You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Chasing Bad Boys Away

Real Ghost Stories

Chasing Bad Boys Away

 

When this experience first happened, I was annoyed and afraid; but now that I look back, I'm wondering if it was really poltergeist activity or a helpful spirit.

Here's what happened: It was about three years ago, when I was around 16-years-old, and I invited my (now) ex-boyfriend Ryan over to my house. We had just started dating and I was in that awkward stage where I wasn't sure how to act (I never dated before, never even had a crush). We ended up sitting in my room on my bed watching a movie - some old episode of Mystery Science Theater 3K, I think.

I sat close to Ryan, but he didn't seem to want anything to do with me. He just stared forward the whole time. Then, he finally spoke up and told me he felt a cold chill. I tried to put my hand on his arm affectionately, but he shuddered and pulled away like I had tried to hurt him or spread some contagious disease.

It was just then that the television went black and wouldn't turn back on when I tried the remote. Upon further inspection, I found that both the TV and the DVD player had been unplugged and, when I plugged them back in, started up only for a few minutes before they both quit again. This happened over and over within the next half hour, even after I had rearranged the wires and checked for possible snags. I plugged the cords in several different outlets, thinking it was a problem with the extension cord, but no matter what I did, the TV still went out every few minutes. The volume started to fluctuate; first silent, then loud white noise, until finally, Ryan got up and left.

When I got home from dropping him off at his house only a few minutes away, I found my bedroom arranged very strangely. There was a box in front of the door, the TV was turned around facing the wall, and the blankets on my bed were all messed. On top of all that, my lamp, alarm clock, radio, and TV were all unplugged.

I never asked my mother if she was in my room, but it would have been unlike her to play a joke on me and not be curious about my reaction. She didn't seem to know a thing about it. So, I fixed the plugs one last time and turned a movie on before bed. I fell asleep in the middle of it, and when I woke up in the middle of the night, the DVD was still playing. No problems at all.

This pattern of activity continued for about 10 months while I was dating Ryan, and during that time I found that he was prone to angry outbursts and often verbally abused me and publicly humiliated me with degrading comments. After almost a year with him, I found out that he had been seeing another girl for the majority of our relationship. He asked me to be his girlfriend out of pity, and stayed with me as a joke between him, his friends, and his alternative girlfriend. Together, they ruined my high school experience.

I'm realizing now that perhaps the paranormal activity surrounding Ryan's visits weren't a pest at all, but some kind of warning. The activity has continued ever since, but this kind of mischievous behavior stopped and hasn't returned.

Almost four years later, and I haven't had a problem with my TV or DVD player since. Ryan, also, hasn't shown his face anywhere around me. I don't know if the spirits in my house were protecting me, or simply protecting their home from dirty scum like him. Regardless, I find the whole situation pretty funny when I look back on it.

It's curious how things turn out sometimes.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SqueakyGirl5, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-05)
Don't worry Squeaky, It's better to keep yourself for that someone Special! They say 'every pot has it's lid' 😐
My eldest daughter is 44 already, & still not married!
She always says that Mr Right, has not come along yet.
Glad to know that your spirits are still taking care of you. ❤
SqueakyGirl5 (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-05)
Well, Fergie, I actually haven't dated since. I know it's been almost 4 years and I'm 20 now, but I just haven't met anyone who was interested in me. Then again, I'm so socially awkward, I hardly ever meet people anyways. XD
But I know spirits are still there, and sometimes I'm glad for their company. Fortunately, most of my encounters are mild and non-threatening.:)
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-04)
SqueakyGirl5, I hope by now, you have a nice boyfriend that the spirits approve of. I hope the spirits are still around to guide you; they sounded,'cool' & helpful. Had any more experiences with them? 😉
Scbsd (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-04)
SqueakyGirl5, you say--"The activity has continued ever since, but this kind of mischievous behavior stopped and hasn't returned."

It's still happening? What kind of activity?
SqueakyGirl5 (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-02)
Thanks for the replies! And Fergie, you're too right; I was too stubborn and teenage-angsty to think that anything could go wrong, but it feels kind of good to think that someone else--even if they're a ghost--cared enough to at least try helping.:)
Everyone should have a personal warning-ghost, I think.:)
Jesus_soldier (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-01)
Everything does happen for a reason 😆. This was a great story. People will start looking for supernatural warnings when their around a new boy/girl now. Thanks for sharing
HappySpirit (187 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-01)
Great story Squeaky! I am so glad you are rid of such an immature and abusive person. His girlfriend sounds like a real piece of work. Idea: the paranormal phenomenon could also have been produced by your own psyche - aka a poltergeist phenomenon - because you subconsciously sensed that Ryan was toxic. Does that ring true for you?
Casper_the_ghost (9 stories) (180 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-01)
I applaud that ghost! Either it was protecting you from jerks like Ryan or maybe it just didn't like plugs... It could of been a ghost from 100 years ago before technology came into play and was urging you to read a book or go outside. Thanks for sharing.
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-01)
Wow, Ryan sounds like a big JERK. I will never understand why teens are so mean sometimes. AND what teenage girl would allow her boyfriend to date someone else even if it was a joke. These people sound like they have problems. I wouldn't let it take away from your "WHOLE" highschool experience though.
What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. I think most people have dated a big O'JERK and have lived and learned. I know I have.
Lucky for you, you have some ghosties trying to chase these sort of people away for you. Hopefully the next boy toy you bring into the house is a good one but at least you'll know if he isn't...lol
Loved your story!
Missy
😁
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-01)
Squeaky, I too, would have liked to have had a ghost such as this, when I was a teen! The other question being; would I have taken notice? Do teens really listen? At that age, we all feel 'all knowing & invincible', or was it just me?
herohead (2 stories) (61 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-01)
Indeed a ghost like that could have been usefull in my teens.
I like this story very much, and I'm happy to see that you can look back at it with a laugh.

:) Hero
H05VV-F (10 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-01)
i agree with miracles too. The spirit wanted to warn you of Ryan through electronics. Something you use in your daily life.
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-01)
SqeakyGirl5, that is a great story! I agree with Miracles, I think there was a spirit who was trying to warn you about Ryan. It seems too coincidental that the strange happenings ceased after you stopped seeing him. And I'm sorry that you had to experience a terrible relationship like this that ruined your high school years. If only I had a spirit that warned me of some of the horrible guys I have dated over the years I might have saved myself a lot of heartache lol! 😆
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-02-29)
SqueakyGirl5 - I love you story! Reminds me of another favorite of mine. If you're interested in reading it, here's the link: http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=11164. You might find it interesting 😉

Anyway, I think your ghost (s) were definitely trying to run Ryan off. Shame it took 10 months though 😆. Seriously, I do think they/he/she (that is always so confusing LOL) knew what he was like and were trying to get rid of him for you. I'm sorry you had to go through what you did with him, though.

I've told my 19-year-old daughter a thousand times, I'd never want to be a teenager again. NEVER!

Great story and I'm glad you shared it with us. Thank you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: