You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Billy, One Of A Kind

Real Ghost Stories

Billy, One Of A Kind

 

Billy was one of a kind! He was my husbands' friend, and a constant visitor at our home.

My husband met him sometime in the early 70's. He wasn't like anyone we had ever known before! He was a 'showman' and ate razor blades and did fire eating, to entertain people. He was an extrovert, and laughed and joked with everyone.

He loved to tell the story, about how his father was his grandfather, and his brother was his uncle! Yes, I know; I was puzzled too, by that statement! The mystery was cleared up; when he told us that his grandfather had adopted him. (Phew... For a while, we had some very strange thoughts!)

One day, before I knew about his peculiar diet, he came to our house, asking if I had an old light bulb that had 'blown'. It so happened, that I did! (Strange; but true.) I handed it to him: he then proceeded to break it, then chew it up and swallow it. He washed the chewed glass down with a tumbler - full of water. I had never before witnessed anything like this. I am sure that my jaw dropped!

One evening, in summer, Billy was booked to put on a show. It was to be held at one of the halls at our local stadium in Randfontein. Billy's assistant had called in sick. The occasion was a 21st birthday celebration, and Billy didn't want to disappoint the people. He turned to me for help. He said that my height and build (5"3' -105 pound) was exactly what he needed. I hesitantly accepted the offer. When we were 'dressed', we looked like something out of "Aladdin". I was very self-conscious in my skimpy attire.

Never-the-less, I held up bottles and hessian for all to see, that there was no trickery involved. Billy rolled the bottles up in the thick hessian and proceeded to break them with a hammer. He then laid the hessian on the ground, unrolled it, and spread the glass over the surface. He lay on the ground, so that his back would cover the broken glass, giving a dramatic sigh (as if he were comfortable). He then asked me to stand on him. I gingerly placed one foot on his chest, then the other, on his stomach. (I think I was shaking!)

Well, needless to say, when I got off, and Billy stood up, he was unscathed. To the delight of our audience, Billy went on to eat razor blades and a piece of glass. He ended off the show by doing fire eating and flame throwing. (At a later date, he taught my husband and I, to do this 'trick'.)

During the time that my husband and Billy were friends, they developed a strong rapport.

The first time that my husband told me to "put on the kettle, Billy is on his way"; I took it as a joke. We didn't own a telephone at that stage, so, unless prior arrangements had been made, there was no way of knowing. Billy duly arrived a few minutes later! I soon learned that when my husband told me that Billy was on the way, Billy would arrive within minutes. They got to the stage, where they seemed to think the same thoughts, feel the same feelings, and know what the other was doing. (Not ALL the time, but most of the time.)

One day, as we were coming back from Krugersdorp, my husband suddenly said, "There is something wrong, with Billy!" I asked him "What?" but he could not say. We made a detour past Billy's flat, but the door was shut, nobody was home.

A short while after we arrived home, another friend of theirs', stopped by to tell us the tragic news. Billy was dead! Billy had been cleaning a rifle in his bedroom, when a shot rang out, shooting him through the head. The other friend speculated; was it an accident, or was it suicide? We were all in a state of shock!

That night, my husband got the answer! As we lay sleeping, my husband awoke to the feel of someone sitting down, on the foot of our bed. He says that he felt Billy's presence, and got a warm feeling of 'everything is okay'.

The next morning, my husband told me of Billy's visit in the night, and said with great assurance, "Billy didn't commit suicide!" I believe my husband.

Billy, One Of A Kind 1
Billy, One Of A Kind 2
Billy, One Of A Kind 3
Billy, One Of A Kind 4
 

Thank you for reading

Other hauntings by Fergie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Fergie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ConfederateGhost (16 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-02)
Yeah too right Billy The Kid was one of kind as well, a bit like you. Cheers for the excellent read. 😁
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-15)
Oh that's so sad my friend...It's so strange how accidents like this can happen. It let me feel that it was his time if you know what I mean. Very sad indeed Fergie. Take care. Trix. ❀
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-13)
Hi Trix, Thank you. It was determined later, that Billy was cleaning his rifle, when he accidentally shot himself. Apparently, a bullet had somehow got lodged in the barrel.

Yeah! Crazy notion - don't throw your old light bulbs away - just give them to Billy!

Thank you for reading, and your comment my friend.
Liefies vir julle.
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-13)
Hi Fergie, first I want to say-sorry for the lost of your dear friend...I'm just wondering that if your husband claims that Billy didn't commit suicide do you think it was an accident or do you think someone shot him with his own gun? Thanks for sharing these photos. It's amazing! I can just imagine how it must feel if someone changes a light bulb and eat the old one at the same time... That is crazy. Take care Trix. ❀
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
Miracles, thank you. It was great to be able to 'introduce' Billy to all you good folks. 😁

He was a 'once in a lifetime friend', and we will always have fond memories of him. 😊

R.I.P. Billy, we love you! ❀
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
Thanks Pjod. Back in those days, cold-drink didn't come in plastic bottles. But yes, you even got your deposit back on those bottles... 5c maybe? They were nice, thick glass... Just right for the job, Billy told us.
That was the type of glass that Billy lay on, when I stood on him.

One crazy, but lovable dude, that was! πŸ˜‰
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
Fergie - glad to finally meet Billy after all this time 😊 I'll admit, I didn't go back and reread his entire story again. Just the beginning to refresh my memory of him, but it was enough.

I'm glad you submitted his pictures. Thank you 😊
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
Those old coke bottles he's taking a hammer to- Collector's pay some $$ today... Hey, nice pics. 😁
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
Lol Granny, maybe there is something in their mouths and stomachs, that we haven't got? Billy never told us his secret... πŸ˜•
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
Fergie: YAY! 😁 Your pictures are up!...Very interesting, I always wondered how these guys were able to eat the things they do... Cool beans 😊 ❀
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-10)
Krys, you are right. Ray has never 'connected' with any-one else, like he did with Billy. Some times, it was downright scary, especially in the beginning, before I got used to it. They noticed it themselves & would 'test' it out! They would start out, back to back, and walk away from eash other, while I watched. They would both turn, at the same instant, and face each other. They did this time & again, never being out by one second! It was amazing.
Thank you for your condolences, we still miss Billy, thinking of him often.
KRYSTALLIA (64 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-09)
It's wonderful how some people connect... I am so sorry for your loss... Sounds like Billy was a remarkable person...
Thank you for sharing this experience...

Krys
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-16)
Isandhu; TheLurkingUnknown; Taz, Critical_Gamer, Thank you for your comments & sympathies, Billy truely was one of a kind.
He is still sorely missed. It was truely wonderful that he came back to let Ray know that all was ok with him, that we should not worry, that he was at peace.
It was such a waste of life, but we must learn to roll with the punches. Life is a strange game, & often has no rules. We must learn to play it, no matter what the out-come. 😲
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-16)
Zzsgranny, Thank you kindly for your comment.
I agree with you 100%, those 'Tricks' should never be tried at home, not even by adults (I know a few who would be stupid enough to try it) πŸ€”

I totally agree about Ray & Billy having a unique relationship. Never, since Billy, has Ray found a friend like that!
Strangely, the friend that came to deliver the sad news, died tragically in a car accident, some years later.
The moral of the story being, cherish the friends you have, while you still have them!
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-16)
Hi Jav,

Talk about timing?

So sorry to hear of your daughters friend. No, never assume the worst, accidents happen so quickly! Leaving us all in a daze.

We were on vacation for two weeks, visiting our middle daughter & family. Their computer was down, so I didn't even know that our story had been published.
I am so happy that our story could have helped someone. That makes me feel that Billy did not die in vain.
Condolences from Ray & Fergie

~Side note: I found out that all 3 of our daughters have had something out of the norm happen in their lives! And, I have their permission to write about it all!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-15)
Fergie,
I'm so glad you're back! You're experience has come into my own life, well actually my daughters life, as a reminder that you shouldn't assume the very worst when something like this occurs. Just last week a very good friend of theirs was found in the same condition as Billy was. They were very upset, of course, and had assumed the worst of the situation. I showed her your story and reminded her that her friend hadn't left any note, so not to think is was done on purpose. It did help them. Thank you Fergie. ❀

Jav ❀
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-15)
Jav,
My friend, you have managed to say the words I could not find! Thank you, in all sincerity, for a wonderful tribute to a very deep and wonderful friend-ship that was too brief. Thank you too for the link to that lovely song, we know Billy would not mind at all.
Gee, Jav, if you think I was brave, parading in front of all those people wearing 'harim' pants & flimsy top, you were not there to see how I was quaking with nerves! Public appearances are NOT my forte! I only did that for Billy, so that his show would not be a flop. In those days, I never dreamed of even having a glass of 'Dutch courage' to boulster me. So, I am glad if I made you giggle at the thought of a 'half-naked, scared-stiff me. πŸ˜‰
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-15)
Adsouza & Bluerose, Thank you both for your kind words on the loss of our dear friend. It is always hard to lose a friend, no matter how they go, but this was particularly harsh. We are sure that Billy never had an enemy in the world, he counted everyone as his friend; always laughing & joking with all & sundry. His funeral was pretty big, it seemed like half of our little town was in attendance.
It was good to have the assurance that Billy was ok with his passing, although we didn't dare say anything to his family, for fear of being ostrocised. Even in this day and age, some people still think we are 'queer in the head' for our beliefs! πŸ˜‰
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-15)
MoonFall, Thank you for reading my stories, I hope you enjoyed them all. I hope you got to "Is there a ghost in the house?" before the last half of my story disappeared, that was the best part, I think.
I hope all is well with you now? With no more nasty scares. πŸ€”
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-15)
Argette, Thank you for deeming my story worthy of going to your favorites.
It is sometimes fun to post my memories, but sometimes it is heart-wrenching, as was the case this time. Memories of Billy, just came flooding back to Ray & I as we commited this to print.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-15)
Miracles, Thank you. Your kind words & tears touch me to the core. Billy was a great friend to both my husband & I. I often wonder where we would have been in life, if he were still with us. The few years that we knew him, were enough to fill the rest of our lives with his memories. RIP, Billy. ❀
critacal_gamer91 (3 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-04)
nice story it was very interesting sorry for the loss though
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-04-04)
wonderful post thank you for sharing fergie.
I always enjoy the "friends, loved ones, family and pets returning to let us know they are ok" posts on here and have to say even though it was such a waste of life, billy had to let your husband know it was an accident and that he was ok.
Loved it
Thankyou again
Carl
TheLurkingUnknown (1 stories) (19 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-03)
Such a unique and strange connection when you said one of a kind you definitely meant one of a kind
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-03)
Actually, a compulsion to eat non-food items such as dirt, glass and metal is a disorder called pica, sometimes but not always associated with nutritional deficiencies. It may be Billy suffered from this and incorporated it into his show. What an unfortunate accident. I'm glad he was able to set the record straight through your husband and that he seems to be at peace.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+4
12 years ago (2012-03-31)
I'm sure Billy would appreciate the following disclaimer: Kids, DO NOT try this at home!...Eating glass, razor blades, etc., is, as Fergie mentioned, a TRICK and should only be attempted by professionals... 😐

Fergie: What a wonderful relationship between your husband and Billy!...I like to think of them as kindred spirits... They will meet up again, either on this plane or the next...

Thank you for posting this heart-felt account... Faves bound! ❀
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-31)
Fergie,
I have a feeling that Billy would want to see smiles and hear the laughter in his honor. We cannot help but mourne the loss of one as special as he. The ones you feel can never go are taken too soon. Billy leaves an impression on all who read this account.
We have all been touched by him now, thanks to your wonderful memories. Thank you for introducing us to Billy, Fergie. Looks like he is still making friends to this day!
So in honor of Billy, and all who loved him, I raise my cup in salute to him, your husband, and you dear Fergie. And after drinking it down, I will then smash it in a final tribute.
To Billy!

Fergie, this song is for Billy, you, and your husband. I hope Billy doesn't mind...
Http://youtu.be/ZN3E9Yyd1HA

Jav ❀

~~I can't help but giggle at the thought of you up on the stage in a genie outfit. You are a very brave woman Fergie!~~ πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Bluerose19 (3 stories) (164 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-31)
Oh God!...I really feel very very sorry for Billy's loss. It must have been very hard for you and your husband to come to its term. But 1 thing is comforting that at least, you people do know that wherever Billy is,, he is doing fine and happy. May he rest in peace... Take care both of you...
adsouza (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2012-03-31)
Fergie - Of course I am going to add this one to my 'favorites'. Bot for an experience like this, I don't know whether I should use a word like 'favorite'.
I loved your account, and feel sorry for your loss. Its always painful to lose someone in the manner narrated.
MoonFall (1 stories) (48 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-31)
Hi, Fergie,

I have read two of your stories and they are quite heart warming with a little bitterness. It's always sad to lose those we are close to. I agree with the other poster that I'm glad your husband received peace regarding Billy's passing.

I plan to read the rest of your stories.

I was close to my great-grandmother and called her Granny.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: