You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunting In A Women's Refuge

Real Ghost Stories

Haunting In A Women's Refuge

 

First of all, let me tell you that before I had this experience, I was VERY sceptical. If someone had told me they'd seen a ghost or experienced paranormal activity, I would have laughed in their face! Until this happened to me.

I had been in a womans refuge for about 6 months with my 7yr old Son after a complicated relationship with a previous partner. During the first 6 months, we slept, ate and lived there with no problems whatsoever. We had our own bathroom and shared a bedroom, me with my single bed and my son with his bunk bed where he always slept on the bottom.

I tucked him into bed about 8:30pm and went into the shared living room to watch a bit of tv with the other residents, as usual, I went to keep checking on him every hour or so until it came to around midnight and I thought it best to go and get some sleep before getting up early the next day for the school run. I went down to my room and got into my night clothes and got into bed like any other night.

No sooner had I got into bed and turned on my right side, I felt something grab my ear quite forcefully, obviously I opened my eyes startled to see a white ball hovering above my bed. I closed my eyes and shook my head and opened them again and it was still there hovering. It was so bright!

Needless to say, after realising that I was not seeing things, I shot out of the bed and ran into the shared living area to inform my friends. No-one believed me and needless to say, I became laughing stock. After some discussion, I sort of got to the point that maybe it was my imagination (Even though I knew deep inside that what had just happened was definately not normal).

So I went back to bed, kept the tv on and wedged my door open so the hallway light shone in and although there was much tossin and turning, I eventually fell asleep. What happened from then on was absolutely terrifying.

Every night I got into my bed and got really relaxed and comfortable, my bed would start shaking! I started hearing something walk up and down my corridor, my wadrobe doors would open and close, if my foot was out of the covers something would touch it, my room would get hot all of a sudden to the point where I'd burn up. I informed the refuge manager of this, to which she would laugh and tell me that maybe it was the pipes making noises and I was imagining all this. I turned to my friends, they didn't believe me. I honestly felt like I was going mad! It was horrible. I was terrifyed and no-one would believe me. I wasn't sleeping because of the obvious and turned into a complete wreck!

One night, as horrible as it sounds, things were going on so I woke my son up and told him to get into the top bunk with me. I don't know why I did this but I just felt at the time, if I was high up and with my son that whatever it wasm wouldn't be able to get to me or him. How wrong was I?

Within the hour, I all of a sudden got uncontrollably hot, my son shot up from his sleep and started to shout 'Go away, please Go away, leave us alone'. I knew then that I had to get out of this room. I had my mobile under my pillow and texted my friend and asked her to come round to my room, she came straight round even though it was 2am.

I picked up my son and carried him round to the living room where he fell asleep and I told my friend what had happened again. After an hour or so, because I had been talking so much, I was really dry, I asked her to go get my bottle of coke which I'd put at the end of the top bunk (I always have a bottle of water/pop to drink in the night). She said yeah of course, nothing scared her or that's what she had said before she left to get it.

I heard the fire doors shut as she walked down to my room to get it. Next thing, I hear her running back down the hall. My friend was half-caste and when I saw her, she was as white as a sheet! She had tears streaming down her face. She couldn't speak to me at first as she was uncontrolable! After I calmed her, she said when she got to the bunk bed, she'd heard a man laughing, as if he was stood right next to her! Again, we stayed up all night, we couldn't sleep. We heard my hairdryer being switched on and off! As bad as it sounds, I was so thankful that someone else had experienced what I had been doing for weeks and thought that the manager would definately believe me now. How wrong were we again?

She said that my stories had rubbed up on my friend and now she had imagined things! I nearly flew for her, honestly. I could not believe that she would find this funny! From then on, I slept in my mates room, me and my son slept in the bottom bunk in her room. Nothing happened and I felt safe there until the Manager got hold of us sleeping there and said it was a fire hazard and that me and my son needed to go and sleep in our room from now on! I wanted to kill her literally. I was horrified! I didn't sleep that night again and went back to the managers office the next morning and refused to leave until she got a priest in.

She agreed to take me to the church and speak to him. He agreed to come to the refuge. He sat me down and I talked him through all the goings on to which he replied that because it was a place where there was a lot off depressed and negative thoughts that this was an easy place for spirits to be. He carried out some sort of 'cleanse'. I wasn't 100% with what he was doing but he lit candles and said prayers and scattered holy water! From the moment he left, it was like I was in a completely different room. It felt safe and the sun was coming in through the windows like it had never done before. It was strange! After a few days I had been rehoused so I was out of there pretty quick and I couldn't wait! Nothing has ever happened like that since!

Might I just add that there was a no alcohol or drugs rule, therefore I was totally and 100% with it in all my time of being in there. I was on no prescription medication or anything that might of caused me to imagine this! I know there is a lot of sceptics that would laugh at this, God knows, I was one myself before I experienced this!

Please, if you want to give an answer that can only be to laugh or be sarcastic at my expense, don't bother. I know what I saw and know that there is such thing as ghosts/spirits. All I ask that if anyone can maybe explain to me why this happened and if it's likely to happen to me again as from what I've read is if you have seen it once, you are more than likely open for them to come to you again. I hope not because this got me to the point of sheer madness!

Thank you.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, showgirls1980, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-03)
Hey showgirls, this is what the site is all about, to share stories with each other that other people may not believe and to give each other advice. 😊
I certainly believe you and am sorry that you and your son had to deal with that. I'm glad that one person close to you experienced it themselves, not to just experience what you had, but to have some conclusive reason to truly believe you. Going to your priest was the right thing to do and I'm so happy that nothing has happened since.
It's true, since you've experienced this, you may be more open to sensing spiritual presences, but don't be nervous. You have more control over this than you may think. If anything, use this experience to give yourself strength; you're not crazy and you have the power to protect your space and your son. I hope things go well for you from now on.
What everyone here has said about negative energy is true and I can only hope that the atmosphere around you improves.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-03)
My first thought that ran though my mind was the same as Scorp2011 and Indigo; that it was the spirit of man either linked to you or one of the other women (past or present). I'm glad that the priest listened to you and blessed the room. If you ever go back to that place, find out you the next person that is living there is and ask her if she experienced anything.

My second thought ran along the lines of Miracles and granny. I also thought it could have been the negative energy that was created by the emotions you and the other ladies brought in and the reason why it decided to scare you is because at that time you were more emotionally weak and therefore more "open" to the paranormal. This spirit might have picked on that and decided to mess with you.

I probably would have reacted the same as Javelina, if the manager and the others said that I was imagining it. But in their defense, I think the ladies that were staying with you were really scared and didn't want to experience the same thing as you because they were going though their own problems. Also, the manager might have said those things to because she didn't want you scaring her and the others so that nobody else came to the shelter. I'm not saying what she did was right but I think she was scared and at the same time she wanted to protect the place.

I'm glad that you are out of that place and on your own. I hope you and your son get a better life filled with good and happy memories. Like others, I will keep you in my prayers.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-03)
showgirl,
After what you had to have gone through just to be in a refuge? And then to have to woman who runs the place hand you that attitude? Makes me want to find her and bite her right in the face! What kind of people are they hiring?
Don't you worry about us not believing you hun. Most of us have been around and seen enough to tell when the experience is true. And I don't see any disbelief from this crowd.
I don't think it much matters to you anymore who or what it was, right? I'd feel the same way.
My prayers and good intentions go out to you and your son, and may something like this never darken your door again.

Thank you for trusting us enough to share what happened.
God Bless,
Jav ❤
ghostGuy (45 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-02)
Big open buildings are an inviting place for ghosts.
They aren't necessarily a problem the residents until they start bothering them. The priest did nothing more than to ask the entity to move on. Consequently, many ghosts will often crossover when they are coerced to leave.
If the problem were EMF related, there wouldn't have been any change in the building after the "deliverance". Sometimes there is a pre-existing EMF problem where the ghost will feed energy from the emissions but will vacate immediately soon after the "plug is pulled".
At least it's not your problem anymore.
Indigo (263 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-02)
James hit on the gut instinct that I had while reading your story. Had your partner, or the partner of one other house mates recently died? I had the general sense that it was one of the other peoples partners, not yours, but I could be mistaken. I think this one enjoyed instilling fear in others, and that he loved to cause a lot of pain. I also think that he didn't necessarily choose you and your son, I think he chose the room, instead, and had quite possibly chosen the room before you moved into it, even. I think that anyone that went into the room that he felt was 'weaker' than himself was a potential target to cause fear, which he used for his own personal energy source.
Scorp2011 (18 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-02)
Showgirls--Yup, scorn and dismissal are often the response from those who have never experienced "things." It does my heart good to hear a positive response from a priest, (listening, believing you, cleansing the space), and even happier to hear you cleared out of the room shortly thereafter.
Another possible explanation I throw out there is that perhaps it actually is/was an unhappy restless spirit of a former man. He may have been there a while until you he "found" someone like you who was sensitive to pull his pranks on. (Did your son pick up on more than what you told us?) And this is an outside shot, but IS your ex- still living?
Finally, I wonder if you would/could find out who is staying in that room now, and is she bothered? If so, you might comfort her.
Cheers to you on your fortitude. ~ James
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-10-01)
Showgirls: First of all, I have to say how sorry I am that you had to deal with all of the disbelief thrown your way...We've ALL been there 😆...But one way that I've found to come to terms with it, is telling myself that I know something they don't LOL...

I agree with Miracles that this being was probably a manifestation of all the negative energy present in the home, and just the fact that the priest believed you enough to bless your space more than likely made you feel pretty good, too, thereby bringing in even more positivity... Glad you're out of there, anyway... 😊
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-01)
I would say that rather than an actual spirit, what you were dealing with was a manifestation of negative energy. Whether it manifested in your room because of your emotions & thoughts, or maybe because of the person who occupied the room before you had left an unusually high concentration of negative energy, or maybe you especially empathized with your housemates, taking some of their energy into your room, it manifested there. When the priest came he replaced that energy with positive energy, which you immediately felt. So I would bet that room doesn't have any particular problems now.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+5
13 years ago (2011-10-01)
Showgirls1980 - I honestly believe what the priest told is you right. Because of the feelings of depression, sadness, anger, loneliness, despair, etc. All of these being negative feelings they evolved into a "man." I'm just going with my gut here, and I could be completely wrong, but I believe because you, your son and the other women and children in this refuge were here because of men, this is the form this being took. A man. Something y'all feared.

Everyone of you brought into that refuge some negativity, whether it was sadness or fear, whatever. But everyone brought something. Eventually it can build up into something like what you experienced. I can't imagine you, your son and your friend where the only ones to witness it. Maybe others never took it to the extreme you did to be believed. Normally I would say you are gifted, but under these circumstances that would hardly be a gift.

I'm very happy that you and your son have not experienced anything like this since and I hope you have found safety and peace in your life❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: