You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My First Experience At Work

Real Ghost Stories

My First Experience At Work

 

My first experience all started about 7 years ago when I was a teenager, about 17 years old. I lived, and currently still live, in a little town of Fairbanks, Alaska, one of the first American settlements in the great north. I was working at the "Pump House", a local restaurant that is a historical site; it was built in the 1890's as a pump station to send water upstream during the Gold Rush days. Needless to say now its a restaurant. Built upon the original building in the form of the restaurant.

One night, I was a dishwasher, I was done far later than usual. I was sitting in the bar having a drink with the night watchman (yeah yeah, don't judge) and we were talking, and I happened to look over for some reason towards the dining room, to which the bar was connected, and perpendicular to our sitting situation was the kitchen doors. As I looked over I saw a white figure, featureless as far as I could tell, coming out of the kitchen doors completely sideways. It just stared at me and I stared at it, I am not sure for how long, but for some time at least.

The night watch man finally said "Dom!" and I turned and looked at him, and apparently he knew something was up because he said "What did you see?" I looked back and it was gone. "You saw a ghost?" he said, all I could do was nod. We checked the entire pump house, all the doors were locked, no one else was inside except the two of us. The night watchman, told me of experiences he had, hearing voices, and even one he told me he got in a fight with a man late at night he thought was a burgler; they tossed and tumbled around the bar, until he pinned the man on the ground and he dissapeared under him. Now I don't know if his story was true, he was known to tell many a tall tales around the Pump House, but the way I looked and what he knew, it seemed like he knew exactly what was going on.

I never saw anything like that there again, but the place always gave that creepy feel, and ever since I stopped working there, I never went back again.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DrDomVonDoom, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-17)
Hahah had to have a laugh about having a fight with a ghost yeh that definitely was a tall tale. 😆

Sounds like a very interesting place I swear I have actually heard of this place before from someone elses experience there. I wouldn't be surprised if there was still residual activity happening within the building, it has had a long history.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
quixoticqt (5 stories) (104 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-14)
I missed going to school at the howard luke acadamy... Had to graduate in valdez *sigh*.
Thanks for sharing your story Dom. Never went to eat there before. My sister has because she always had sugar daddies *laugh*.
Online visual of the pump house:
Https://www.pumphouse.com/history.php

❤ Qt
TIGERKING (2 stories) (60 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-14)
i think that spirits are using more energy to stay hidden. If you can see them it's our energy that is being used. In my eyes absolutely everywhere has spirits. Its only that "haunted" places have a high concentration of spiritual energy and even the most sceptical can experience them.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-10-14)
White = Good

Black = Bad

Really? What if a Good spirit only has enough strength/energy to appear as a shadow?

I agree, the fight with a ghost was one of the watchman's tall tales... May have even told those stories for drinks...

However, all 'tall tales' seem to a true 'event' that they are based on. The history of the Property seems to lend itself to the possibly of it being haunted... Do you know of any deaths that happened on site... Either in the resturant or when it was actually the Pump House?

Respectfully,

Rook

This comment from TIGERKING is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-13)
I have heard a lot of paranormal stories that have taken place in Alaska and I would love to visit there some time. I think what you saw was really creepy. Since the building had a lot of history, I think it really could have been anyone, but it sounds like a lingering spirit of some kind.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: