You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Who Called My Name?

Real Ghost Stories

Who Called My Name?

 

I'm a long time reader of this site and although I have never posted one of my stories as I think they are rather boring; I had an experience last night that I just had to share, if only to get some insight.

I went to bed rather late last night and fell asleep on the couch with the TV off, I had been drinking but I don't feel that this contributed to my experience as this woke me out of an alcohol induced slumber!

My partner was asleep in another room at the back of the house and had not been drinking at all; unfortunately I have no idea of the time when I was startled out of my sleep, my heart pounding as I had clearly heard a man's voice from just outside call my name. All the lights were out and I knew it was beyond visiting time so I didn't get up to check. I was freaked out but knew that if someone really did want to get my attention they would call out again or knock on the door; I would have heard this if they did as I was quite close to the front door.

The voice did not come again and I was a little nervous, in my experience voices calling one's name in the middle of the night is not a good thing. I mean why couldn't they wait until the next day unless it was something urgent? So I put the TV on for some background noise and eventually drifted off again.

Now this could arguably be explained away as a fragment of a dream, if it were not so real a feeling and didn't wake me with such a jolt. Plus when I told my boyfriend in the morning about it and how it freaked me out, to my surprise he told me that as he was drifting off to sleep (no idea of the time) he also heard a man's voice clearly call out his name too!. So I guess yes in theory it could have been a friend tipsy from a night out or locked out of their house... But we live quite far out of town and a long way out of everyone's way and we don't know anyone locally. Plus knowing our friends they would not simply call out once and go away, we also both have mobile phones that they could have called or they could have done the normal thing and knocked on the door!.

Then on further questioning my boyfriend revealed that the voice he heard sounded like it was right in his ear! The back room he was in is set into the hillside a little so it would be difficult and inconvenient to climb up to the window to talk into it. Dogs also tend to bark at night in response to sudden noises and a person would have to walk past several of these to get to our place, there was no barking.

We are both a little unsettled by this, especially being that it's Friday the 13th! Even though we are generally not the superstitious type we did throw around some ideas, such as, a crisis apparition? Maybe someone that knew us both was in some kind of trouble?, yet the voice did not sound distressed, nor has anything happened to anyone that we know of. Anyway I would love to hear others thoughts and theories on what this could have been, dual hallucination?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Nikki_77, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2012-11-17)
Crestal - I just clicked on the site Isolde provided and it took me right there. Perhaps if you tried again? If not, try typing it. Or just google the information you want to research.
Crestal126 (74 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-17)
Um isole well the website you are referring to has changed and I can't read it -.-

So if you or anyone else please tell me
Isolde (guest)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-13)
Crestal, just google it. For example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_the_13th
Crestal126 (74 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-13)
Hey since I'm really not allowed to find out about this stuff, but what is the story of Friday 13th?
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-21)
Its a good story. I feel that it is a paranormal experience and not the voice of any friend or passerby as you have told that the barking of the dogs were not there. It happened to me also quite a few times. Keep your senses awake and you will experience a lot more. Nice story that you have shared. Don't feel scary. Cheer up and its a good experience.
Petersspirit (4 stories) (144 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-20)
Hi Nikki 77,

I've heard voices many times to. On the street someone calling my name while there was not a familiar face to see as I looked around. A friend of mine who sees ghosts told me that its their way of making contact with us or just play with us. Though it is scary enough hearing a voice in the room! Thank you for posting, very nicely told.

Greetings,
Peter
creepydog (3 stories) (71 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-20)
Hello my name is Ellie. That was a good story. I think to could have been a spirit yes. But it could have been your boy friend sleep talking. And saying he heard it too to give you a fright. 😲
Nikki_77 (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-20)
thanks everyone who commented, after being a reader for so long it's exciting to finally have a story posted! I might just have to post my "boring" story now and I'll make sure to read those other experiences of you guys also experiencing the disembodied voice phenomena
HauntedTomboy (17 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-19)
Or well its good hear about someone else who hears someone calling your name. 😳
HauntedTomboy (17 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-19)
Thanks your story is very much like mine. I was so relieved to now that I'm isn't the only person out there hearing voices! 😳
xXelliemayXx (10 stories) (164 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-19)
Haunted Tomboy,
You get an email to notify you if your story have been published or not.
When you submitted it you get sent a copy o your email with what to expect next in.
Refer to that for more info 😊

Hope this helps

xXelliemayXx ❤
xXelliemayXx (10 stories) (164 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-19)
Most of the things I would have commented have already been suggested.
I just wanted to say that I love your story and to get your "boring" ones onto the site... They might be more interesting than you think 😉

Thankyou for sharing,
xXelliemayXx ❤
HauntedTomboy (17 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-18)
Whoa scary I loved your storie by the way where given notice berfore your storie was published? Or was it just there on the websight. Love your stories! ❤ 😁
luckyperera (1 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-18)
hey nikki I love your story, its awesome. I love to read more of your stories... ❤
Nikki_77 (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-18)
Hi all and thankyou for commenting!

Anneke; haha! Those days are long gone, plus I doubt he would have called out to my boyfriend too!

Rook; when I said visiting hours I meant that it was past midnight and we are in a semi rural area, it seems unlikely to me that someone would visit at that hour unless there was trouble. I haven't kept a journal as such but have written down my previous and probably unconnected other experiences. We are housesitting for a couple overseas, the lady in this couple is Chinese and apparently believes there may be something here, she has little ornaments all over that supposedly ward off spirits, my boyfriend puts it down to her being from a superstitious culture, nothing has ever happenned to us here before and we have been housesitting for about 2 years. This is a new house.

Darkness; I am in Brisbane, Queensland on the outskirts and semi-rural. But now that you ask I am starting to recall more info, there is an historic graveyard down the road which is no longer used from white settlement days!.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-18)
G'day Nikki 77: I have to ask have you had any other things occur to your boyfriend or yourself, or are they the other "boring" occurences? Rook has recommended some good ideas, also have a look into the history of the land and house. Perhaps this could shed some light on to this occurence. Can I ask where abouts you live in Australia, I currently reside in Perth WA and love to hear of hauntings in Australia. 😊

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-18)
Nikki,

Without more information it's hard to say what this might have been... It may even tie in to some of your other 'boring' experiences. May I ask where you live as you mentioned it has visiting hours? Have you kept a Journal about your experiences? If so they may help to identitfy what you experienced... If not you may want to start... It could prove useful in determining what is going on. Thanks for sharing this with us, please keep us updated.

Respectfully,

Rook
LadyTarantula (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-17)
something similar has happened to me too. While lying in bed at night, almost asleep but not quite, I heard a child's voice in my ear say 'mommy'.

It was quite unsettling, and it was not one of my children, they were all fast asleep.
zelda124 (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-17)
things like that happen to me all the time. One time I had a ghost tell me there own name.
Stezz (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-17)
I have had a similar experience apart from the fact I was in my room and my parents were asleep. I heard someone or something:P call out my name in complete clarity, I have also heard loud breathing and when I was younger I was always heard my name being called but I dismiss it as my mind playing tricks on me because that is what it sounds like but that time was different, it only happened once.
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-17)
Hi Niki
At a certain time in my life I also heard a man's voice calling my name. Read my experience
'My freaky life 2'. It could have been nothing serious, but you never know for sure, except if it happens again. You sure it wasn't a guy that likes you that came looking for you? I once was asleep in the middle of the night and heard someone calling my name from outside. My room was in the backyard, and there was 6 foot walls around the house. But that didn't keep this guy outside that was calling my name. It was a guy in school that liked me and his friends! I got so cross, I called my father and he jumped out of bed, and went outside. Never again in my life have I seen guys running so fast! 😆
Just thought to tell you this, to lighten up your day ❤ ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: