You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Bullet Of Proof

Real Ghost Stories

Bullet Of Proof

 

I am not sure where my story went that I wrote about two weeks ago, I guess it got lost in translation...

Here it goes again.

Let me first tell you about a subburb in Cape Town called Epping, Ruyterwacht.

As soon as you put foot into Epping you just know there is something not quite right.

It is old, but not like in beautifull Victorian, just...old, nothing pretty about it.

But the feeling I get when passing through is very odd. I can just feel spirits in the air. When you enter Epping, there is a very big traffic circle. In the circle is a large piece of grass, and in the middle of that - a grave monument... It is said that there is a woman buried there. I never went to look for myself, it is very creepy, and no parking space nearby. They say if you drive by at about 12h00 at night and look behind you, you will see a woman in a long white dress following you. It doesn't matter how fast you drive, she will still be behind you. And the moment you are past the circle, she will vanish. I never saw it myself, it is just the stories I have heard from different people in the past.

The reason I am giving you this info, is because years ago my family was invited to a new years eve party in Epping. If I remember correctly, the street's name was Princess Margaret Avenue. The hostess was friends of my mother's niece and was already living there for almost her whole life. The house was nothing to look at, it rather looked like a little railway house, very dark inside and musty. Most of the people were having quite a good time and just before new year the champagne was opened and everybody got ready to wish each other luck with the new year. Just as soon as the countdown was finished, the people heard a very loud gun shot in the guest room. All of them charged to see what was going on in there. But there was absolutely nothing there...

The hostess calmed the guests down and explained what happened. She told that each year, the same date, the same time, a gun shot can be heard inside the room.

Years ago, a policeman found out that his wife was having an affair. He confronted her and one thing lead to another and he shot her and then himself. Then she pointed her finger to the roof and showed the guests a bullet hole. When the man shot himself, the bullet went through him and hit the roof... Where the proof can still be found today.

No one knows why this scene plays off every year, except for the fact that he shot his wife and himself on new years eve, just after 12h00. Perhaps a residual haunting?

Other hauntings by anneke8

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, anneke8, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cloudzuc (9 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-25)
Hey Anneke... I know what you mean about Epping. I went there for a job interview recently and as I drove into Epping, I already knew there was no way I was going to take the job, hehe. And I'm guessing you're right, probably residual ๐Ÿ˜Š Cloudz
Angelique88 (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-09)
I have read Anneke's posts. I am from Ruyterwacht and yes indeed it is a reepy place. The time that I lived there we became poor, evil and unhappy people. Evil lurks in the soil there. There are many more murders and suicides that took place there. Saldanha Street our neighbour shot himself because of his unfaithful wife. Accross us in texel street a woman killed herself, her son and her dog because she had an affair the Devona's dad. IN Princess Elizabeth street a girl khung herself for her mom to find because she had an abortion and fell pregnant again and couldn't handle it. Eping makes people die. As for the grave in the middle they took the barracade off now. The grave in the middle was Zerilda Steyns. She created Epping for the poor white people to rent. When she died they started selling the properties instead of following with her plan to help the poor white people of the community. The big parking lot accross the road belongs to the flats. It use to be doctors offices. The flats are haunted. The patients who dies sit on the edge of your bed while you sleep.
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-25)
Wow, to meet 2 new friends that actually used to live there. The street was Princess Margaret I think.
SpiderZA (2 stories) (81 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-13)
I used to stay in Ruyterwacht, my Dad still stays in Texel street. Never heard those stories though...
ashville (3 stories) (42 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-13)
I work in Epping! I have had no experiences as of yet, but it is definitely not the prettiest place to work at.
It is spooky though, and dingy. I work in a clothing factory. No bad bad vibes that I can pick up, but people don't like staying here late at night, but I think that is more to do with it being unsafe.lol

Thank you for your storey, I'm new here:)
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-13)
Jav, ha ha Shotgun Shacks, first time I hear something like that! ๐Ÿ˜†
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-13)
anneke8,
I love this one! In the southern United States we call those houses "Shotgun Shacks" because you can fire a shotgun at the front door and it will go out the back. It seems to fit for that one too!

Jav ๐Ÿ˜†
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-13)
Crecentblue - It looked like the hostess was quite used to this, she lived there a long time.
Granny - The hostess doesn't live there anymore. I guess if she did, we would have partied there more often ๐Ÿ˜Š
Miracles: I don't think it was a planned thing.
I guess the policeman came home from his shift just after midnight new years eve and found out about his wife's affair. Perhaps the lover just left. I don't think he caught them together, because why shoot his wife and not the lover? Nothing was planned though, and after he shot her and then himself, it must have been VERY traumatic for him.
Fergie - A very BIG BANG to start the new year
๐Ÿ˜Š
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-12)
Hi Anneke, Is that 'starting the New Year with a bang'? ๐Ÿ˜† Sorry about that, I know it was not supposed to be funny.
You make me feel as if I would like to go there to see for myself! Those poor guests, they must have had quite a shock. It is a good thing that the hostess knew what had happened in that room, and had a ready explanation for the people. Does the shot get heard from outside the house too? I was thinking, maybe someone might call the police, but at New Year, there are so many bangs, nobody would really notice, would they? ๐Ÿค”
Thanks for another great account โค
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-11)
anneke8- my thoughts are with Moongrim. Only one gun shot? Which leads me to wonder which scene is being replayed each year. The murder or the suicide? It does "sound" as if it's his suicide. Sorry, couldn't help myself ๐Ÿ˜‰. It's not humorous by any means. Tragedy never is.

Perhaps, and I'm struggling here so bear with me, his emotions were so strong that he is the only one trapped in time and that's why his suicide is the only event being replayed. Without any supporting evidence of a murder/suicide, however, there is nothing to back any of this up, so it's pure conjecture anyway.

Good story, nevertheless.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-10)
anneke: Creepy! But what a way to throw a party ๐Ÿ˜†...I'm wondering if your friend celebrates New Year's Eve there every year?...
crecentblue03 (151 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-10)
Wow a residual, to think this woman hears this every year in her home that's a sobering thought. No matter how loud your party is you would still hear the gun shot REALLY CREEPY!. Thanks for sharing!
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-10)
Hello Moongrin,
Yes only one gunshot. I'm not sure wich one it is, but I think it must have been the one that killed himself, when the bullet hits the roof.
I'm trying to find something on the web about murders in Ruyterwacht, Epping, but can find nothing. Don't realy know WHERE to look... ๐Ÿ˜•
Casper, yes it litteraly is a new year with a bang
๐Ÿ˜จ There is many people who heard this, and is still talking about it today still.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-09)
Most intriguing. The man shot his wife, and then shot himself?

Yet folks report only ONE gun shot?
Casper_the_ghost (9 stories) (180 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-09)
Now there's a countdown with a bang! Who needs champagne! Your hostess should of told her guests beforehand, although it sure is an exciting story to tell. Was it anything to do with the woman buried in the road? Maybe it was her?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: