more apt to stay at the house with him, instead of going home.
Once he saw your reaction to the stomping noises he had to choose between telling you the truth and risking you being even more upset at being played, or keeping the story alive by embellishing further instances and details onto what was once just an innocent ploy to keep you from leaving.
As I said earlier, these are just guesses made by a person that doesn't know either one of you. However, if it is a possibility, just remember that it was all done because he wanted you to stay.
ANOTHER PERHAPS...
Animals. Some don't need a tree to climb up there, just a boost.
Here's what I have witnessed about raccoons. They can grow to be quite large, especially if they are not hunting as much due to the close proximity of humans. We toss so much into the garbage that they cannot resist reaching in and taking advantage of the free meal. There are enough homes, even in a rural area like his, that raccoons could dine out every night. I've seen some pretty big raccoons that get even bigger once they go to an upright stance. And when you then notice the size of their claws? They can be pretty frightening.

Sorry for the length of the post,

Jav
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-07)
Suneyed,
It was not tall... It was hanging off the roof looking in. That is why the eyes were near the top of the window.

Lou
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-07)
I'm sorry, but I just can't get past the idea of one or two people just getting up on the roof and waiting. Every night for a week if you have to. Or maybe on a neighbors roof? Anything. But all this speculation, and no real attempt at doing what is called for in this situation, is gong nowhere fast.

Jav 😕
suneyedgirl (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-26)
Aussie - I hadn't even thought of the patterns of noises. That's very interesting. The figure was tall, in fact! She said the "eyes" were looking in at the very top of her window, and that's at least 7 feet tall. I think you brought up some really good points and I'll definitely have to research them more. Thank you!

Generalchaos - I've honestly never seen a raccoon where I live, but I've heard one or two accounts of them being seen. Where my friend lives, it's closer to the open desert, so there's usually more rabbits and coyotes. I would think the stray cats in her neighborhood would have had a scramble with a raccoon or something and we would have heard it, but I don't know too much about raccoon behavior! I think the only reason I would think it's something other than an animal is because of the figure she saw outside her window. Because I only saw everything through webcam, I can't be too sure or rule anything out. Thank you for your input:]
generalchaos (2 stories) (141 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-26)
Ok, call me a bit of a skeptic here, but we have the VERY same kinds of sounds (the master bedroom is on the top floor) and in our case, they are raccoons.
Yup. Really fat, well-fed raccoons. It's amazing how much noise they can make while they're running around.

I didn't believe it either until I finally SAW one. They live in the huge cedar in the backyard. Their eyes shine like a cat's eyes at night when a light shines on them, and they can get in all kinds of places, even on top of a bush. Dogs will bark at them, and they can climb without need of a handy tree branch.
We also get fat squirrels, and some really huge paired crows pop by every so often. (the crows are cute - they're a mated pair, and I think they've been scoping out our house for places to nest. I've seen them SNUGGLE while hanging out on our porch railing or the telephone wire outside).

Just breathe. It was probably an animal of some kind, and while I wouldn't suggest going outside to scare it away (even raccoons can be fierce), I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.
Hang in there:)
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-26)
The patterns of knocking noises that come in three's as you pointed out... Bang bang bang... Crack crack crack are interesting and usually a consistent method of communication when those in the spiritual realm are trying to come through for one reason or another... I think Rook has a point about the chances of reflections and you don't want to start imagining your experiences as something bad coming after you... Although another interesting point you made is the fact that your friend described seeing a tall figure?... Was that figure more skinny and dark?...reading other accounts here and listening to some people describing angels as very very tall, I would presume also that other entity's good or bad in the realm being tall could possibly be a defining point to those who work in order to the spiritual realm for what ever purpose or mission, perhaps we are not meant to see there faces? And mistakenly fear them as being bad... This is a really really long shot, take this experience as some kind of warning, figure out what's coming up soon in your life that has an element of risk and avoid it, especially any late night car trips... Those bangs and cracks you hear may just be a warning of some sort from one of these guides that look over us on a daily basis... Hope I'm wrong about anything bad happening.

Regards aussie
suneyedgirl (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-26)
Although she said that she looked for any lights that could have reflected and saw none, it could always be a possibility. Her neighborhood is usually very quiet and generally doesn't have people driving around at night, but it's not something that I'd rule out right away.

As for the noises, it sounded (to me, at least) like a grown man walking very heavy and the roof creaking underneath it. I'll ask my friend more about EXACTLY what she heard in detail.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-26)
suneyedgirl,

You stated your friend described the eyes she saw like...

"The eyes that she saw were an orange-red and near the size of golf balls."

Is there any chance that they may have been a reflection of a cars break lights as they slowed down or pulled into a nearby driveway?

Just an attempt at debunking...

The noises on the roof... That is a horse of a different color. Are there any more details that you can remember hearing, or that she can remember concerning the rest of this experience?

Thanks in Advance.

Respectfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: